• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Backgrounds and Preferred Classes

Samloyal23

Adventurer
White Waste Raider
Your tribe is predatory, surviving by raiding other tribes in frozen wastes.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from the White Waste, Str 13+, non-Good.
Benefits: Climb, hide, ride, spot, and wilderness lore are always class skills for you. You add 1/2 your level to your rank in 2 of these skills. You get a +4 bonus on Hide checks when it is actively snowing. When you are mounted and charging you can make an unarmed disarm attempt without provoking an attack of opportunity to snatch an item from off the ground or from someone else to steal it. You count as one size larger for purposes of an opposed disarm check. You can switch your preferred class to Barbarian or Rogue. Once you select a preferred class you cannot change it again.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Snowborn
Nobody knows how or why, but once or twice in every generation a child in your tribe is born who is seems to be part ice...
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be born in the White Waste, Cha 13+.
Benefits: Change your racial subtype to Cold. Climb, hide, jump, move silently and wilderness lore are always class skills for you. You get a +4 bonus on hide and move silently checks in snowy terrain. You are never impeded by moving over ice or snow and leave no tracks when moving over arctic terrains. Ice will not break under you when you walk or skate over it. You can switch your preferred class to Barbarian or Druid. Once you select a preferred class you cannot change it again.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Slaveborn of Irium
You were raised as a slave and had to fight to survive.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from Irium.
Benefits: You gain a +2 bonus on Fortitude checks. You get a +1 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and improvised weapons. Craft (any) and profession (any) are always class skills for you. You begin with 1/2 the normal gold for your class. You can switch your preferred class to Gladiator or Barbarian. Once you select a preferred class you cannot change it again.

Last edited:

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Not entirely sure all of these are right, some seem too weak, others seem to powerful. Snowborn worries me, is changing a subtype too powerful or does the added disadvantage of the type balance out? Comments?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Just stole this from here and started tweaking it. I didn't agree with all the original author's ideas and his list of gods is too short. Also, Athena in my campaign is no longer chaste, having married Hermes upon becoming queen of Olympus. If you have an idea for a god not listed here, feel free to contribute...

Divine Blood [General]
You are the half-mortal offspring of one of the Olympian gods. Artemis, and Hera are not options for divine parentage. (Artemis is a virgin goddess and Hera is the goddess of marital fidelity.)
Prerequisites: Cha 13+, must be a 1st level character, must be from Valora or Irium.
Benefit: You get a +1 racial bonus to Will saves. In addition, depending upon which Olympian's blood flows in your veins, you gain the following extraordinary ability as a benefit:
Aphrodite: +2 on all Charisma based skill checks
Apollo: Permanent endure elements.
Ares: Damage reduction 1.
Athena: You can add your Int modifier to melee attack rolls, in addition to your Str modifier.
Demeter: +4 racial bonus on saving throws against disease and poisons.
Dionysus: +2 bonus on saving throws against drugs and poisons, professional (farmer) and craft (winemaker) are always class skills for you.
Hades: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against necromancy spells or to resist ability score loss.
Hecate: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells or spell-like abilities.
Hephaestus: Fire resistance 3.
Hermes: Permanent know direction.
Poseidon: +2 racial bonus to Swim checks and Handle Animal checks involving horses, cold resistance 3.
Zeus: Electricity and sonic resistance 3.

Which other gods should be added to this list? Any titans? Would a god being dead effect the powers of a descendent or is it just in that person's blood?

Last edited:

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I am thinking my Aarakocra needs some feats to distinguish their different tribal cultures. I visualize the birdmen as being from many seemingly unrelated tribes similar to Native American and Polynesian peoples. Their socieities are alien to each and to the other races of the Last Lands. Any suggestions?

Remove ads