Authors of the Book of Vile Darkness

Pour

First Post
I have a mind to actually sit down and, over the course of the summer, put together a Book of Vile Darkness, Necronomicon, or something less trademarky. My idea is to illustrate it, as well, on different kinds of papers and textures (hide?) and to really try and bring home the feeling that this book is drawn from innumerable ancient cultures across all kinds of worlds and time periods, a sort of evil, occult palimpsest in look and feel. I'd then scan, photograph, or recreate via CS5 the book to share with you all via PDF.

My question to the general public is who do you believe, want, or suspect contributed to the book over the course of just about all settings, games, and fictions? Even if I can't used the trademark names, I'm confident I could create fictional authors and entities inspired by these figures to where it would still be satisfying.

Any name or archetype you could add to my list would be appreciated.

frankthedm

First Post
Even if I can't used the trademark names, I'm confident I could create fictional authors and entities inspired by these figures to where it would still be satisfying.
Good news. Those who thought they had the copyright to HPL's work, have no proof of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft#Copyright

Don't make the mistake of thinking anything derivative of HPL is public domain though. Any collaborations he had with other authors, or authors that used his themes still might be covered by Copyreich. So if HPL actually wrote it in a story or a poem by himself, fair game. OTOH if it was a collaboration or an interpretation by Derleth or Chaosium, do your homework.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
My question to the general public is who do you believe, want, or suspect contributed to the book over the course of just about all settings, games, and fictions? Even if I can't used the trademark names, I'm confident I could create fictional authors and entities inspired by these figures to where it would still be satisfying.

Any name or archetype you could add to my list would be appreciated.

Are we limited to D&D here? Or will a BBEG from any (fantasy) media do?

Pour

First Post
I think just about anyone you'd consider as potentially having a hand writing this book would work. I'm in the process of compiling my own list, but curious what anyone else would add.

I like the blight druid suggestion.

delericho

Legend
The Knight in Shining Armour gone bad. Basically, Darth Vader (or Lord Soth).

And then, the various advisors who manipulated his fall.

Remove ads