• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attack Mod on Martial Powers

BooleanFlag

First Post
I've created my first character - a dwarf fighter. I compared him to the pre-"rolled" characters in KotS and I noticed that the attack rolls for powers were different.

I'll use cleave as an example. It says the attack roll for cleave is Strength vs. AC. Now, my strength mod is +2, but in the prerolled character, it says "+6 vs. AC". I got to thinking "how in the world is a first level character going to have a +6 strength mod?

My hypothesis is that martial powers that use your weapon use your weapon attack modifier (which makes sense - my attack mod on my warhammer is +6).

So either:
1) I screwed up creating my character
2) My hypothesis is correct.

Either way, I was wondering if anyone knew of an automated way to verify my character was rolled correctly? Like a spreadsheet or something? Or do I have to wait for DnD Insider?

Sorry if someone already asked this - I can't seem to locate the search feature.

Valerion Steele

First Post
it´s like this:
+2 str.mod.
+2 weapon prof. mod.
+1 dwarven weapon training
+1 fighter weapon talent
----------------------------
+6 total attack bonus

SuperJosh

First Post
I do not see anywhere that Dwarven Weapon Training gives you +1 to hit. All I see is prof with all axes/hammers and a + to damage.

BooleanFlag

First Post
Ok....

Ok, so when it says "Strength" it really means your streangth-based attack? If someone knows offhand, where can I find this in the rules? I'd like to learn how to fish, rather than being fed. (Not that I don't appreciate it - you guys were johnny on the spot with that sh*t.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
BooleanFlag said:
Ok, so when it says "Strength" it really means your streangth-based attack? If someone knows offhand, where can I find this in the rules? I'd like to learn how to fish, rather than being fed. (Not that I don't appreciate it - you guys were johnny on the spot with that sh*t.

Page 57 and Page 274 in the PHB

Lurker59

First Post
The dwarf pre-gen is +3 str, +2 prof, and +1 for two-handed weapon talent (fighter feature). So a +6 on Str based weapon attacks.

Kordeth

First Post
Valerion Steele said:
upps... remembered the dwarven training wrong... where does the other +1 come from then?

The pregen has a 16 Str--that's a +3 bonus, not +2. It comes out to +3 Str, +2 proficiency, +1 fighter weapon talent.

Remove ads