Attributes and Builds

Yeoman

First Post
So from what I've gleaned from a friend's book, and discussions here, I see that most sample builds tend to emphasize one attribute over all others, or forgo a class's secondary attribute. What I wonder is, is it viable for a character to go both ways on attributes. Like I was thinking of playing a human cleric using both wisdom and strength powers, but I can't tell if that would be a viable option or if I need to go with one attribute or the other.

Thank you for your time,

Old Gumphrey

First Post
That'd make you more versatile, but less powerful overall. Definitely viable, unless "viable" only means "as powerful as possible", much like it did in 3e.

Yeoman

First Post
Old Gumphrey said:
That'd make you more versatile, but less powerful overall. Definitely viable, unless "viable" only means "as powerful as possible", much like it did in 3e.

Well, I mean viable in the sense of, will I be a useful member of the party, or a benchwarmer. :)

Surgoshan

First Post
A character that makes use of both secondary attributes is definitely viable, but it takes more careful management of resources, I think.

By spreading your discretionary stat advancements between two feats, you'll be lowering your ability to hit by two, which will have a fairly significant impact, but it won't nerf your character. You'll want to make sure your abilities are targeting lower defenses (ie. not AC).

Eldorian

First Post
It can actually make you more powerful if splitting the stats up allows you to diversify your attack powers in a meaningful way, such as targeting different defenses and using different types of attack, such as ranged vs close vs area vs melee.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
It also depends on what class you're talking about.

Fighter, paladin, wizard, warlord, and rogue are all keyed off one main stat no matter which "build" you choose, so you don't really lose much by keeping both secondary stats fairly close.

Ranger, cleric, and warlock are the only classes that give you an option as to which will be your primary stat. With these ones, it's really better to pick a build and stick with it.

Incidentally, does anyone else find the following breakdown weird?

Strength: Primary stat for 5 classes
Dex: Primary stat for 2 classes
Con: Primary stat for 1 class
Wis: Primary stat for 1 class
Int: Primary stat for 1 class
Cha: Primary stat for 1 class

Rystil Arden

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
It also depends on what class you're talking about.

Fighter, paladin, wizard, warlord, and rogue are all keyed off one main stat no matter which "build" you choose, so you don't really lose much by keeping both secondary stats fairly close.

Ranger, cleric, and warlock are the only classes that give you an option as to which will be your primary stat. With these ones, it's really better to pick a build and stick with it.

Incidentally, does anyone else find the following breakdown weird?

Strength: Primary stat for 5 classes
Dex: Primary stat for 2 classes
Con: Primary stat for 1 class
Wis: Primary stat for 1 class
Int: Primary stat for 1 class
Cha: Primary stat for 1 class
Actually, the Paladin has a reasonable assortment of Cha and Str based powers, with Wis secondary in lots of places. If you wanted, you could play a Paladin who dumped wither Cha or Str. Other than that small switch on your lists, the sentiment is right on the money.

Yeoman said:
Well, I mean viable in the sense of, will I be a useful member of the party, or a benchwarmer. :)
The amount bonii you get from charisma isn't actually that high, and you can raise two stats from you level increases. So long as you have one attack stat at 18, and one at 16 you should be fine.

WalterKovacs

First Post
small pumpkin man said:
The amount bonii you get from charisma isn't actually that high, and you can raise two stats from you level increases. So long as you have one attack stat at 18, and one at 16 you should be fine.

Assuming a point buy ... you can get a pair of 16's [with 4 points left over to spend]. With the correct race, that can mean you have something like an 18/16/14 for your "big" stats ... or two 18's and a 12 [could up it to 13 for feat requirements]. If you are able to wear heavy armor ... having DEX/INT as your "third" stat could be ok ... your Reflex suffers, but your AC is still pretty good [you pretty much need an 18 in your Reflex ability to make the armor better than heavy stuff ... it's just a matter of armor profiency to find the "best"].

A Half-Elf Warlock, for example, can have an 18 in both attack stats, with about 13 in Int ... unfortunately, that would give them bad AC. They could go with bumping up their STR enough to get into some heavier armor instead.

If you don't go with a pair of 16's though, you could instead have 16/14/14/13/10/8 ... which gives you 4 stats for the purposes of feats, a minimum of +2 for 2 saves and a +3 to the third ... before racial bonuses, etc ... You'd probably want your racial bonus to get the 16 to 18 and have that be your "main" attack skill ...

Certain classes are "focused" on a single attack skill, with secondary skills only relating to secondary effects.

All fighter stuff is STR Vs., for example, with the various other suggested things modifying certain powers [based on the weapon used].

On the other hand, you have cleric split down the middle with half being STR vs. X and the rest as WIS Vs. Y ... so it sucks for Humans ... you get a bonus at-will from the OTHER build type ... and you only get a single +2 so you'd only really be good at one build type in the first place. [Meaning there are definitely some classes better for humans than others ... namely the ones where opposing "builds" still have a shared attack roll ability.

[Also ... a sidenote. As was pointed out, STR is the main stat for many classes ... and outside of the Human ... only the Dragonborn can boost STR in the PHB.

Remove ads