D&D General Banish my players

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Feywild makes sense as the time distortion could result in them being gone for a very long time... or no time at all.

However, if this is a powerful wizard, the spell Demiplane might provide a fun trap.

On the other hand, the Elemental Plane of Fire could be fun by forcing them to figure out how to navigate to the City of Brass to arrange travel home. Similarly, Dis and the City of Iron can be an interesting place to negotiate ...

Whatever you choose, you're likely to end up with a short adventure as the PCs can use the spell banishment to return to the PMP. If you have a cleric, they can cast it. If you have a wizard or sorcerer and they level up, they can select it.
Banish would send each creature, one at a time, to random places in the prime. Not a great first go-to option.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I would recommend Mechanus. Imagine having to dodge spider-legged metallic outsiders searching the Grand Design for 'bugs' while navigating a brassy landscape of turning gears, massive flywheels, pulleys, and piston systems. There would be many opportunities for moving battlefield elements, social interaction, exploration, and, even, combat with Modrons whose orders are to destroy creatures who trespass in restricted areas.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you have looked through Descent to Avernus, pop them in next to somebody / someplace interesting. Maybe the entrapped city of Elturel (so they can get back after achieving a hard quest).

Banish would send each creature, one at a time, to random places in the prime. Not a great first go-to option.

The RAW spell isn't specific on the destination on the home plane (obviously designed to be cast on random outsider whose fate doesn't interest the players in any way). It could be a random place, but then it would be randomly deadly (on an earth-like planet, you'd generally end up far in the sea... and the prime include outer space as well..). The intent of the spell is to be harmless (if you're native, you're taken to a safe demiplane for the duration of the spell), so at least it should send the PC back to somewhere safe-ish. Maybe... the place they entered the outer plane from (but it would be too easy to exact vengeance on the NPC). At this level, they should be able to get in touch with each other quickly (but not necessarily regroup quickly, which is not fun).

It's something the players might attempt, unless being told of the risk of ending up in an inappropriate location beforehand.

That is how the spell works for PCs. No reason the NPC doesn't have access to a different spell or magic able to banish the group.

I think the idea was that the Cleric of the party would simply cast the Banishment spell on the other characters, which has the effect of sending them back to their "birth plane", after they are sent (by an NPC) to a remote plane of existence, and finishing by banishing himself last. It would take a few days at most.

dave2008

Legend
I think the idea was that the Cleric of the party would simply cast the Banishment spell on the other characters, which has the effect of sending them back to their "birth plane", after they are sent (by an NPC) to a remote plane of existence, and finishing by banishing himself last. It would take a few days at most.
I thought he was quoting the OP, my mistake and thank you for catching it!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The RAW spell isn't specific on the destination on the home plane (obviously designed to be cast on random outsider whose fate doesn't interest the players in any way). It could be a random place, but then it would be randomly deadly (on an earth-like planet, you'd generally end up far in the sea... and the prime include outer space as well..). The intent of the spell is to be harmless (if you're native, you're taken to a safe demiplane for the duration of the spell), so at least it should send the PC back to somewhere safe-ish. Maybe... the place they entered the outer plane from (but it would be too easy to exact vengeance on the NPC). At this level, they should be able to get in touch with each other quickly (but not necessarily regroup quickly, which is not fun).

It's something the players might attempt, unless being told of the risk of ending up in an inappropriate location beforehand.
yep. It should bring them to a safe place, but they could be continents away. It’s a risk, especially if the plane they’re on is dangerous and spending multiple days on the process of splitting the party isn’t a safe proposition.

Could be really fun to run, though.
Switch perspective round by round in a skill challenge, weave any combat into the skill challenge, with failures slowing down the process of regrouping and giving the NPC more time to enact their plan.

end the whole thing with a couple new allies/contacts, some resources spent, and some real weight given to the whole thing.
That is how the spell works for PCs. No reason the NPC doesn't have access to a different spell or magic able to banish the group.

Remove ads