D&D 5E Bag of Holding Question

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
We all know Marry Poppins Isnt real.
Yondu-750x413.jpeg

Oh I assure you... I most certainly AM real!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That's why there's also an image of it, which is a moderate-size satchel. It's definitely not a 4x2 foot cylinder.
636284708068284913.jpeg
That's a big change from 1e days.

In 1e it's described as "a common cloth sack of about 2' x 4' size", meaning those are the outside dimensions and carrying it means you're probably slinging it over your shoulder like a sack of coal.

There's four widely-different versions listed in the 1e DMG (p.138) in terms of volume (30 to 250 cu ft) and maximum payload (250 to 1500 lbs) - and also actual carry weight (15 to 60 lb).

This is from Roll20 so Im going to assume is current and correct for 5E.

"This bag has an interior space considerably larger than its outside dimensions, roughly 2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep. The bag can hold up to 500 pounds, not exceeding a volume of 64 cubic feet. The bag weighs 15 pounds, regardless of its contents. Retrieving an item from the bag requires an action.

I know its clearly definiens that the bag is 64 cu. ft. and can hold 500 pounds, This meticulously requires the players and DM must book keep. Thats not something I'm interested in but I also don't want the party thinking this is a never ending well of storage.

Has anyone ever came up with another method/system for tracking contents, remaining space in a BoH? As in a small item takes up "x" amount of storage and cu. ft, etc? I underatand the opening is a 2' Dia so theres no need to discuss what can fit in it.
We keep track of weight, but handwave size, as long as it is semi-reasonable.

R_J_K75

Legend
Well, after 10 minutes, he wouldn't be hiding in there any more. He'd just be in there, decomposing and/or being eaten by cats.
The BoH only provides so much so oxygen, so I couldn't see him lasting long. Maybe (-1d4) rounds if he gets into the catnip and laser pointer or frantically open a ca of tuna.,

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Armor may not fit through the opening and polearms are longer than 4 feet, so are unable to fit in due to the depth.

The only piece of armor that might not fit through that opening is a breastplate. 2' diameter comes out to a 6'+ circumference - you have to be a BIG guy to have a chest measurement of over 72".

Armor may not fit through the opening and polearms are longer than 4 feet, so are unable to fit in due to the depth.

The outside dimensions are 2' diameter x 4' long. A cylinder of 2' diameter x 4' long is only a bit over 12 cubic feet - and the bag is listed as being able to carry several times that volume. Unless you want to rule that each individual item must still fit within the outside dimensions, but that's not in the item description.

I'd be one who'd argue with this, in that for me part of the purpose of a BoH is to store a lot of little bits and pieces that are otherwise a pain to carry and-or you'd prefer not be easily detected.

Now if you make a list of how many of each common "small thing" e.g. coins, daggers, darts, gems, vials, fill a cubic foot, then fine.

Then again, keep in mind the BoH is (I think) loosely based on Mary Poppins' bag; and she pulls out some pretty big pieces from that. :)
That's what I picture as well.

R_J_K75

Legend
We keep track of weight, but handwave size, as long as it is semi-reasonable.
That's what we've been doing but as were at 5th level I think we need to put reasonably limits on it that benefit both party and DM. This is mostly an exercise to try and avoid the arbitrary augment of the BoH blowing up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads