awkward situation

When I first started reading this thread, I thought you were going to say there were still dozens of them still alive, but then you counted up maybe one dozen total. So, if there are so few of them left alive and their leaders are dead, why do the survivors even have any morale left that would enable them to stay there? I would think the lowest would flee, while maybe a couple of others would think to retreat and go for backup rather than just mindlessly run. That would leave only a few more still there. It does not matter how Lawful the race may be, Evil is very cowardly when solo or in very small numbers, especially when they know the ones who just trashed their forces will emerge at full power in mere hours, or even minutes, if they have no clue how much time has already passed since the party holed up in the leader's rooms.

Oofta

Legend
Another option (instead of or in addition to) collapsing the ceiling is to smoke the PCs out. When the PCs come out (after a few saving throws vs being sickened by the smoke) the duergar have hastily set up traps and small ambushes. Since there aren't many duergar and I assume they aren't suicidal, there's no reason for them to attack head on.

That plays into them being sneaky little SOB's that are fond of ambushes.

pukunui

Legend
So, if there are so few of them left alive and their leaders are dead, why do the survivors even have any morale left that would enable them to stay there? I would think the lowest would flee, while maybe a couple of others would think to retreat and go for backup rather than just mindlessly run. That would leave only a few more still there. It does not matter how Lawful the race may be, Evil is very cowardly when solo or in very small numbers, especially when they know the ones who just trashed their forces will emerge at full power in mere hours, or even minutes, if they have no clue how much time has already passed since the party holed up in the leader's rooms.
Well, that's one of the reasons I posted. I can easily see the survivors thinking this isn't worth the bother, cut their losses and return to the Underdark. Then again, one or both of the surviving overseers might have enough resolve to rally the remaining forces and at least make a show of strength or make the effort to bury the PCs alive before withdrawing.

But it does seem like the duergar position in the stronghold is untenable. They haven't got enough manpower to hold the fort now, and reinforcements are probably weeks away. So it might very well be more logical for them to simply abandon it and go back to the Underdark ... with perhaps a long-term goal of rallying more troops assault the hold again and hopefully keep it.

It was their durzagon leader's idea to ally with the Red Wizards. Perhaps the surviving duergar are not so keen and would rather stay alive than risk their lives for some pasty-faced weirdos.

How does this sound?

1) Once the surviving duergar figure out the situation, they come and test the PCs' defenses. When they realize it would potentially be suicidal to try and assault them in the barricaded room, they decide to bury them alive by collapsing the ceiling in the corridor. But they have the courtesy of telling the PCs this by sending an interpreter, who can reveal that the duergars' slaves are the missing villagers from Julkoun. The interpreter will warn them that if the PCs let themselves be buried alive, then the duergar will most likely take the slaves off into the Underdark and they'll never been seen or heard from again. (I might have the interpreter tell them that there less than a dozen duergar left as well.)

That way it will be a hard choice for the players: Do we stay in here, rest up, and then have to dig our way out and lose the villagers, or do we take the risk and bust out now and hope we can defeat the remaining duergar before they defeat us so we can potentially rescue the slaves and take them home to their village (which the PCs previously liberated from the hobgoblins and is now being watched over by allies)?

Perhaps the villagers might even want to help the PCs. Maybe they make a distraction to help the PCs get out of their hole without having to face a full duergar ambush. (The adventure as written does suggest that, if the PCs invade the mines while the villagers are still there, they will help the PCs by distracting their duergar guards by grabbing at their feet and otherwise getting in the way; on the flip side, it also says the duergar are not above using them as human shields ....)

Last edited:

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
One thing to note was that the duergar were trying to gain a foothold and use Firehammer as a permanent dwelling. They were also the "arms dealer" for Baazka and the Thayans being expected to support the Thayans, their Gnolls and Hobgoblins. Maybe have Baazka posses one of the other dueregar and have them gain some sort of spell abilities from that. Also, maybe a contingent of gnolls in the area perhaps are brought in to help fortify and root out the trouble. Or perhaps Baazka's fiendish ability can summon more driders or other creatures from the depths that they poured in from. I'd say have fun with it and do what makes the best story. If it was me, I'd use the hostages, have reinforcements and have Baazka re-posses but that's kind of how I roll with that in these situations - lol.

pukunui

Legend
That’s actually an interesting idea. Baazka didn’t possess the durzagon because of his fiendish heritage but that doesn’t mean he wouldnt try and possess one of the survivors. And the easiest way for Baazka to get more reinforcements would be through the infernal summoning circle thing that, by default, just summons up some lemures.

For the record, I hadn’t factored the summoning circle thing in previously because it’s set up as more of a trap for the PCs to stumble upon, and I don’t think the regular duergar would know how to use it anyway. It was something their fiendish leader did, and he was probably the only one who could use it. But if one of the duergar is possesssed by the fiendish spirit of Baazka, the circumstances might change.

[sblock]As an aside, I find it odd that Baazka can somehow possess multiple creatures simultaneously and yet still be free to move around and watch the PCs. I’ve dismissed it as some unique power he’s learned as a fiend stuck in a murky spirit state but still ... it’s weird.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
The duergar are slavers. If they had more strength, I would say counterattack and the party can either try to escape or potentially be enslaved. However, since the duergar are so weakened, I would go with the caevin or retreat for them.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
That’s actually an interesting idea. Baazka didn’t possess the durzagon because of his fiendish heritage but that doesn’t mean he wouldnt try and possess one of the survivors. And the easiest way for Baazka to get more reinforcements would be through the infernal summoning circle thing that, by default, just summons up some lemures.

For the record, I hadn’t factored the summoning circle thing in previously because it’s set up as more of a trap for the PCs to stumble upon, and I don’t think the regular duergar would know how to use it anyway. It was something their fiendish leader did, and he was probably the only one who could use it. But if one of the duergar is possesssed by the fiendish spirit of Baazka, the circumstances might change.

[sblock]As an aside, I find it odd that Baazka can somehow possess multiple creatures simultaneously and yet still be free to move around and watch the PCs. I’ve dismissed it as some unique power he’s learned as a fiend stuck in a murky spirit state but still ... it’s weird.[/sblock]

Funny you mention that about Baazka's ability - I had the same reaction but it made things interesting as it tipped off my PCs that something is definitely linking these encounters...

pukunui

Legend
Funny you mention that about Baazka's ability - I had the same reaction but it made things interesting as it tipped off my PCs that something is definitely linking these encounters...

Yeah, it does provide a valuable link. My players certainly noticed that Nalifarn the durzagon did *not* explode when they killed him like the others had. They are also suitably creeped out by all the animals that watch them when they're in Daggerford. So much so that they've asked both Sir Isteval and Delfen the wizard if they know anything about what's going on with the animals. Luckily, I've been able to obfuscate things a little because one of the PCs is a tiefling, so the NPCs have both said that they can't rule out that it has something to do with her heritage rather than the missions they've been undertaking.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Yeah, it does provide a valuable link. My players certainly noticed that Nalifarn the durzagon did *not* explode when they killed him like the others had. They are also suitably creeped out by all the animals that watch them when they're in Daggerford. So much so that they've asked both Sir Isteval and Delfen the wizard if they know anything about what's going on with the animals. Luckily, I've been able to obfuscate things a little because one of the PCs is a tiefling, so the NPCs have both said that they can't rule out that it has something to do with her heritage rather than the missions they've been undertaking.

Ahhh - clever thinking using the tiefling as an excuse. All in all, I really liked this adventure. I'm a bit miffed that the real 'end' to this ends up being in "Dead in Thay" though - that doesn't seem to make much sense to me...

Remove ads