• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attack of Opportunity-themed Feats

Meeki

First Post
Power attack. Dodge. Weapon focus. Improved initiative. Spell focus. Spell Pen. Most metamgic feats. etc. etc.

Think of it this way would you rather get another attack off or have +1 to hit for all attacks next round? Most likely you will do more damage from an attack of opportunity than having +1 to hit for all attacks next round. Especially if you can just move/tumble to gain a flank.

Same idea for the sneak attack, 3.5 on average extra damage next round or make a normal attack with all bonuses applied. Remember that someone taking the opportunistic feats will be a lvl 10+ rogue who will be able to pick up improved crit or other feats that require higher levels the next time he gains a feat.

Tactical opportunity is an alright feat, very situational but decent. Reflexive opportunity is also great, even powerful as a feat, i can see it being abused frequently.

Brace for impact, who doesn't cast on the defensive?

The forebearing feats are also fairly situational. +1 dodge is nice but I'm not sure if its worth just taking a normal AoO attack. Maybe improved forebearing. Really i see polearms and reach fighters taking these feats, not swashbuckling rogues. That is why I recommended rolling some together into a tactical feat.

eamon

Explorer
Let me just say, I still think they're a fine idea as is, (after all, there are plenty of "too weak" feats, that's not nearly as bad as "too strong"!).

Let's take for example forbearing defense: This requires Combat expertise and Combat reflexes as prereq, and that means Int 13 and most likely Dex 12, 14 or more to take advantage of combat reflexes. That's quite a cost; and by using the feat you completely give up the benefit of combat reflexes. On the other hand, the benefit is quite good.

As-is, I think they're not bad, but because they're so situational, I don't think they'll be taken by many players. Extra active options are just an easy way to make em especially attractive to fighters (unlike dodge, which is just a hassle) and there are other feats that follow that model, since those characters often have few options otherwise; extra options mean something to them, and that's also the model Tome of Battle uses (quite successfully, by all accounts). It's a sneaky way of rebalancing not the power balance, but the choice balance, which hopefully won't break your game, but still make out-of-game player fun more balanced between classes.

Anyhows, I do think the feats are power-wise not badly balance, and are a good idea. Go ahead an use em, and see if anyone chooses em!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads