Audio in banner ads

moxcamel

Explorer
I just clicked on a forum link only to have "YOU'VE WON!" blasted through my speakers by an epileptic-fit-inducing 60Khz flashing banner ad at the top.

Please tell me this is an anomaly. I don't mind ad-supported, and in fact I click on the occasional ad just to make sure the fine folks here at ENWorld see a few quid for their efforts. I don't want to have to install ad-blockers, but audio ads are a deal-breaker for me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You're a community supporter - you don't need ad blockers. Just turn them off in your settings.

If you can let me know which ad it is, I can let Ed Healy know about it. It's not one I've seen.

moxcamel

Explorer
You're a community supporter - you don't need ad blockers. Just turn them off in your settings.

If you can let me know which ad it is, I can let Ed Healy know about it. It's not one I've seen.

Well as I mentioned, I like to support the site with click-throughs. I don't know what the ad was, it was one of those "ZOMG YOU WIN!" ads that flashes. If I run across it again I'll point it out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We'll need to know what URL it links to so Ed can block it (it'll be one if an infinite number of possible Google ads, so describing it won't help, unfortunately).

moxcamel

Explorer
If it happens again I'll grab the URL. As it was, I closed the tab as quickly as I could because I was at work, where everyone learned that I was a "winner." :blush:

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
If it happens again I'll grab the URL. As it was, I closed the tab as quickly as I could because I was at work, where everyone learned that I was a "winner." :blush:

I dunno, I could use the positive affirmation now and again. I may just go grab the .wav for it and make it my email notification chime. "You're a winner!!!"

Why yes, yes I am!

I should edit to add: In the last week or so (around the time of the 'malware incident'), the ads have definitely changed. They used to be "gamer specific", now I see all kinds of random stuff. (I know you don't have control over this [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] , and there are likely several parts to the algorythm for the ads, but something definitely changed and it is something you might want to know.)

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Got it again.
Went to:
Code:
http://localpromotions.info/content/multipromo/index_v5.php?cid=XAJAN2011&audio

And not only does it do that 'Congratulations' very loudly it flashes at a very annoyingly high rate.

See the attachment for what it looks like.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 124

Remove ads