D&D 5E Backgrounds

Staffan

Legend
In the AMA, Mearls hinted pretty heavily that we'd see some sort of branching out to different settings over the course of 2018. This gave me an idea for a thing I'd very much like to see in a setting-focused book, assuming there's enough space: new backgrounds.

The backgrounds in the PHB are, by necessity, fairly generic. But take a setting like Eberron for example - there are many cultures there that would like some kind of in-game treatment. You have the Argonessen dragon-worshiping barbarians, the Ghaashk'kala tribes who guard the Labyrinth surrounding the Demon Wastes, the Valenar elves, dragon-marked houses (either as a single background or specific ones - or maybe do it like the Far Traveler in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and have one background with a few variants), and so on. This would add a lot of flavor without too much in the way of mechanical weight.

Sure, you could handle a lot of them via the Outlander background, but I'd rather have different backgrounds for different places.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
In the AMA, Mearls hinted pretty heavily that we'd see some sort of branching out to different settings over the course of 2018. This gave me an idea for a thing I'd very much like to see in a setting-focused book, assuming there's enough space: new backgrounds.

The backgrounds in the PHB are, by necessity, fairly generic. But take a setting like Eberron for example - there are many cultures there that would like some kind of in-game treatment. You have the Argonessen dragon-worshiping barbarians, the Ghaashk'kala tribes who guard the Labyrinth surrounding the Demon Wastes, the Valenar elves, dragon-marked houses (either as a single background or specific ones - or maybe do it like the Far Traveler in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and have one background with a few variants), and so on. This would add a lot of flavor without too much in the way of mechanical weight.

Sure, you could handle a lot of them via the Outlander background, but I'd rather have different backgrounds for different places.

What I really like about the SCAG was that it took the PHB backgrounds and expanded upon them. Soldier also got Mercenary Veteran, Knight of the order, City watch and maybe other's I'm forgetting, Acolyte got a version in Faction Agent that was faithful to a group of people or a cause rather than a God or a Religion.

I would love to see a more of these. Variations on what we have with features tweaked to a setting.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
+1 to this idea.

Dark Sun is so counter-cultural it needs a few unique backgrounds.
(maybe a Halfling Cook?)

5ekyu

Hero
I agree but imo there should be more emphasis on customizing backgrounds.

Just as an example, this would imo be presented more with presenring new bacgrounds as in "modify the soldier background to get..." Just a nod to acknowledge how it is expected to be customizing backgrounds, not just picking from the lust.

So, for instance, an organization background or geographical one coukd be lusted as choose from these (six backgrounds in phb listed) and replace their feature with abc" kind of things.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm sure that new settings will bring in new backgrounds specific to that setting, or at least I hope they will. Customising a background is all well and good but I find that having a list of backgrounds can be helpful as a way to cement your characters location in the world. For instance, with SCAG, you could play a character with the outlander background, or you could be a member of the Uthgardt tribes, an altered version of the outlander background. That background also provides notes on other barbarian tribes for which it could be used which I think is useful in a setting book.

Ganymede81

First Post
Yeah, backgrounds are already fully able to be customized. Proficiencies, language, traits, and even your feature can be changed to suit your PC's needs.

To me, extra backgrounds just seems like unnecessary bloat (aside from the cool new suggestions for personality traits, anyways).

I've not found that Eberron really needs anything additional in terms of backgrounds beyond what the PHB already suggests. Swapping Arcana or Religion into your character's background to represent an Argonessen coast dweller or demon waste tribe for example.

Skills and character traits can be swapped around fairly freely, so it is really only the background Feature that is a unique mechanic.
What new Features do you think are necessary?

jasper

Rotten DM
Yeah, backgrounds are already fully able to be customized. Proficiencies, language, traits, and even your feature can be changed to suit your PC's needs.

To me, extra backgrounds just seems like unnecessary bloat (aside from the cool new suggestions for personality traits, anyways).
I would not say bloat. I would say simple page filler like a list of names. Talk with your dms. A background is 2 skills, 1 or more languages, a set of tools which apply to background, and up to 25 gp.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
What I really like about the SCAG was that it took the PHB backgrounds and expanded upon them. Soldier also got Mercenary Veteran, Knight of the order, City watch and maybe other's I'm forgetting, Acolyte got a version in Faction Agent that was faithful to a group of people or a cause rather than a God or a Religion.

I would love to see a more of these. Variations on what we have with features tweaked to a setting.

Agreed. Campaign-specific backgrounds help showcase aspects of the setting that may otherwise get glossed over, and help new players connect to the setting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases