Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game Kickstarter is live!

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today. Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so. Update -- after...

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today.

Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so.

Update -- after less than two days, it has made over $2.3M, already making it the biggest TTRPG Kickstarter ever (with nearly a month yet to go!)

9981ccd83ca099727cc5c12299cc7d7a_original.jpg

Avatar Legends: The RPG is a heroic fantasy game set in the universe of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in which you and your friends take on the role of young heroes from across the Four Nations who have joined together to make the world a better place. It’s a game for people of all ages who want to look at the world beyond the scope of the existing stories and explore the meaningful actions heroes take for the good of others.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
A lot of video games use S through F, popular wisdom attributes it to Japan and the only sources I'm finding corroborate that. I know its VERY common within that sphere, its rare to have a game where 'grades' aren't on that scale, and a lot of people grew up with it being represented to them so its pretty ubiquoutous at this point.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A lot of video games use S through F, popular wisdom attributes it to Japan and the only sources I'm finding corroborate that. I know its VERY common within that sphere, its rare to have a game where 'grades' aren't on that scale, and a lot of people grew up with it being represented to them so its pretty ubiquoutous at this point.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this S to F thing everybody is talking about?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A tier of what? Quality? Sales? Budget? Smell?
Whatever you are ranking. It's a tiering system, it has no inherent link to what is being tiered. You could use it for how spicy a meal is, with straight ghost pepper being an S.

It's just ranking things A, B, C, D, E or F, and if something is far beyond A it gets an S instead - but that doesn't mean anything gets an S. If everything is within a normal distribution you're just looking A-F.

If you were looking at units sold of RPG product, WotC would be "S" compared to most other publishers just because it's so far ahead. I don't know if Paizo would also be and S or not, it's not exclusive. It's just in a category of it's own - sort of there's little hope of getting promoted from A to S, while changes are more possible in A-F.

Aldarc

Legend
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this S to F thing everybody is talking about?
A lot of this came out of video game parlance. I believe actually from a lot of fighting games (e.g., Street Fighter 2, etc.).

I really first encountered it with MOBAs (Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas). If you were playing a MOBA game - e.g., League of Legends, Dota 2, Smite, Heroes of the Storm, etc. - you would have a choice of characters to choose from to build a team. But some characters are more useful or powerful than others due to their abilities, while some are only situationally useful depending on the team composition. So these characters are often ranked into the aforementioned tiers (often by role), which others have explained, based upon the meta.

Tier rankings have since expanded to D&D as well. One can easily find people, including Treantmonk or Dungeon Dudes, ranking character options in 5e D&D according to this tier list.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm aware of the generic concept of grades from A-F, obviously (they're common parlance). I didn't realise this was the same thing (I thought it was some specific video game thing), and hadn't heard of "S".

Now I know!

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm aware of the generic concept of grades from A-F, obviously (they're common parlance). I didn't realise this was the same thing (I thought it was some specific video game thing), and hadn't heard of "S".

Now I know!

Treantmonk breaks down the ranking system at the start of his ranking videos. At about six minutes in he explains it.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So, the guy who makes his living running a gaming news site hasn't heard of it...

Maybe not all that common in RPG circles.
The news on the site heavily focuses on the business and publishers side of things. This is very common player-side convention.

Remove ads

Remove ads