• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At Will teleporting

CTurbo

Explorer
How cool would it be to have like a Night Crawler type character that could teleport at will? I suppose this would be broken, but is it really more broken than being able to fly?

CTurbo

Explorer
I was thinking of either replacing the walking with speed with an equal teleporting speed. Maybe that is the character's only means of moving hmm....

Or maybe the character can cast Misty Step at will as a bonus action. Yeah probably too OP. The rest of this character's features would have to be seriously lacking.

A mid-high tier full caster can already replicate this to an extent by spamming Misty Step of course at the expense of their other spells.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Make it equal to walking speed and I think it'd be fine. Except, of course, if you're looking to use "Get across this gap" as a challenge.

It'd have to take up more of a class's design space than the shadow monk's feature, since it could be used much more often (typically, it's possible that the shadow monk could have unlimited use if the whole campaing took place at night, say).

I'm not sure it could fit within a race like flight, though, because it does have some additional benefits, like helping to avoid opportunity attacks and getting out of grapples and other tight spaces.

But you never know with this sort of thing until you playtest it, so give it a whirl

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nah it’s no more crazy than flying speed.

I’ve edited the shadow monk to have at will teleport speed equal to their speed (half in bright light) using their movement at level 3, and it’s fine. Most of the time, the bonus action 60ft is just a vastly bigger deal than bypassing obstacles while using your speed.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
How cool would it be to have like a Night Crawler type character that could teleport at will? I suppose this would be broken, but is it really more broken than being able to fly?

Hmm, 5e restricts being able to fly all the time ...

Here's a suggestion. Just reskin your normal move speed to a "I *bamf*". See how many times you can' do what you would do with an actual teleport - avoid atacks of opportunity, go thru walls, get to the top of a tall wall, etc.

At the end, either appreciate how much it's a really powerful ability or say that it's nothing special and live with your reskinned walk since it does everything you need.

CTurbo

Explorer
I like comparing this to the Pact of the Chain Warlock. Having an Imp familiar is REALLY OP, but it's pretty much the only thing the class has outside of normal Warlock stuff of course.

I could see this being a Rogue Archtype but it being about the only feature. Maybe at higher levels you could add a little more flair to it. Like maybe a delayed teleport where you poof away but don't reappear immediately would be fun. I could see at higher levels letting any attack and hit immediately after a teleport being an auto crit (imagine teleporting directly behind an enemy all of a sudden and cutting it's throat or stabbing it in the back.)

Satyrn

First Post
I could see at higher levels letting any attack and hit immediately after a teleport being an auto crit (imagine teleporting directly behind an enemy all of a sudden and cutting it's throat or stabbing it in the back.)

Oh god. So many sneak attack dice! I think that'd be too much. Granting advantage on the attack would probably be better.

But the idea is a cool one.

CTurbo

Explorer
lol roll your 22d6 for that short sword attack! Yeah I thought about it being too strong. Maybe that could be it's capstone? Still too strong? lol

I was thinking advantage would be a given tbh. Maybe instead of insta crits, it could just gain the extended crit range the Champion does.

Or maybe Rogue was a poor choice...

Remove ads