Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game Kickstarter is live!

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today. Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so. Update -- after...

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today.

Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so.

Update -- after less than two days, it has made over $2.3M, already making it the biggest TTRPG Kickstarter ever (with nearly a month yet to go!)

9981ccd83ca099727cc5c12299cc7d7a_original.jpg

Avatar Legends: The RPG is a heroic fantasy game set in the universe of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in which you and your friends take on the role of young heroes from across the Four Nations who have joined together to make the world a better place. It’s a game for people of all ages who want to look at the world beyond the scope of the existing stories and explore the meaningful actions heroes take for the good of others.

Skywalker

Adventurer
It’s got about 30K backers. D&D is in the tens of millions.
Though Avatar Legends is not going to challenge D&D, this comparison is a little disingenuous.

Backers do not equal total players. Backers are a small subset of total players. Though WotC hasn’t done a D&D KS, we do know that no D&D KS has had half the backers that Avatar Legends has achieved in its first week.

Also, Avatar Legends has 35k backers to date after 7 days. It has 25 or so days left to go. I am not sure what the final total will be but we could be looking at 70-100k if it continues as it looks like it is going to. That’s significant, right? Plus 20% of those are new to KS, which suggests that there may be a decent chunk of new RPGers in there too.

Despite it being an existing IP, the RPG is brand new, or at least relatively new if you factor in Masks as it’s predecessor. It hasn’t the years to build a fanbase that D&D has had.

This KS really is a phenomenon. I am sure almost everyone in the RPG industry is watching the KS with interest. It has put Magpie and Avatar Legends on the map in a way that is going to cause ripples for the hobby going forward.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Backers do not equal total players. Backers are a small subset of total players. Though WotC hasn’t done a D&D KS, we do know that no D&D KS has had half the backers that Avatar Legends has achieved in its first week.
Well, no, we'll never see a D&D core rules Kickstarter.
Also, Avatar Legends has 35k backers to date after 7 days. It has 25 or so days left to go. I am not sure what the final total will be but we could be looking at 70-100k if it continues as it looks like it is going to. That’s significant, right? Plus 20% of those are new to KS, which suggests that there may be a decent chunk of new RPGers in there too.

Also, despite it being an existing IP, the RPG is brand new, or at least relatively new if you factor in Masks as it’s predecessor. It hasn’t the years to build a fanbase that D&D has had.

This KS really is a phenomenon. I am sure almost everyone in the RPG industry is watching the KS with interest. It’s has put Magpie and Avatar Legends on the map in a way that is going to cause ripples for the hobby going forward.
Of course. You don't need to convince anybody that this KS is significant or a phenomenon. Everybody's on board with that. It's awe inspiring!

Feepdake

Explorer
Though Avatar Legends is not going to challenge D&D, this comparison is a little disingenuous.

Despite it being an existing IP, the RPG is brand new, or at least relatively new if you factor in Masks as it’s predecessor. It hasn’t the years to build a fanbase that D&D has had.

This KS really is a phenomenon. I am sure almost everyone in the RPG industry is watching the KS with interest. It has put Magpie and Avatar Legends on the map in a way that is going to cause ripples for the hobby going forward.
And don't forget about late pledges too.

darjr

I crit!
Kingdoms and Warfare had over 19 thousand backers and Kingdoms and streaming had over 28 thousand. Both for really focused, niche D&D supplements. Avatar is for the whole game and, according to some, most of everything we’ll ever see of it.

I get your overall point but both of those are at least about half.

Feepdake

Explorer
Plus there's a high possibility of a spillover effect. Backers and players who end up joining Magpie's Discord server or browsing their site might very well end up playing or purchasing other Magpie PbtA games, including upcoming ones that haven been announced (Root, Urban Shadows 2) and that haven't (perhaps other well-known and beloved IPs?).

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's not as glamorous as a stretch goal, but I kinda wish that one goal would simply contribute to the reductions in shipping costs on the customer side.

Almost everything about such a project works with economy of scale - the more you do, the cheaper it becomes per unit. IIRC, the one thing that doesn't get cheaper with scale is shipping to people's homes.

Last edited:

ruemere

Adventurer
Thank you for providing the link to the review. It looks like the game is much more interesting than what I expected*. Backed the project.

* Traditionally, PbtA games often rely on players to shape the narrative, making the flow somewhat centered around their characters since the presence of an NPC is felt mostly through complications. This is a bit too limiting for me.

Remove ads

Remove ads