At what point does a thread become necro?

Stormonu

Legend
Some boards are more strict on necro'ing a thread than others; ENWorld seems fairly lax - as long as it isn't something from the Edition Wars era, I suspect.

My personal answer would be is if it's sat for around 3 months without anyone adding to it, posting to it would be a necro. Overall, I don't think there's an absolute answer and it's just going to depend on the size of the thread and folk's impression of how long "old" is.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
How long does a thread have to be dormant to be considered necro, in your opinion.
Around here? I'd say "a year" or so, maybe more or less depending on the evergreenness of the topic. Other forums have different thresholds, depending on their culture and how active they are.

Whether it's a "good" necro or a "bad" necro depends on the topic and nature of the rezzer. It's "bad" when it's a bot posting irrelevant link-spam or something. It's usually good - and often a lot of fun - when it's rezzed by a poster (new or old) replying honestly to the topic. Overall, there's nothing especially wrong with thread necros, imo, since it doesn't happen a whole lot.

cranberry

Adventurer
Yep, this. I was on a board years ago that listed necro'ing a thread as bannable offense in the rules. Problem was, they didn't provide any time frame as to what they considered necro.

Some boards are more strict on necro'ing a thread than others; ENWorld seems fairly lax - as long as it isn't something from the Edition Wars era, I suspect.

Yep, this. I was on a board years ago that listed necro'ing a thread as bannable offense in the rules. Problem was, they didn't provide any time frame as to what they considered necro.
feel better now that you got a serious response here?
Season 4 Whatever GIF by The Office

Remove ads