• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bad House Rules

Kesh

First Post
ced1106 said:
Lessee...

* PHB: The spells in the PHB are the spells available to **your** PCs. Other NPCs and critters may have something different.

* MM & DMG: This is the possible information **your** PCs have heard of. The actual monsters and treasure you may encounter may be... different. (;

Huh. I actually don't have a problem with either of those, m'self.

I might pull a spell out of another sourcebook, or one I've created, to throw my players off balance. Of course, they could always find a scroll or spellbook of it on the bad guy's corpse later... but it's not 'common' enough for the average mage/cleric/whatever to have encountered.

As for monsters, again, sometimes I might mix up some stats, or use a different critter than they know about. Not everything in the world is common knowledge, or even accurate.

That being said, the *rules* should be available to the players. But the individual items they encounter may not be. :)

Dougal DeKree

First Post
Houserule...

...ok, i had this talked flat over at houserules but hey, it still buggers my char.

Houserule: For every school of magic you need a gem of a special kind as focus - for every Spelllevel another size. With burnout chance of 5% every time you cast. A gem for let's say Transmutation lvl1 costs 1000gp. 2nd is 2000gp. 3rd is 4000gp etc. for EVERY school. Plus the scribing costs for each spell.
Without gem, no casting.

Oh, did i mention my char is a Wizard and out of money?! ;)

Dougal Dekree, retired gnomish Illusionist

S'mon

Legend
ced1106 said:
Lessee...

* PHB: The spells in the PHB are the spells available to **your** PCs. Other NPCs and critters may have something different.

* MM & DMG: This is the possible information **your** PCs have heard of. The actual monsters and treasure you may encounter may be... different. (;

* Magic items: If you find a magic item (other than one-use ones) it will have three properties: Something good (unless it's cursed) it does, some background history, and some quirk / something unusual about it. No, you don't get to find out exactly what it is by just casting a spell!

* If it has anything to do with magical items or levelling up, you have to roleplay your way to find the contacts you need to help you out! Yes, you can ask your patron for help.

* EQ RPG: Yay, knowledge rolls.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

All sound reasonable to me. The first two in particular sound like good DMing. Do you complain if an NPC casts a spell that isn't in the PHB, or you meet a monster that's not in the MM?

diaglo

Adventurer
Gothmog said:
#4- DMs who don't understand alignment and say "You're CG, you CAN'T do that- its against your alignment!" Alignment is determined by actions, not actions by alignment.

#5- One of the worst- if an NPC is making a dramatic soliloqy, if a player interrupts to ask a question, the player's PC is docked 1000 XP!!! Yeah, that DM was a real drama queen.

i forgot to include those two. yeah, i've played in those campaigns too.

6) the DM had to have an NPC. and the NPC knew the answer to all the obscure knowledge the PCs couldn't figure out. he also killed everything the PCs couldn't. deus ex machina for hire (except he came free of charge)

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
ced1106 said:
Lessee...

* Magic items: If you find a magic item (other than one-use ones) it will have three properties: Something good (unless it's cursed) it does, some background history, and some quirk / something unusual about it. No, you don't get to find out exactly what it is by just casting a spell!

* If it has anything to do with magical items or levelling up, you have to roleplay your way to find the contacts you need to help you out! Yes, you can ask your patron for help.

sounds like 1ed to me. and all of them perfectly legit in my book.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
diaglo said:

6) the DM had to have an NPC. and the NPC knew the answer to all the obscure knowledge the PCs couldn't figure out. he also killed everything the PCs couldn't. deus ex machina for hire (except he came free of charge)

Damnit the DM from my old group was cheating on us!!!

How common is this? I've included npcs to fill out small parties, but I've played in games whe D M Mechina was added to high level 6 person parties...

Kahuna Burger

mmu1

First Post
Tiefling said:

So your Darkvision allows the character to see less intense light sources but not more intense ones?

Edit: I feel like we're arguing different topics. You suggested an interpretation of Darkvision whereby the character can see light radiated from his body and reflected off other objects. I suggested that such light is in the infrared spectrum, thus to see it the character must be able to see that spectrum, and therefore the character should be able to see all other infrared light. You then said that your system relied on reflected light, not radiated light. I then asked what the difference was. My intent was to establish why the character's eyes could pick up the one but not the other, but I think you interpreted me literally and explained the actual difference, which had no bearing on whether or not the character should be able to see it. So my real question is, why would the character be able to see dimmer light but not more intense light, regardless of the detail that either would convey?

Uh... No. You might want to read my original post again, I did say the difference between "my" darkvision and the D&D darkvision is that living creatures would glow brightly. I was just saying that Darkvision doesn't have to be limited to Predator-like Infravision.

diaglo said:

Or perhaps regardless of sex/class/race, the NPC had the personality of a bitchy 16-year-old teenaged girl ...

KDLadage

Explorer
LOW LIGHT AND DARK VISION: My $0.02 worth...

...and as always, you may just be able to get some change back from it, is this:

Dungeons and Dragons, when the 3rd Edition was created, their was a concious choice to avoid the pitfalls of infra- and ultra-vision. And in my opinion, it was a good choice -- from a game design standpoint. This way, using the mechanics presented, low-light and darkvision are simply game mechanics that can, in what-ever world you are playing in, be defined via what-ever means the game-world designer wishes it to operate.

If you use infra-vision and ultra-vision, as terms, this would tend to indicate that the people of that world understand what the infra-red and ultra-violet light spectrums are. In the real world, the science of light was pretty much invented by Newton (if I recall my high school history classes correctly), and the discovery of infrared spectrum did not take place until 1800 when (again, if I recall) Frederick Hershell (sp?) with either his wife or his sister (that I cannot recall) did astronomical work and stumbled onto it. A year later John Ritter discovered ultraviolet light. Thus, but not calling low light and dark vision by these terms, you avoid a rather odd terminology for a medieval fantasy.

Second, if you avoid calling them by these rather scientific names, you avoid problems like white-out (being blinded by relatively high heat sources -- at what range? at what temperatures?), differentiation (how many degrees variant does it take to distinguish an object from the ambient temperature?), depth perception, resolution (human vision, for example, is broken into rods and cones; rods are highly light sensitive, but low resolution while cones are not nearly as sensitive, but of a much higher resolution and can see color), and so on.

By calling this by a game-functional name: low light vision and dark vision, you get the effect and allow the game master to define the how and why. And in my estimation, this is a good thing (tm).

Last edited:

Tiefling

First Post
mmu1 said:
Uh... No.

No need for that.

You might want to read my original post again, I did say the difference between "my" darkvision and the D&D darkvision is that living creatures would glow brightly. I was just saying that Darkvision doesn't have to be limited to Predator-like Infravision.

You're right, your original post does mention both. I think I misinterpreted you in your second post, where you said that your infravision relies on reflected light. The word "relies" seemed exclusionary in that context.

Did the description of infravision in previous editions specifically exclude reflected light? I don't have a 2E DMG on hand.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads