Attacking..

Oompa

First Post
So..

if i see an power with

Strength vs AC, do i just add my strength modifier to the d20?

Example: str is 14, modifier +2, attack is D20+2 vs AC

And if i see Strength +2 vs AC same as above only add an extra 2 ?

Can someone clarify this for me?

DangerAbe

First Post
No. You add 1/2 Level plus Strength modifier and attempt to get higher than the target's AC.

1/2 Level is added to all attack rolls.

If it says Strength +2 vs. AC then you add: 1/2 Level + Strength mod + 2.

Last edited:

Seanusan

First Post
So, if you use a power do you ignore the Weapon Proficiency (+2 or +3) bonus and any other bonuses you get through feats or class abilities (like the fighters)?

This is a question that came up when my wife and I were making her a character yesterday.

neceros

Adventurer
The ability shown there is just letting you know what to add.

You always add all modifiers when using a weapon and you have proficiency. Feats, Racial, Class and item bonuses always apply for basic and power attacks.

Andur

First Post
If a power has Weapon or Implement as a keyword in the descriptor than you add the bonuses granted from the weapon or implement.

So being proficient in longsword doesn't help you hit wit Magic Missile, but it does help you hit with Cleave.

Wraithdrit

First Post
If the implement is weapon, you also add prof. bonus if you are prof in the weapon you are wielding. If the implement in question (weapon, wand, etc) is enhanced you add that modifier as well.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Here's a question. Let's say you have a longsword +3 and a +4 strength bonus. If you use a power that does 1[w]+STR, then it does 1d8+7 dmg. But what happens if you use a power that only does 1[w] dmg? Do you do 1d8+3, or 1d8?

Seanusan

First Post
Okay, thanks, it line for that was not too descriptive. I did the math like suggested, but was unsure if she should really have that +8 to hit with all of her powers.

Wow, looks like her warrior is a beast!

DangerAbe said:
No. You add 1/2 Level plus Strength modifier and attempt to get higher than the target's AC.

1/2 Level is added to all attack rolls.

If it says Strength +2 vs. AC then you add: 1/2 Level + Strength mod + 2.
Its actually just a bit more complicated then that. When an attack says [Ability] vs [Defense] you are making an ability attack. When you make an ability attack you add the following modifiers:

ability mod + 1/2 your level + weapon proficiency + class bonus + feat bonus + enhancement bonus if your weapon is magical + any other bonus.

So if you are a 6th leve fighter with a 16 STR fighting with a greatsword, and have chosen the two handed weapon style and an attack says STR vs Defense your total to hit is:

1d20 + 3 (STR) + 3 (1/2 level) +3 (proficiency) + 1 (class bonus) = 1d20 + 10

Remove ads