• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Automatic success/failure

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Rystil Arden said:
Yes, I did mean for it to be monodirectional. And yup, you can't get exactly either a 20 or a 1, but then, you couldn't really get a 20 or a 1 under the other system, either, since they were just abstracted as auto-results.
Well, true. World Tree doesn't have crits, they have ... I forget the term they use. Each weapon has an extra damage bonus. For every 10 points you roll above the enemy's defense, you deal extra damage. A crit/auto-result system is more simple.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Well, true. World Tree doesn't have crits, they have ... I forget the term they use. Each weapon has an extra damage bonus. For every 10 points you roll above the enemy's defense, you deal extra damage. A crit/auto-result system is more simple.
I don't like auto-success on 20 because I don't think that a shaky, epileptic peasant-child wielding a wooden stick nonproficiently at -8 should have the same chance to hit the AC 42 Gold Dragon as a Level 11 Fighter with +21 to attack.

Bryan898

First Post
Yes, but think it Skill's did have auto-success or failure. A commoner would have a one in twenty chance of launching himself into orbit with Jump :p .

Jdvn1

Rystil Arden said:
I don't like auto-success on 20 because I don't think that a shaky, epileptic peasant-child wielding a wooden stick nonproficiently at -8 should have the same chance to hit the AC 42 Gold Dragon as a Level 11 Fighter with +21 to attack.
I think the AC 42 Gold Dragon disagrees. :p

Jdvn1

Bryan898 said:
Yes, but think it Skill's did have auto-success or failure. A commoner would have a one in twenty chance of launching himself into orbit with Jump :p .
... And that's why the population is so low...

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bryan898 said:
And you could pay 50 Schmoes to go gather information about the super-secret dark mystery that nobody except one man knows (DC 50) and the chance of not learning it after one day would be low.

diaglo

Adventurer
Bryan898 said:
this so reminds me of the gun rules in 2ed.

every time you rolled a 10. you added another % to damage....

potential to do infinite damage... although, infinitely impossible to roll.

Jdvn1

Rystil Arden said:
The Dragon is happy--he likes telescoping dice rolls because it doesn't give the Fighter a better chance to hit, but it gives the child a worse chance to hit ;)
If the epileptic peasant-child has a stick that can by pass the Gold Dragon's DR, the child probably is probably deceptively powerful anyway. :p

Jdvn1

diaglo said:
this so reminds me of the gun rules in 2ed.

every time you rolled a 10. you added another % to damage....

potential to do infinite damage... although, infinitely impossible to roll.
That would be a very long gaming session.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads