• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ban the Thayan Menace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seniority helps.

1. Pictures are to be posted sparingly.
Pictures are fine if they're on topic. The classic internet random joke picture (like "You found teh winnar!" Rinndalir was so found of) are akin to jumping into a conversation and shouting "Boogabooga!"

2. Pointing out another poster's foibles or inconsistencies constitutes a "personal attack".
You're wrong. So wrong, you're the wrongedest wrongster on wrongstreet.

But yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. If someone's irritating you, it's okay to say, "Dude, you're irritating me. Here's why. Please stop it because I don't want to have to rely on the moderators to solve my problems." But if you just think someone is a little weird (like Nightfall; sheesh, can that man say nothing but "Scarred Lands!"?), keep it to yourself unless it's actively an issue.

3. Criticizing a game company or industry designer is to be avoided.
This is actually a touchy one. Criticizing a product is fine. Ditto with a product line. Ditto with art or design or rules vel cetera. I, for instance, thought the Complete Guide to monsters from Goodman Games had pretty mediocre art, and some of the mechanics were unnecessarily divergent from what I'd expect in d20. But I'll not say an ill word against Joe Goodman, or the writers, or the artists themselves. It's okay to dislike someone's work. It's rude to talk about disliking a person.

There are a few rude industry folks who post in the Publishers forum and step on toes, and while it's . . . eh, acceptable to grouse about them, it's not really good.

4. Making jokes about a gaming company or industry employee is also not acceptable.
Well, yeah.

5. You do not debate other posters, even if you disagree with them.
I can see where you'd get this, but it's not really accurate. As long as you're not vitriolic, debate all you want. Just don't debate about religion or politics. Don't call names, etc. Y'know, basically if your parents would have disciplined you for doing something, don't do it here.

6. Rick James is a hell of a drug, but his time is over.
Not in my ghost-riddled d20 Modern game!

7. Not everyone likes me, but I can live with that.
I actually think that's written somewhere in the Terms of Usage for the messageboards. . . .

8. Conversing with people I disagree with can get me in trouble.
Restraint.

9. I will probably spend most of my time in the Playing the Game section to avoid trouble.
I never go in there. It's a dark and scary place. Full of dice.

Ghostwind

First Post
The counter to the Hongstick is a wet trout slap...

Thayan, the best advice you can heed is to simply think before you post. If your post sounds like it could be taken wrong, then take a moment to reword it so it may not sound so confrontation or negative. Publishers and individuals do not mind criticism as long as it is done in a polite and constrictive manner. And that is something you will pick up as you get more involved with the community.

kirinke

First Post
diaglo said:
don't mess with the hong or you'll get the stick.

I gave hypersmurf a +2 hongstick once.... I think he put an additional enchantment on it: bane of hong. :) ;)

But to that. Politness, politness, politness rules here. Nothingland is where you can be rude, crude and socially unacceptable. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads