• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[BADD] Mulit-headed dragon template

Gargoyle

Adventurer
This thread is to develop a workable template for dragons with multiple heads. I don't really have time to work on this right now, so feel free and offer up your ideas; I'm just starting the thread now to create a place other than the orignal "dragon clinic" thread in general rpg discussion where the idea was started.

I promise I'll post something more interesting here later this week... meanwhile if you have any ideas of how such a template should work, post 'em.

The basic idea of such a template is that you could use it to modify any dragon's stat block to reflect the result of adding one or more heads of the same color, for a bit of a surprising challenge. It should detail things like additional spellcasting ability, additional attacks, breath attacks (if any- personally I think having multiple breath weapons would be interesting) , and CR, at a minimum...details like what happens if one head is killed or decapitated should be added as well...

Xarlen

First Post
Sean Reynolds has a 'Two Headed' template on his site. I imagine you could adapt it to support several other heads, for added CR.

Plecak

First Post
Template

Hello,

Here is my "multi-headed dragon" template. I have also adapted some ideas from the "two-headed" template made by Sean Reynolds.

Multi-Headed Dragon

Basic remarks:
Multi-headed dragons are not as common as their one-headed counterparts, but are, by no means mutants as, for example, multi-headed humanoids. Multi-headed dragons can have up to five-heads, which are independently intelligent. Each head works much like a head of a one-headed dragon and can take control of the entire body,
if the other heads are inert (for example sleeping). Multi-headed dragons have, similarly to common dragons, two lungs. The air can be inhaled and exhaled synchronically by any combination of heads, for example:
three-headed dragon can use /any one/any two/three/ head(s) for breathing. Multi-headed dragons are somewhat bigger and tougher than their one-headed counterparts.

"Multi-headed dragon" is a template that can be applied to a dragon (referred to hereafter as the "base creature") of any race. It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

AC: Natural armor improves by one for each adittional head.

Size: Multi-headed dragons tend to be greater than their single-headed counterparts. Increase the base creature's size by one rank.

Multi-headed dragon's Face and Reach:

Size | Size | Face | Reach
(Base creature) | (Multi-headed dragon)
---- ---- ---- -----
Tiny | Small | 5 ft. by 5 ft.| 5 ft.
Small | Medium | 5 ft. by 5 ft.| 5 ft.
Medium | Large | 5 ft. by 10 ft.| 10 ft.*
Large | Huge | 10 ft. by 20 ft.| 10 ft.
Huge | Gargantuan | 20 ft. by 40 ft.| 15 ft.
Gargantuan | Colossal | 40 ft. by 80 ft.| 15 ft.
Colossal | Colossal | 60 ft. by 120 ft.| 20 ft.

*Greater than normal reach for a creature of this size.

Speed: Multi-headed dragons can move at the same speed the base creature can, but their maneuverability class drops by one rank.

Special Qualities: A multi-headed dragon retains all of the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following:

Multi Mind (Ex): An n-headed dragon has n brains, so for all mind-affecting attacks the creature counts
as n separate dragons. If a spell or effect can only affect one of the dragon's heads (such as a charm monster spell, which affects a single target), the unaffected heads take control of the entire body. In these situations,
the affected head becomes inert for combat purposes (cannot perform any actions), and the dragon temporarily loses one of its additional attacks of opportunity it has due to the Multi Reflexes ability. Even if one head
is charmed or dominated, the dragon does not attack itself or split its attacks between
its normal opponents and those chosen by its controller. In effect, mind-affecting attacks must affect all the heads in order to achieve the normal result (casting n successful charm monster spells on the n-headed dragon brings
it fully under the control of the caster and allows it to use all of its abilities).

Multi Reflexes (Ex): Each of a multi-headed dragon's heads can take the control over the entire body, the heads can also split the control of certain limbs among themselves. It allows the multi-headed dragon to perform one more attack of opportunity per each additional head, but any of these attacks must be with a different limb than any previous attack of opportunity.
If a multi-headed dragon has the Combat Reflexes feat, the additional attacks of opportunity from that feat may be taken with either limb in any combination, and the dragon still gains its extra attacks of opportunity from Multi Reflexes ability (so a four-headed dragon with a 14 Dexterity could make up to 6 attacks of opportunity per round: 1 normally, 3 from Multi Reflexes, and 2 from the Combat Reflexes feat).

Rules for breath weapons:

How does dragon's breath weapon originate ?

Dragons, whose breath weapon's area of effect is a line, create it as follows: whenever the dragon intends
to make a use of its breath weapon, the air contained in the lungs flows additionaly through the system of special bones (resembling pipes) that is located in dragon's neck, where it gets invoked. Dragons, whose breath weapon's area of effect is a cone, create it somewhat differently: the exhaled air gets invoked by mixing with
a special substance that is sprayed into it under high pressure by the organs located just behing the dragon's head.

As noted above, each head of a multi-headed dragon resembles a head of a single-headed one. It remains true even if the anatomy is concerned. Thus, the same applies to the origination of breath weapons,
but as multi-headed dragons can use any combination of heads to exhale, they can knowingly choose the heads that will deliver a breath weapon. If a dragon chooses to use more than one head to deliver its breath weapon,
the air contained in the lungs is distributed evenly among all breathing heads and thus the areas of effect may vary, depending on the number of chosen heads..

Multi-headed dragon's breath weapons:

Line* (Length): numbers in columns correspond to the length of the line delivered by a single head, while changing the number of heads that deliver the breath weapon.

Size | Size | One head| Two heads| Three heads| Four heads
(Base creature)| (M-h dragon)| applied | applied | applied | applied
----------------- -------------- ----------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Tiny | Small | 40 ft. | 20 ft.| 15 ft.| 10 ft.
Small | Medium | 60 ft. | 30 ft.| 20 ft.| 15 ft.
Medium | Large | 80 ft. | 40 ft.| 30 ft.| 20 ft.
Large | Huge | 100 ft. | 50 ft.| 35 ft.| 25 ft.
Huge | Gargantuan| 120 ft. | 60 ft.| 40 ft.| 30 ft.
Gargantuan| Colossal | 140 ft. | 70 ft.| 50 ft.| 35 ft.
Colossal | Colossal | 160 ft. | 80 ft.| 55 ft.| 40 ft.

*A line is always 5 feet high and 5 feet wide.

The above table can be easily expanded for the case, where five heads are applied.

Cone* (Length): numbers in columns correspond to the length of the cone delivered by a single head, while changing the number of heads that deliver the breath weapon.

Size | Size | One head| Two heads | Three heads |Four heads
(Base creature)| (M-h dragon) |applied | applied | applied | applied
----------------- -------------- ----------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Tiny | Small | 20 ft. | 15 ft.| 15 ft.| 10 ft.
Small | Medium | 30 ft. | 25 ft.| 20 ft.| 15 ft.
Medium | Large | 40 ft. | 30 ft.| 25 ft.| 25 ft.
Large | Huge | 50 ft. | 40 ft.| 35 ft.| 30 ft.
Huge | Gargantuan| 60 ft. | 45 ft.| 40 ft.| 35 ft.
Gargantuan| Colossal | 70 ft. | 55 ft.| 45 ft.| 40 ft.
Colossal | Colossal | 80 ft. | 65 ft.| 55 ft.| 50 ft.

*A cone is as high and wide as its length.

The above table can be expanded for the case, where five heads are applied.

If a multi-headed dragon chooses to deliver its breath weapon by more than one head, all creatures in areas where effects of breathing coming from different heads overlap roll Reflex saves against dragon's breath weapon DC separately for each head. The total breath weapon damage is a sum of breath weapon damages dealt by each breathing head. For the breath weapon damage per single head see the description of the base creature. Each head can deliver the breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.

Rules for performing actions:

Multi-headed dragon is able to perform in a single round as many activities as a one-headed dragon can plus one partial action per each additional head. These partial actions include:

· attacking (bite), at the highest base attack bonus
· casting of a spell^*
· concentrating to mantain a spell
· readying of an action
· usage of a breath weapon
· usage of a spell-like ability^

* Spells that require a full-round action to be cast, cannot be cast by the head taking a partial action.
^ If a dragon is able to deliver all needed components.

Note: While taking extra partial actions a dragon gets due to the multiple heads, the dragon is not allowed to take a 5 ft. step.

Free actions: If a free action is an action that is performed by a head, n-headed dragon is able to perform during the round n times more such actions than a single-headed one.

Partial actions: as partial action = standard action - move + 5 ft. step (typically), see standard actions.

Standard actions:

N-headed dragon can perform the following as a standard action:

move at the creature's base speed, partial action (first head, but without taking the 5 ft. step), partial action (second head, but without taking the 5 ft. step), ..., partial action (N-th head, but without taking the 5 ft. step).

Note: partial actions that dragon gets due to the multiple heads cannot be replaced by move-equivalent actions, unless a move-equivalent action can be performed using a head or a neck (for example: move a heavy object).

Full-round actions:

If a full-round action does not require involving all the dragon heads, each inert head is allowed to perform
a partial action, but without taking 5 ft. step.

Rules for spellcasting:

Basically, multi-headed dragons are able to cast as many spells/use as many spell-like abilities per round,
as many heads they have, provided they can deliver all needed components.

Rules for resting: ?

Severing multi-headed dragon's head:

If the n-headed dragon loses one of its heads (due to the critical hit with a vorpal weapon), it loses [one n-th]
of its total hitpoints. Each head can be severed by a non-vorpal weapon if the wielder deals [one n-th of the dragon's total hitpoints] points of damage with a single blow on a critical hit, but the weapon's size must be one rank below the dragon's size or greater. Spells like Regenerate and Heal can restore severed heads.

Saves: Same as the base creature.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +1 for each additional head, Dex +0, Con +1 for each additional head, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +2 for each additional head.
Skills: Same as the base creature.
Feats: Same as the base creature.
Climate/Terrain: Same as the base creature.
Organization: Same as the base creature.
Challenge Rating: CR of the base creature + number of heads.
Treasure: Same as the base creature.
Alignment: Same as the base creature.
Advancement: Same as the base creature.

I would be grateful for feedback.

Thanx.

Infinite Monkey

First Post
That is a really cool template. Just one comment. When a multi-headed dragon breathes and the breath weapons overlap, I think that applying multiple lots of damage is a bit too much. How about this instead :

If a character is caught in the breath weapon from more than one head at the same time, they must make a saving throw for each breath weapon they are caught in. In order to take half damage from the breath weapons they must pass ALL of the saving throws, otherwise they take full damage as if from one breath weapon.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Xarlen: Thanks! Didn't know that existed. It looks like a good start. I hate reinventing the wheel, and really like what Sean has done. The link to his template, for others is:

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/monsters/two-headed-mutant.html

Plecak: Good work. I agree that we should derive from Sean's template.
Here's my comments on your template:
- I like the size increase and maneuverability decrease.

- I would drop the pseudo-scientific explanation of the origination of dragon's breath. I don't think it's necessary, and from past experience I've learned that when you mix science into your fantasy rpg, you get some bad results.

- Rules for performing actions seem good, but I'd drop the part on free actions. You can already take as many free actions as you want, regardless of how many heads you have.

- On rules for resting, I'm not sure there need to be any, since there aren't any for other creatures, and there's no percentage for dragons to be caught sleeping anymore (thankfully). What did you have in mind?

- On decapitation, I'd use the same mechanic as the hydra. You have to hit with a slashing weapon for an amount of damage equal to its original hit points divided by the number of heads.

- Taking more mechanics from the hydra, I would give multi-headed dragons a racial bonus of +2 to all Listen and Spot checks.

Infinite Monkey: I think that overlapping dragon breath should be treated like the breath weapons from multiple dragons. The increased CR makes it fair. A two headed dragon is effectively the same CR as two dragons of the same size (even though 2 dragons would clearly have a maneuverability advantage) However, since the multiple heads all have different minds, coordinating their breath weapons to overlap shouldn't be automatic, but should be more like multiple dragons overlapping.

I would suggest that each head have its own initiative roll. If they want to coordinate, they'll have to talk to each other and one will usually have to delay or ready an action. For this to work, one head will have to be the dominate one, meaning it is in charge of the body. As a free action, once per round, a head may try to dominate the body with an opposed Charisma check. This could be difficult for running a dragon with three or more heads, so the DM might choose to simply make one head always dominate.

I've got to go, unfortunately I'm still rather busy tonight. Looks like we've got something workable though. Cool stuff. Thanks!

Plecak

First Post
Hello,

Originally posted by Infinite Monkey:

"That is a really cool template. "

Thanx a lot Infinite Monkey.

"If a character is caught in the breath weapon from more than one head at the same time, they must make a saving throw for each breath weapon they are caught in. In order to take half damage from the breath weapons they must pass ALL of the saving throws, otherwise they take full damage as if from one breath weapon."

Well, that is an interesting idea, but taking under consideration how dragons create their breath weapon effects, I would say that when it comes to breath weapons, n-headed dragon is equivalent to n single-headed ones.

Originally posted by Gargoyle:

"Good work."

Thanx Gragoyle.

" I would drop the pseudo-scientific explanation of the origination of dragon's breath. I don't think it's necessary, and from past experience I've learned that when you mix science into your fantasy rpg, you get some bad results. "

Ok, I have added this piece to the template in order to explain why a multi-headed dragon with n heads should be considered equivalent to n single-headed ones when it comes to breath weapon damage and rolls against breath weapon's DC.

"Rules for performing actions seem good, but I'd drop the part on free actions. You can already take as many free actions as you want, regardless of how many heads you have."

I think, I have seen a statement somewhere that a DM should put a reasonable limit on number of free actions that can be taken per round. That is why I have added the part on free actions.

"On rules for resting, I'm not sure there need to be any, since there aren't any for other creatures, and there's no percentage for dragons to be caught sleeping anymore (thankfully). What did you have in mind?"

Well, I was/am not sure if it is sufficient for a multi-headed dragon to rest fully if only some of its heads sleep.

" On decapitation, I'd use the same mechanic as the hydra. You have to hit with a slashing weapon for an amount of damage equal to its original hit points divided by the number of heads. "

Ok, but I would add two requirements:
- regarding weapon's size, unless vorpal
- the head is severed only on critical hits, because not each hit that deals an amount of damage required for severing a head strikes the head.
"Taking more mechanics from the hydra, I would give multi-headed dragons a racial bonus of +2 to all Listen and Spot checks."

That is a very good idea.

Gargoyle, your idea considering initiative rolls for each head is very interesting and I will have to think about it.

Thank you for your feedback.

Wolfspider

Explorer
I don't have time to comment on the template right now, but I just wanted to say that I think it's very interesting. Good work!

I'll write more later today.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads