• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Azathoth took Toughness?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Swack-Iron said:

I'm sorry. I enjoy d20 Wheel of Time, and d20 Star Wars. But Azathoth's stat block is another prime example to me of why d20 Call of Cthulhu is just wrong, wrong, wrong! The horrors of Lovecraft's mythos are horrors precicely because they are alien and unfathomable, and beyond humanity's ability to comprehend. Reducing a god of the mythos (or even the Great Old Ones in the d20 Annual earlier this year) to a stat block, as if you had a chance of understanding what a Lovecraftian Outer God is capable of, goes totally against the genre.

This is one WotC d20 product I'll be skipping. I'll keep playing my Chaosium CoC and Pagan Publishing's Delta Green.

SCOOP: BTW, someone posted a comment on the Delta Green mailing list this morning that Erik Mona had said that d20 Delta Green was go. Much as I love Delta Green, I think I'll have to skip that one, too.

Uhh... stupid question here, but don't the Chaosium books also have stats for the Mythos? In addition, don't you think that perhaps one of the main appealing factors of this book is for people who just want the stats? I know that's one of the reasons I'm buying it. (Elric and Cthulhu back in D&D. Oh yeah!)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I have two editions of Call of Cthulhu, and both have detailed stat blocks for Cthulhu and Co. I've seen this complaint before, and I still don't inderstand why it's alright for there to be stat blocks using Chaosium's house system, but not alright for d20 stats to be detailed. Are people just not reading Chaosium's CoC, but defending it anyway?

The reason why the stats are included is quite simple: Lots of DnD players will pick up the book to compare the CoC horrors to the traditional DnD monsters (and maybe even using some of them - when the Epic Level Handbook comes out you may even have a chance of fighting them - I'm not saying you should, but it's all about options). Let's face it - the stats are fun! It doesn't mean you have to change the way Gods and Great Old Ones are perceived in the CoC universe (and with those stats CoC characters will be deader than dead facing these creatures).

-Zarrock

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Upper_Krust said:
Hi Caliban! :)

Regarding his BAB the noted figure of +102 looks wrong though.

If we assume typical Outsider Continuance it should be +110 (72 + 20 + 1 + 17)

So I don't know how they arrived at +102; I must be missing something!?

I think you forgot the -8 size penalty.

That would reduce the +110 to +102.

ascendance

First Post
Well, as soon as the ELH comes out, we can start the new munchkin challenge! Make a 50th level character to take on Azathoth the Faceless, one on one! Its the SAN-blasting power that'll really get D&D types, though. Currently, there are no real countermeasures to SAN loss.

Remove ads