D&D 5E Balancing the ability scores and their contribution to different classes

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
The thread about the Ability Score Increases is still going strong. A bit too strong for my taste, but I do jump in to read samples of it.

In the last few pages, I've seen a few posts circling around the topic of cookie-cutter characters, classes having a critical ability score that needs to be a certain number or higher, etc. For some reason, it connected to a few other thoughts I had recently and with a video I've watched at lunch last week.

So, here are a few example points that highlight one aspect of the ability scores that I'm not fond of:
  • Classes having a specific ability score marked as their key ability score.
  • Classes receiving almost no benefits from many ability scores.
  • Some ability scores are really, from a macro perspective, not as useful as others. (dexterity being really good is a frequent topic of discussion)
  • Players feeling like they have to balance the mechanical aspect of the ability scores with what it suggests narratively and for their characters. In my opinion, it leads to people feeling like they can't fully make their character if their race doesn't give them a bonus in their key ability score.
Anyway, these are just some examples, and they're my opinion. In opposition to these points, I'd like to see things like:
  • Less emphasis on a single key ability score for a class
  • Having most ability scores be of value to most classes
  • Have the gap of how useful certain ability scores feel be reduced
  • Players being able to go from their character concept into mechanical character building without having to worry that their character will be fun.
I don't understand why being Intelligent is not something that would be desirable for a fighter!

One little example of something that I really liked from 4th edition that somewhat goes into that direction were how they did the saving throws. For those that didn't play 4th edition, you had three saving throws: fortitude, reflex and will. However, as opposed to 3rd edition, they were not tied to just one ability score but two. For example, your Reflex saving throw was modified by either your dexterity or intelligence modifier, whichever is highest. Same with fortitude (strength, constitution) and will (wisdom, charisma). This kind of design lessens the emphasis on specific ability scores.

The video I refered to earlier is this one:

For context (it is a 58 minutes video after all): this is Josh Sawyer, Game Director at Obsidian Entertainment, notably on Pillars of Eternity (which is the focus of the video). It's a cool video, if you have the time I think it is worth a watch, he does refer to D&D alot. But for those that don't have the time for it, here's a quick TLDR:
  • Sawyer wanted to close the gap between builds that were viable and those that were optimal. He didn't want people to realize they had made a bad character after a few hours of gameplay and being unable to progress, and he didn't want player to break the game by hyper-focusing characters. But he also wanted to allow players to maximize, or not think too much about building their characters (different people, different fun).
  • Sawyer summarizes the design goals to:
    • Have six attributes
    • Class abilities that are not explicitly associated with attributes
    • Have attributes influence statistics of importance to all classes linearly
    • To have "no bad builds"
    • Discourage people from dumping stats.
Obviously, there's several design decisions that cover all these goals. But I'm mostly interested in the attributes having importance to all classes and reducing the "cool concept, bad character" effect.

The specific part of the video that kind of covers that explains that they kind of broke the verisimilitude between the name of attributes and what people expect from them. For example, there's no strength, but there's might. And might increases your damages. All damages. The damages you deal with your sword, but also with your spells. So both a fighter and a wizard could want to have a high might.

And they made sure that all attributes affected stats that were somewhat desirable to all classes. Here's a chart from that same video:
1629860287175.png

Obviously, some of the things they did would be hard to replicate in a TTRPG, like affecting the area of effect of your spells. But what I like about this approach, is that on paper, all attributes are useful in some ways to all classes. But you can still build your character in a way you wish. A wizard with a ton of intellect will have spells that have a very long duration and high area of effects, for an enchantment focused wizard, that could be great!

There's surely TTRPGs that already attempted and maybe even succeeded at this. I know Symbaroum uses specific attributes for certain actions, but some Talents allow you to use other attributes in their stead.

Anyway, I just wanted to start a discussion about it. See what people think about it, what solutions they came up with, what approaches TTRPGs I don't know about took.

Yaarel

He Mage
When the abilities consolidate to four.

Strength (big, tough): Fighter
Dexterity (athletic, mobile): Rogue
Intelligence (perceptive, intuitive): Wizard
Charisma (empathic, willful): Cleric

A Fighter of high Intelligence becomes an excellent choice.

LadyElect

Explorer
But I'm mostly interested in the attributes having importance to all classes and reducing the "cool concept, bad character" effect.

The specific part of the video that kind of covers that explains that they kind of broke the verisimilitude between the name of attributes and what people expect from them. For example, there's no strength, but there's might. And might increases your damages. All damages. The damages you deal with your sword, but also with your spells. So both a fighter and a wizard could want to have a high might.
I find this sort of design theorizing really fun. I don’t want to drag too much of the other topic over for you, but with 5e’s structure I’d extend this goal to racial traits as well (ie: something like Savage Attacks applying to all damage types rather than only benefiting melee classes). That’s just the first to come to mind and likely requires more tuning to account for melee range balancing its power as written, but it gets the gist of my point across.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
One thing that I think helps is cribbing a page from the ICE playbook-- every skill is associated with two or three ability scores. Weapons combat is always Strength and Agility, stealth is Agility and Self-Discipline, magic is always some combination of intellect, intuition, and willpower.

Lyxen

Great Old One
One thing that I think helps is cribbing a page from the ICE playbook-- every skill is associated with two or three ability scores. Weapons combat is always Strength and Agility, stealth is Agility and Self-Discipline, magic is always some combination of intellect, intuition, and willpower.

I suggested that in the previous thread, and also mentioned that 4e had it better than most editions, as even for one class, you had to be at least a bit MAD. The main problem with 5e is that there are too many classes that are SAD, at least for many powers. 4e also had it right by mixing Dex (the god stat now in 5e) and Int (probably the least valuable in 5e).

But the main problem is that this complexifies the game a lot, and the intent of 5e is to be as streamlined as possible. What is easy to do in a CRPG which does all computations instantly and effortlessly is a large barrier in a TTRPG that just wants to be fast, because the technicality of the game is absolutely second to having fun.

So I'm happy with the 5e choices overall as the drift towards SAD is manageable, but it's also one reason for which I'm against floating ASIs, because it encourages is too much.

One thing I think would help is removing Constitution, giving classes about either a +2 or +3 modifier worth of HP on level up, making all Constitution saving throws into Strength saving throws, etc.

The problem with Constitution right now in my opinion is that it feels like a 'tax' for builds and discourages putting your stats into another mental score for skills. Everyone needs a good amount of HP, and while you definitely can play more glass cannon (even having a minus modifier for Con), if you even have semi-regular combat you are going to need a lot of healing to help and are going to accept that your character is very, very likely to die or remain unconcious. Plus, if you're a spellcaster (and you will be if you're going glass canon - melee characters really cannot afford to have a low Constitution score), now your Concentration spells are even weaker, as you'll be likely to drop them.

I feel you wouldn't have to change much about ability score rules if you remove Constitution (except maybe stricter multi-classing rules?) and I think it would make class slection that little bit more important.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I feel you wouldn't have to change much about ability score rules if you remove Constitution (except maybe stricter multi-classing rules?) and I think it would make class slection that little bit more important.

I actually think the complete opposite, constitution is really important to make the characters less SAD, and if anything its contribution to HP should be increased, maybe by decreasing the HPs from classes (where I would agree would be in making them more varied, it used to be 1d4 to 1d10 - 1d12 after AD&D UA, now the range has decreased to 1d6-1d12), that way people could still choose to be powerful in their class but would really be glass canons.

Horwath

Legend
That is why I like fewer abilities for an RPG, more abilities, more opportunity for dump stats.
As @Yaarel mentioned, 4 abilities are enough, but I would change them a little:

Strength:
melee attack and damage,
thrown attack and damage,
Hit points,
Carry capacity,
Armor limit,
Fortitude saves(current str and con saves)
Skills: Athletic

Dexterity:
Ranged attack and damage
Finesse attack and damage
AC bonus
Initiative bonus
Reflex saves(current dex saves)
Skills: Acrobatics, Stealth, Thievery

Willpower:
Spell attack, damage and DCs
Will saves(current, int, wis and cha saves)
Aura effects(I.E. paladin saves aura)

Cunning:
Bonus languages,
Initiative bonus,
Skills: Arcana, History, Nature, Religion, Insight, Medicine, Perception, Survival, Deception, Intimidation, Perform, Persuasion,

Lyxen

Great Old One
That is why I like fewer abilities for an RPG, more abilities, more opportunity for dump stats.

Fewer abilities => More opportunity for SAD in a TTRPG where you don't want combination computations

As @Yaarel mentioned, 4 abilities are enough, but I would change them a little:

One of my favourite game, Amber DRPG has only 4 attributes, but with very wide consequences:
  • Psyche ( = Willpower)
  • Strength
  • Endurance (This one is a mandatory stat for characters, I think, Constitution is important and should not be dumped anyway)
  • Warfare (= Overall Combat Skill)
One thing that I like is that there is nothing about intelligence there, as it's something that is really hard to play at a different level from the player's.

I actually think the complete opposite, constitution is really important to make the characters less SAD, and if anything its contribution to HP should be increased, maybe by decreasing the HPs from classes (where I would agree would be in making them more varied, it used to be 1d4 to 1d10 - 1d12 after AD&D UA, now the range has decreased to 1d6-1d12), that way people could still choose to be powerful in their class but would really be glass canons.
Not really? Unless you change point buy to make it so that you have much less points to distribute, getting a high casting or Strength / Dex score and then getting a high Con score is still going to be fairly optimal. If Con becomes even more important, then build diversity will decrease because getting a high Con to survive will be even more important. You won't want to skip out of it. Without Con, a lot of classes get more flexibility. Dex is still going to be a priority for some classes, but it's likely you can get away with a +2 on that and spend your access points on getting better mental scores and having some extra skills.

Heck, now I'm confused why you mean by SAD because right now a lot of classes depending on the game ran are optimally going to invest in Con, getting it to at-least a +2 or +3. But I would still call those SAD since they're only doing that for HP.

You are also going to make starting a level 1 even more lethal without further large adjustments. A 1d4 for Wizards might be appropriate, but Sorcerers are going to have a little bit too much fun being damn squishy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases