D&D General Baldur's Gate -ifying magic items

I have been playing BG3 for the past month, and I very much enjoy the way they do magic items. You find a ton, they mostly all just give you some once per short rest ability, and you end up selling a whole bunch because you can't use them all. But they're fun little toys that give you new tricks.

Recently are regular. GM has been canceling a lot because he's busy planning his wedding, so last night, I am filling in, running an adventure I co-wrote 16 years ago, War of the Burning Sky's second adventure: The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar.

I'm remixing things, fixing weak parts that have bothered me for years while also being a lot more willing to Yes-and my players' suggestions since I have been gaming with these guys for forever.

Like in the previous session they met a guy whose whole gimmick was making weird magic items, like a falchion that is yellow and decorated to look like a giant banana. And they asked for a few more examples, which led to me coming up with a mask that turns your face into a bear and gives you a bite attack.

Which one PC put on his horse.

And in yesterday's session, the party decides to go check out a random side path I mentioned for flavor, which leads to me inventing a brand new encounter, and at the end of it I want to give them some loot. So after the session's over I write this up for them.

===

The longsword has stones inset with elvish runes that read Timbre's Gale. It has a +1 enhancement bonus and can be used as a finesse weapon. Additionally, once per short rest you can use Wind Slash: choose three adjacent squares within 15 feet of you, and conjure a destructive wind to sweep through those spaces, which lets you make an attack against each space as if you were striking in melee.

The bow has a faint swirling pattern in its white wood, and the bowstring is silvery. Small stone beads set into the handle are of a sort Amardil recognizes as being made by various shrines as keepsakes for travelers on pilgrimage to recall their journey, and an elvish rune on them translates to Snowtail Shrine. It has a +1 enhancement bonus, and once per short rest you can use Horn of Ice: after you hit a creature with the bow, you can have the arrow deal 1d6 cold damage, and the target is restrained by clinging ice to an adjacent surface unless it succeeds a DC 13 Strength save. It can make a new save at the end of each round, or can break the ice by dealing at least 1 damage.

The medallion of banded lavender stone has inclusions of white crystal. It is attached to a leather band with numerous beads marked with musical notes, which spell out Adage. The back of the stone is engraved with an elvish proverb: Fine words butter no parsnips. If the medallion is wrapped around the handle of a weapon, it grants that weapon a +1 enhancement bonus. Alternately, the medallion can be worn to gain advantage on Insight checks, and fluency with Elvish and Sylvan.

===

I think going forward I'm going to make almost all my match items more like this. A few can still be big story things, but a lot will just be new toys that they can try out for a few combats and then trade up for something new.

Have any of you been doing stuff like this? Do you have any neat items you want to share and brag about?

CapnZapp

Legend
I would love to have BG3 lessons imported to D&D. However, with the impending release of D&D 2024 I think these will fall through the cracks. Not useful to implement now, and probably forgotten next year.

Dausuul

Legend
I would love to have BG3 lessons imported to D&D. However, with the impending release of D&D 2024 I think these will fall through the cracks. Not useful to implement now, and probably forgotten next year.
The nice thing about BG3-style magic items is that, even if they miss the window to be included in the 2024 update, they can be put in later. With the runaway success of BG3, I don't think it's going to be forgotten in a year.

Personally, I would love to see BG3's elixirs brought into D&D. Elixirs are special potions that give you some kind of boost until your next long rest. It's a nifty way to push back on the 5-minute workday by providing a disincentive to rest.

(Mind you, there are certain elixirs that really should not be imported to D&D -- specifically, the ones that run roughshod over action economy and bounded accuracy. Yes, Bloodlust and Battlemage's Power, I mean you. But most of them are fine. Anyway, I'm more interested in the overall elixir mechanic than any specific elixir.)

Last edited:

Remove ads