• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bad Moon over California OOC

synecdoche

First Post
Bobitron, did you want me to just post as much as I can get done now, in case the book doesn't get here? I can go with the D20 Modern book. I am hoping and wishing that it arrives on Friday but I don't know that I can count on it.

I think I have a fairly clear vision of where the skills and stats are going to go, so it shouldn't be too bad at this stage-- any setting-specific stuff might be lacking, though.

Fate Lawson

First Post
Idle Rich Background: Choose 1 skill from the following as a class skill Gamble, Intimidate, Knowledge (Bus.,Civics, Curr.Event., Pop Culture) Operate Vehicle (air, ground, or watercraft) Ride, or a new Speak Lang.
Rep.: +1
Wealth Bonus: +6

If you send me an email at tom at doghouserules dot net I'll send you the neccessary pages for the Maverick AdC (or whichever other one you wanted to take)

synecdoche

First Post
Fate Lawson said:
Idle Rich Background: Choose 1 skill from the following as a class skill Gamble, Intimidate, Knowledge (Bus.,Civics, Curr.Event., Pop Culture) Operate Vehicle (air, ground, or watercraft) Ride, or a new Speak Lang.
Rep.: +1
Wealth Bonus: +6

If you send me an email at tom at doghouserules dot net I'll send you the neccessary pages for the Maverick AdC (or whichever other one you wanted to take)

Done and done. Thanks.

Bobitron

Explorer
Thanks for the help again, Fate. I appreciate you checking in.

Well, we are in good shape to start this weekend. We are waiting on the gunfighter, the gambler, and a completed version of Dusty. I hope everyone is ready by Saturday. If it doesn't look good, Max, just get up your history and name and we can get started. :)

synecdoche

First Post
Fate, one quick question. It says that the earliest character level that can enter the Mav class is 4th, via multi-class Fast/Dedicated. However, the requirements are 6 ranks of gamble and 3 ranks of sleight of hand, which I should be able to get by then with the Charismatic hero I was planning.

The other requirement is the Card Sharp feat, which isn't in the D20 Modern book. Could you e-mail the requirements for that? Addie= ddrysdale [at] cluemail [dot] com.

Also, am I missing something in thinking that if I take charismatic hero with the idle rich occupation (and gambling as the extra class skill) I can get to Maverick with 3 (or at most 4) levels of Charismatic hero?

Thanks for all the help! Fingers are crossed that the book will arrive tomorrow.

знаток

First Post
synecdoche said:
Also, am I missing something in thinking that if I take charismatic hero with the idle rich occupation (and gambling as the extra class skill) I can get to Maverick with 3 (or at most 4) levels of Charismatic hero?

I don't mean to butt in, but I think the earliest level scenarios don't take starting occupation skills into account. Card Sharp's only prereq is 13 Dex.

Bobitron

Explorer
I sent that feat to you. знаток is right, those "earliest character level that can enter the ____ class" don't take starting occupations into account.

synecdoche

First Post
Bobitron said:
I sent that feat to you. знаток is right, those "earliest character level that can enter the ____ class" don't take starting occupations into account.

Okay, that is what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure. Thanks. I should be able to post a fairly good character tomorrow.

Fate Lawson

First Post
Yep, the Basic Class Associations just represent the most effecient and fastest routes. It is entirely possible to get there with just 3 levels of Charismatic and the Idle Rich background, but you would still have to buy the Sleight of Hand skill as cross-class. So Cha3/Mav5 is perfectly doable.

Max

First Post
Here is the current version of my gunfighter. Definitely some editing still needed, and I need to finish the background. However I wanted to get this up here.

Riley McClean
Fast 4/Gunslinger 4

STR 12/+1
DEX 18/+4 [includes +2 for ability boost at 4th and 8th level]
CON 14/+2
INT 14/+2
WIS 10/±0
CHA 12/+1

Grit 70 (4d8 + 4d10 + 2*8)

Defense +11 [Fast4 +5 + Gun4 +2 + Dex +4]
- Touch +11 [Fast4 +5 + Gun4 +2 + Dex +4]
- Flat-footed +11 [Fast4 +5 + Gun4 +2 + Dex +4, Uncanny Dodge 1]
- Mounted +11 [Fast4 +5 + Gun4 +2 + Dex +4]

Initiative +8 (Dex +4, Improved Initiative)
- +12 with Colt Thunderer [+1 for double-action revolver, Greased Lightning +2, hair trigger +1]

BAB +6/+1 [Fast4 +3 + Gun4 +3]
- Melee +7/+2 [Fast4 +3 + Gun4 +3 + Str12 +1]
-- Unarmed +7/+2 [1d3+1 non-lethal/Crit. 20]
-- Bowie knife +7/+2 [1d4+1 slashing/Crit. 18-20/Rng. 10-ft./Size S]
-- Rifle butt +7/+2 [1d6+1 bludgeoning/Crit. 20]
-- Pistol whip +7/+2 [1d4+1 bludgeoning/Crit. 20]
-- Improvised weapon +3 [1 D/1-2 T/1d3 S/1d4+1 M/1d6+1 L bludgeoning/Crit.20/Rang. 10-ft. max]

- Ranged +10/+5 [Fast4 +3 + Gun4 +3 + Dex18 +4]
-- Spencer Carbine +10/+5 [Dmg. 2d10/Crit. 20/Rng. 105-ft. [Far Shot]/Rate SS/Mag. 7 box/Size L]
-- Colt Thunderer +12/+7 [Weapon Focus +1, mastercraft grips +1] [Dmg. 2d6/Crit. 20/Rng. 45-ft. [Far Shot]/Rate S/Mag. 6 cyl./Size M]
-- Bowie knife +10 [1d4+1 slashing/Crit. 18-20/Rng. 20-ft. [Far Shot]/Size S]

Fortitude +4 [Fast4 +1 + Gun4 +1 + Con +2]
Reflex +8 [Fast4 +2 + Gun4 +2 + Dex +4]
Will +3 [Fast4 +1 + Gun4 +2]

Reputation +2
AP 45
Wealth +6
Allegiances: Marshal Abe Kale and family

Starting Occupation: Law Enforcement
Class skills: Intimidate, Listen
Bonus feat: Personal Firearms Proficiency
Wealth bonus +1

Skills
Balance Dex +4
Bluff Cha +1
Climb Str +1
Concentration Con +2
Diplomacy Cha +1
Disguise Cha +1
Escape Artist Dex +4
Forgery Int +2
Gamble Wis +0
Gather Information Cha +1
Handle Animal Cha +1
Hide Dex (4+4+4) +12
Intimidate Cha (7+4+1) +12
Jump Str +3
Knowledge (Current events, Popular culture, Streetwise) Int +2
Listen Wis (7+4+1) +11
Move Silently Dex (4+4+4) +12
Navigate Int +2
Profession – Law Enforcement Wis +4
Research Int +2
Ride Dex (6+4+4) +14
Search Int +2
Sense Motive Wis +0
Sleight of Hand Dex (7+4+4) +15
Spot Wis (4/2+4) +6
Survival Wis +0
Swim Str +1
Treat Injury Wis +0
Tumble Dex (6+4+4) +14

Feats –
Simple Weapons Proficiency [automatic]
Personal Firearms Proficiency [Law Enforcement bonus feat]
Improved Initiative [starting feat]
Far Shot [starting feat]
Double Tap [Fast level 2 bonus feat]
Quick Draw [third level feat]
Point Blank Shot [Fast level 4 bonus feat]
Gunplay [sixth level feat]
Precise Shot [Gunslinger level 3 bonus feat]

Talents – Fast Hero
Evasion [Defensive Talent Tree]
Uncanny Dodge 1 [Defensive Talent Tree]

Class Abilities – Gunslinger
Greased Lightning [+1 to Initiative per 2 levels]
Weapon Focus – Colt Thunderer [+1 to hit]
Close Combat Shot [make ranged attack from threatened area without drawing AOO]

Equipment –
Excellent appaloosa horse “App” (of course), grey with black spots on hindquarters
Spencer Carbine in saddle sheath, 2 extra bullet tubes pre-loaded
2x Colt Thunderer double-action revolvers with custom grips and hair triggers, slung low on each leg, tied down. 24 rounds of pistol ammo in gunbelt loops.
Bowie knife in belt sheath
Saddle, blanket, tack, and bridles
Saddlebags (contents: spare clothes, tin cup, cake of soap, pocket mirror, brush and comb, straight razor, box of matches, gun cleaning kit, rations for one week, box of 22 rounds of .44-40 rifle ammo, box of 4 rounds of .41 pistol ammo)
Bedroll lashed to saddlebags
Canteen
Rain Slicker
Overcoat, Cloth
Gloves

Background:
Riley is the son of Irish immigrant farmers, who became a sagebrush orphan at the age of 13 when his parent died of some illness – Riley never really knew which it was. He sold the farm for what he could get and hit the road. The only thing he kept was his father’s new (at the time) Spencer Carbine.

Riley knocked around the west for a few years, doing odd jobs. When he was 17 he ended up in the town of Peaceful Valley. After doing odd jobs for a week or so, he came to the attention of the Marshall, a man named Abe Kale. This was a turning point in Riley’s life, as Abe took the young knockabout under his wing and over the next few years he became one of the family. Marshall Kale is married, with two young daughters (10 and 8) so Riley became the son he would never have.

Riley became Kale’s deputy, and naturally worked on his gun handling. Neither he nor Marshall Kale realized how well he’d learned it until three men tried to rob the local bank. Riley and Kale arrived together just as the men burst out of the bank with their loot. Abe Kale always figured he was pretty fast on the draw himself, but before he knew it Riley had one of the men down before Kale could clear leather. Between the two of them, they were too much for the other bandits and made quick work of them.

Riley has been wandering around the west for several years now, doing odd jobs here and there. He has been a deputy marshal, rode shotgun on a stage, guarded gold shipments from the mines. Generally his jobs have had something to do with enforcing the law or protecting the goods of others. He has a modest reputation as someone who can get the job done, even if lead starts flying. One thing he has never done is hire his gun out to someone looking for a gunfighter to do their killing for them. In fact, he’s gotten into two shooting scrapes with large ranchers who couldn’t take no for an answer. Riley is between jobs right now, and contemplating a return to Pleasant Valley to see his “family”.

Riley stands about 5’10”, and dresses as a typical cowboy – jeans, button down shirt, and vest, although he’s never really worked around cows. Now 28 years old, he has brown hair and blue eyes. He carries a matched set of walnut handled Colt Thunderers, and still has his father’s (now old) Spencer Carbine.

edit: added AP total and 2 extra bullet tubes for the Spencer
edit 2: added slicker, gloves, and overcoat

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads