D&D 5E BAM: Where's 5E??

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
That picture is among the worst I've seen, but there are similar problems at Barnes & Noble, which doesn't carry that many RPG lines. Even so, they tend to have the Player's Handbook from the AD&D Second Edition Reprint, D&D 3.5 Reprint, D&D Fourth Edition, and D&D Fifth Edition all on the same shelves. Occasionally, I see one of the earlier edition books get the coveted cover-visible locations.

Clearly, everyone who still plays the older editions needs to go buy up those extra books. Then everybody wins.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
As a former bookseller, I can assure you that many times the book that is going to end up with that coveted cover facing out shelving is entirely based on chance when the person stocking the shelves needs to solve the puzzle caused by new stock that needs to be shelved and old stock being sold while trying to avoid undesirable gaps on the shelf. End caps are a different story, since those are designated by corporate usually.

There is also the fact that role playing section is such a low priority for the book store. When I was working in a book store, we knew that the game section and the comics/manga were going to be high traffic areas that saw few sales, so many of the other sellers wrote it off as a lost cause when it came to organizing.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
And, apparently, Pathfinder.

Nothing you see in a retail store is there by accident. Shelf space is expensive. It costs money for your product to appear on shelves AT ALL. It costs more money to get prominent, face out placement and more money still to have a shelf with your brand featured prominently (Paizo is clearly spending that money).

If your product is buried on the bottom shelf that's because you're not paying the stores that carry it enough money to make them care.

Speaking as a former big-box book store merchandiser, I'm calling BS on some of this. ;)

If BAM operates anything like B&N or other big-box book stores, the merchandising team doesn't pay much attention to the obscure little corner of the dungeon where they've stuck the "game books" (I noticed videogame strategy guides crammed in there too...yeah, those shelves are not seeing a lot of turnover). It's all about the front of the store, the endcaps, the big displays, the things that corporate sends special signs for. Bestsellers, celebrity authors, seasonal stuff, accessories...that's what the merch team is going to pay attention to, and what they are (at a high enough level) paid to pay attention to. The newest FR novel might get the merch team's attention (it's likely going on a bestseller list somewhere and genre stuff is a book store's bread and butter these days). The actual game rulebooks likely do not.

Paizo is likely paying for those little banners that run along the shelves. Probably not much, since if the BAM management thinks it's worth it, BAM in general is probably selling a good chunk of Pathfinder products, and thinks these banners will sell more.

But Paizo isn't paying BAM to turn out their card came sets any more than WotC is paying them to turn out that 3e MM. Turning out down in the stacks has much more to do with inventory and product shape than anything else. That 3e MM reprint was turned out because they probably had quite a few of the buggers, and the adventure card games are turned out because they are big, weirdly shaped boxes that aren't comfortable on the shelves (check out how the other products on the top shelf overreach the shelf's depth, and now imagine an energetic four-year-old charging past there). The card sets are on the top shelf for the same reason: big, weird boxes that eat up a lot of horizontal space, making the selves less empty or less monolithic with one product.

If your product is buried on the bottom shelf (in a section that's likely better known for selling manga and being a frickin' mess because of all the weird-shaped books) it's just because that's where there was space when they were stocking the shelves. If your product is turned out, it's just because it's weird-shaped, or the store has a lot of it. It's not because you're not paying the store owner. The only thing any publisher is paying for, merch-wise, in that display, are those shelf banners. You know, those two little strips of cardboard mostly covered in shadow because they're below weirdly shaped books.

Sigbjorn_86

First Post
That picture is among the worst I've seen, but there are similar problems at Barnes & Noble, which doesn't carry that many RPG lines. Even so, they tend to have the Player's Handbook from the AD&D Second Edition Reprint, D&D 3.5 Reprint, D&D Fourth Edition, and D&D Fifth Edition all on the same shelves. Occasionally, I see one of the earlier edition books get the coveted cover-visible locations.

Clearly, everyone who still plays the older editions needs to go buy up those extra books. Then everybody wins.

I was at a B&N shortly before Christmas. There were Pathfinder boxed sets in the board game section and a 5e endcap near the...Prima video game guides. Otherwise there were no PnP or tabletop RPGs.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I'd note that my hometown B&N looked a bit like this ... but that was because most of the 5E stuff was included in their "Gifts for Gamers" endcap.

I'm still Neutral Ambivalent on 5E and the broader D&D culture, but it's a good sign as far as marketing success goes.

casterblaster

First Post
And, apparently, Pathfinder.

Nothing you see in a retail store is there by accident. Shelf space is expensive. It costs money for your product to appear on shelves AT ALL. It costs more money to get prominent, face out placement and more money still to have a shelf with your brand featured prominently (Paizo is clearly spending that money).

If your product is buried on the bottom shelf that's because you're not paying the stores that carry it enough money to make them care.

I don't think BAM follows this line of logic. My local BAM looks the same as this guys. I went to pick up RoT and it was in the video gam guide section of all places

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
If your product is buried on the bottom shelf (in a section that's likely better known for selling manga and being a frickin' mess because of all the weird-shaped books) it's just because that's where there was space when they were stocking the shelves. If your product is turned out, it's just because it's weird-shaped, or the store has a lot of it. It's not because you're not paying the store owner. The only thing any publisher is paying for, merch-wise, in that display, are those shelf banners. You know, those two little strips of cardboard mostly covered in shadow because they're below weirdly shaped books.

I have to agree, if only because its right beside the David Sedaris book featuring the smoking skeleton on the cover (funny book, my wife bought it six years ago).

aramis erak

Legend
They need to reorder their stock, and/or pull the Pathfinder tape from the 2nd shelf. It's also interesting to note the D&D5 books scattered across 3 shelves.

Mephistopheles

First Post
Oddly enough, the first book I'd probably check out is the one on the bottom shelf that is spine up, just because I can't tell at a glance what it is (too tall for the shelf?).

Remove ads