• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Azathoth took Toughness?

Cthulhu

First Post
Cthulhu was never known as a "chief god" or even a "greater god". In fact, he's barely mentioned by Lovecraft. Authors who wrote about him later may have added to his description, and tried to increase his position in the mythos, but he's really just a godlike priest of his race.

*winces*

Son, your words wound me. :(

Swack-Iron

First Post
Neowolf said:
OMG! Call of Cthulhu just jumped up from "look through" status to "pre-order NOW" status. :D

I'm sorry. I enjoy d20 Wheel of Time, and d20 Star Wars. But Azathoth's stat block is another prime example to me of why d20 Call of Cthulhu is just wrong, wrong, wrong! The horrors of Lovecraft's mythos are horrors precicely because they are alien and unfathomable, and beyond humanity's ability to comprehend. Reducing a god of the mythos (or even the Great Old Ones in the d20 Annual earlier this year) to a stat block, as if you had a chance of understanding what a Lovecraftian Outer God is capable of, goes totally against the genre.

This is one WotC d20 product I'll be skipping. I'll keep playing my Chaosium CoC and Pagan Publishing's Delta Green.

SCOOP: BTW, someone posted a comment on the Delta Green mailing list this morning that Erik Mona had said that d20 Delta Green was go. Much as I love Delta Green, I think I'll have to skip that one, too.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hmmm... Given that it's a 72 HD Outsider, that means it's BAB is +72.

It could Power Attack for 72, raising it's damage to 4d6+89 and still have a +30 attack bonus. =P (More likely it would only put 42 points into power attack, anything it fights will probably have an AC in the 60+ range, and taking a -42 on it's attack still gives it a +60 attack bonus.)

Just a random observation...

Neowolf

First Post
Granted, I generally disagree with the idea of giving a god stats (kinda defeats the purpose of them being a god), but what impressed me there was how well they captured the mood of the stories in a game. For the record, I've never had a chance to play Chaosium's CoC game(s), much to my disappointment. :(

Plus, one of the big selling points for me of CoC D20 is that it's on a system I already know and love.

Last edited:

Hi there Aaron mate! :)

Aaron L said:
Hey U_K, when D&Dg comes out, would you post an "UberGod" version of Azathoth? I am sure you could easily adjust him/it.

Yeah, no problem.

I was going redress the Uber-deity status anyway since I divide it into three (Elder God/Overgod/Entity) as it is.

Cthulhu (et al.) can't be copyrighted (correct?) so I don't think I'll get into trouble if I ever (re)determine the power of some of the heavy hitters!?

Azathoth wouldn't be that different though (if I am reading D&Dg mechanics correct based on previews to date?); probably another 20 HD and an additional 10 Divine Ranks to be honest (92 HD; Divine Rank 30).

Hi Caliban! :)

Caliban said:
Hmmm... Given that it's a 72 HD Outsider, that means it's BAB is +72.

It could Power Attack for 72, raising it's damage to 4d6+89 and still have a +30 attack bonus. =P (More likely it would only put 42 points into power attack, anything it fights will probably have an AC in the 60+ range, and taking a -42 on it's attack still gives it a +60 attack bonus.)

Just a random observation...

and Greater Gods always get the best result from any dice*.

*according to Dragon Magazine/Game Trade Magazine previews of Deities & Demigods.

Regarding his BAB the noted figure of +102 looks wrong though.

If we assume typical Outsider Continuance it should be +110 (72 + 20 + 1 + 17)

If we go by Epic Progression it should be +84 (46 + 20 + 1 + 17).

So I don't know how they arrived at +102; I must be missing something!?

Swack-Iron said:

I'm sorry. I enjoy d20 Wheel of Time, and d20 Star Wars. But Azathoth's stat block is another prime example to me of why d20 Call of Cthulhu is just wrong, wrong, wrong! The horrors of Lovecraft's mythos are horrors precicely because they are alien and unfathomable, and beyond humanity's ability to comprehend. Reducing a god of the mythos (or even the Great Old Ones in the d20 Annual earlier this year) to a stat block, as if you had a chance of understanding what a Lovecraftian Outer God is capable of, goes totally against the genre.

This is one WotC d20 product I'll be skipping. I'll keep playing my Chaosium CoC and Pagan Publishing's Delta Green.

SCOOP: BTW, someone posted a comment on the Delta Green mailing list this morning that Erik Mona had said that d20 Delta Green was go. Much as I love Delta Green, I think I'll have to skip that one, too.

You have no reason to worry - the stats of the Gods and Great Old Ones in CoCd20 ARE NOT included in the normal part of the book. It's part of a special DnD/CoC cross-over chapter at the end of the book. May I also remind you that the original CoC games have stats for the Gods and Great Old Ones as well?

-Zarrock

(Since no-one seems to be viewing, or at least commenting on, the link.....)

Topic 1273 [writers]: HELP! I quit my job to become a writer. What's Next?
#553 of 554: Stephan Zielinski (szielins) Mon Feb 24 '97 (21:12) 47 lines

> How did you lose contact with your characters?
Well, what usually happens to me is they move and don't leave a forwarding address.

Then, when I catch up to them again, they give me this *look*. "Since the last time we worked together," one said to me just the other day, "I've met a wonderful woman, I've got a good job, I've got respect in my community. When I was working with you, I spent all day poring over ancient texts in languages I barely knew, and spent all night running away from zombies. And when it was all done, I had nothing to show for it but a half-dozen concealed weapons violations to answer for in the Hall of Justice, and the bill from a therapist who thought I'd hallucinated the whole thing and should probably be institutionalized."

"It won't be zombies this time," I said.

"Oh, of course not. I know all about zombies now. It'll be something else, probably that I've never heard of. And I'll either lose my girlfriend, when I start muttering under my breath, or worse she'll believe me and spend two months as a target."

"Look, all this is negotiable. Let me introduce you to... hrm... an ex-KGB emigre? A gun runner, so you'll never have to worry about running out of bullets again. You'll like her, she's a stunning blonde, eyes as blue as the sea, endearing mole on the back of her hand..."

"Come off it. Once we defeat the weresnails or whatever it is you've got waiting in the wings, we're supposed to settle down? I'm an archaeologist, for crying out loud. She's supposed to give up her gun-running ring and watch me dust off potshards for the rest of her life?"

"Well, you could show her the error of her ways."

"Terrific. And what are we going to talk about over the Sunday paper? `My goodness, honey, it sure is terrific being able to spend time with you without having to make sure I've got a silver dagger where I can reach it.'"

"What could I say to convince you?"

"`I'm writing erotica now.'"

Wolfspider

Explorer

Even though Zarrock said it first, I feel compelled to reiterate: The original, classic Call of Cthulhu game also includes stat blocks for all the Outer gods, Great Old Ones, and other alien "unfathomable" beings. Oops! :eek:

I'm afraid you'll have to throw out your Chaosium CoC and Delta Green stuff too. If you don't mind, I'd love it if you'd send your books to me. I'll gladly pay shipping. Email me for details. :D

Remove ads