• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

attack of opportunity from jumping?

Starbuck_II

First Post
From SRD Jump skill entry

So unless specifically noted otherwise, jumping is done as part of a move action.

Also, even if a DM consider that a character can jump as a part of 5-foot step, if a character jumps up 5-foot or more, then he falls down 5-foot or more. At that moment he may provoke AoO.
Always tumble checks I guess.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
It sounds as if the DM in question has the totemist stay in one square and jump up. That's fine, IMO, although reasonable people can differ, because 3.5 is so weak on Y-axis movement. But if it's allowed, it must be considered movement, and it thus provokes an AoO.

Getting tripped on that AoO would suck.

And incidentally, if that is the case it would be a 5 ft standing high jump, with a DC of 40. And still provoke an AoO.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
And incidentally, if that is the case it would be a 5 ft standing high jump, with a DC of 40. And still provoke an AoO.
True enough. There are several options (I think several, though only Leap of the Clouds comes to mind by name) to drop the DC to 20, and I'd imagine a totemist built around the concept would make use of one of those options.

VanRichten

First Post
That is not true. 5-foot step does not provoke AoO. And when retreating, the square you started to move were not considered to be threatened by anyone.

You just repeated what i stated. Read what I said above.

Still, if you move 5-foot in any other way, say, moving 5-foot into a difficult terrain, you may provoke AoO (you cannot take a 5-foot step into a difficult terrain).

Then my statement holds true because that would not be a 5-foot step it would be at minimum a 10-foot step.

In this case, even if not charging, the attacker is neither taking a 5-foot step (because jumping is done as a part of a move action) nor taking a retreat action (because he is attacking). So likely to provoke AoO.

If he moves more than 5' and leaves a treatened square and does not use the retreat maneuver he provokes. In the case of a Retreat Maneuver the square you are exiting is not considered to be threatened, but if the one you enter is then you provoke. Also in the case of a Retreat you can do nothing that round other than move.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads