• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ban the Thayan Menace!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berandor

lunatic
I just think Thayan's posts come off dirisive and belittling. It's not really the content that caused me to put him on ignore, but the style.

It happens to all of us sometimes, but I got the impression in a lot of posts - and again in his "rules" above. The rules don't speak of someone really examining something, but of bitterness.

So, Thayan, my advice would be, "It's not what you say, but how you say it." And an addendum, "emoticons don't make a bad post good."

You can disagree with people all you want, and critisize them, too. But doing so and making the biggest part of your post advice on correct spelling and then, if the other person tells you their spelling is correct and proves it, responding "I know" - or exaggerating their arguments out of proportion, is not the way to do it.

Yes, I know other posters are doing it, too. All I can say is to get on my ignore list, you must have a series or history of either passive-aggressive arguments, or of not taking other posters seriously. And this series or history must be long or strong enough to overshadow any positive posts I remember you making.

For you, it was not taking other opinions seriously.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Interesting ....

Berandor said:
Yes, I know other posters are doing it, too. All I can say is to get on my ignore list, you must have a series or history of either passive-aggressive arguments, or of not taking other posters seriously.
You once called me your "new guru". Et tu Berandor?

Berandor

lunatic
The Thayan Menace said:
You once called me your "new guru". Et tu Berandor?
You see. that was soo '04!

I'd forgotten. Totally.

But that old thread shows your promise, padawan. You are hereby put on parole and off my ignore list again.

BSF

Explorer
Berandor said:
I just think Thayan's posts come off dirisive and belittling. It's not really the content that caused me to put him on ignore, but the style.

It happens to all of us sometimes, but I got the impression in a lot of posts - and again in his "rules" above. The rules don't speak of someone really examining something, but of bitterness.

So, Thayan, my advice would be, "It's not what you say, but how you say it." And an addendum, "emoticons don't make a bad post good."

You can disagree with people all you want, and critisize them, too. But doing so and making the biggest part of your post advice on correct spelling and then, if the other person tells you their spelling is correct and proves it, responding "I know" - or exaggerating their arguments out of proportion, is not the way to do it.

Yes, I know other posters are doing it, too. All I can say is to get on my ignore list, you must have a series or history of either passive-aggressive arguments, or of not taking other posters seriously. And this series or history must be long or strong enough to overshadow any positive posts I remember you making.

For you, it was not taking other opinions seriously.

For me it was mostly too many posts without any real contribution to the topic. Incessant, non-productive sniping, coupled with a bunch of smilies to appear 'clever'. Nothing offensive, nothing directly aimed at me, just annoying. Coupled with the lame pictures, I finally found that my EN World experience was much better reducing posts to a just a couple of lines of wasted browser space rather than several of lines with a picture.

My response to meeting somebody similar at a dinner party would be to walk away because the person isn't worth the time.

Incidentally, I stopped by the thread because I was suprised anybody would post such a thing. Then I noted that the first post was #2 and I finally checked to see who the thread starter was. I don't think the Thayan Menace needs to be banned. I would have been happy to just have useful contributions by him in threads I read.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Constructive Commentary is Appreciated

BardStephenFox said:
I don't think the Thayan Menace needs to be banned. I would have been happy to just have useful contributions by him in threads I read.
I will endeavor to be more useful in the future (as I have been in the past, according to Berandor); thanks for checking out the thread .... :)

genshou

First Post
Dinkeldog said:
ENWorld is a rather forgiving place. Even if you start with a reputation as a jerk, it's not too difficult to mature into a reasonable member that is valued by much of the community.
Exactly! Like me... except I'm not sure if I'm valued by the community for anything but the fact that I'm paying to keep it going :p
[Edit: That and the fact that I've pretty much become RangerWickett's toady, actively promoting his books in a number of threads.]

I posted a few times in 2003, when I first joined. There was a 2-year period of inactivity, and you'd be surprised by how big of a difference it made in my civility. I'm shocked I was that mean (and stupid) back then. Give yourself time. Eventually, you'll learn from the examples of others around you. Oh, you can still be stubborn and argumentative. Is there anyone out there who'd like to assign those traits to me? :D But you can learn to do it in a civil manner, as I hope I have.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
I Don't Intend to Stop Posting

genshou said:
I posted a few times in 2003, when I first joined. There was a 2-year period of inactivity, and you'd be surprised by how big of a difference it made in my civility.
Okay .... However, I don't plan to take a hiatus; I find ENworld's resources too valuable to simply drop them for such a long period of time. Hopefully, I can pick up whatever tips I need from this thread, and move on as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads