• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bad RPG Collecting

Tetsubo

First Post
Pat said:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Wraeththu (I'm not sure I can even describe the game without offending Eric's Grandma, but there's a not-necessarily-safe-for-work review here) or RaHoWa (short for Racial Holy War, the white supremacist RPG). Games like KABAL (perhaps the first RPG flop) and Empire of Satanis are relatively mild in comparison.

I read one of the novels but I've never looked at the Wraeththu RPG. What makes it bad?

Tetsubo

First Post
Ed_Laprade said:
Ah, something else I owned but never played: Powers and Perils. (Was reminded of it over on the Games You Thought You'd Love but Hated, and vice versa thread.)

The Post-Apocalyptic supplement was sort of interesting though.

Tetsubo

First Post
Cadius said:
The Morrow Project: a futuristic post-apacolypse game written in the late 70s or early 80s. The game is still (apparently) in print, but the books look like they are photocopied using an old copier then bound at an office supply store. The game purports to have the most realistic combat system ever used. The premise is that the PCs were put in cryo sleep just prior to WW3, when almost all cities got hit by ICBMs. Lots of mutants and such.

Ralph Bakshi's Wizards: An RPG based on Ralph Bakshi's movie, I've got both editions of this game, though it's one no one ever heard of. The only other product this company ever published was a brief run of a pro-wrestling RPG, licensed by WWF, if you can imagine. (Thankfully, I didn't own it). These games were published prior to ISBN numbers and bar codes.

I own both of these. MP has a special place in my heart. As a long time Gamma World fan MP is just cool. It's like someone took out the goofy aspects of GW and published a RPG. It is rather "realistic" in many ways. I consider it a proud part of my collection.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Pat said:
Though it doesn't seem to address the hottest of the hot button issues (what happens when a wraeththu and a human have sex).

Because they don't have sex with humans, IIRC. I believe (it has been a while since I reviewed the game) that the Wraeththu of the world evolved from a kind of viral infection, much like the titular 'Things' in John Carpenter's 1982 film. They don't breed in the traditional sense -- they infect you.

Pozatronic

First Post
Scurvy_Platypus said:
One day I want to run a conversion of Synnibarr, and see just what I can get out of it. I have this dream of the group all being Luchadors, travelling around Synnibarr righting wrongs, dealing with nasty critters (like vampires), and having some good old fashioned wrestling matches.

This is the greatest game theme I've ever come across.

Last edited:

Tetsubo

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Because they don't have sex with humans, IIRC. I believe (it has been a while since I reviewed the game) that the Wraeththu of the world evolved from a kind of viral infection, much like the titular 'Things' in John Carpenter's 1982 film. They don't breed in the traditional sense -- they infect you.

I saw them as the authors attempt at "the next evolutionary step" sort of a theme...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Tetsubo said:
I saw them as the authors attempt at "the next evolutionary step" sort of a theme...

Yeah, they supplant humans as the Earth's apex predators, though it is a gene mutation brought on by an infection of some sort that creates them (again, IIRC).

Remove ads