Balance: Races

Phoenix8008

First Post
I wasn't suggesting that we should be able to have 3 PC's at the start. Just guessing that we might have a guideline like LEW with a max of 3 PC's eventually. I remember one idea someone had of not being able to start another PC until the first one was higher than 1st level and so on, but that was just talk in the original L4W Discussion thread. I just meant that if there was some maximum number of PC's imposed on each player, that we could have only one of those possible PC's be from the MM rules or whatever whether it's the first character or the last.

covaithe

Explorer
In Real Life, I'm a software developer, and one of the constant temptations in my line of work is to try to make your software future-proof by trying to anticipate what problems may occur down the road and build safeguards in to try to prevent them from happening. I say temptation, because it turns out that this is almost always a bad idea: humans just aren't smart enough to anticipate problems that accurately, and more often than not, the "safeguard" turns out to be a bigger problem than what it was trying to prevent.

This discussion is pushing my "not a problem yet" buttons. I think we should just keep an eye on the number of MM-race characters that pop up, and if we find that it's getting uncomfortably high, come up with a solution that's appropriate at that time. Personally, I suspect that we'll see relatively few of the MM races unless they turn out to be unbalanced.

garyh

First Post
In Real Life, I'm a software developer, and one of the constant temptations in my line of work is to try to make your software future-proof by trying to anticipate what problems may occur down the road and build safeguards in to try to prevent them from happening. I say temptation, because it turns out that this is almost always a bad idea: humans just aren't smart enough to anticipate problems that accurately, and more often than not, the "safeguard" turns out to be a bigger problem than what it was trying to prevent.

This discussion is pushing my "not a problem yet" buttons. I think we should just keep an eye on the number of MM-race characters that pop up, and if we find that it's getting uncomfortably high, come up with a solution that's appropriate at that time. Personally, I suspect that we'll see relatively few of the MM races unless they turn out to be unbalanced.

That makes a lot of sense. The less time we worry over something that, as you say, only might become a problem, the sooner we can move forward with getting this thing going.

Remove ads