Banish my players

Ravilah

Explorer
So as part of the story, my players are likely to be banished to another plane by an NPC they thought was an ally. The NPC wants the PCs out of the way, but doesn’t want to bear the guilt of out and out murdering them. What inner or outer plane(s) would you send unprepared players that would be hard to return from, dangerous enough to be exciting, but not an absolute death trap?

jmartkdr2

Villager
Yggdrasil, the CCG plane, is a Norse-themed place where warriors fight deadly beasts to gain glory and honor for all eternity!

Of course, not being dead yet the players will (okay, should) be more risk averse then the already dead souls of the einherjar who normally reside there.

Hard to return from: like most outer planes, it's supposed to keep souls in, so there are no easy exits, even for the living. If they simple get out directly their either floating in the astral sea or in one of the adjacent planes, which can be the seeming utter emptiness of Concrodant Opposition, the fey chaos of Aborea, or the absolute chaos of Limbo. All of which are worse than Yggdrasil.

Dangerous: yes, but only because everything's Texas-sized. Beyond that it would actually be pretty familiar. Breathable air, animals and monsters, the occasional village (of warriors because no one needs to eat of make the food - it just sort of appears, along with plenty of booze).

aco175

Adventurer
First thought is the beast lands. You can survive, but the animals many end up eating you so I do not need to feel bad as if I sent you to the fire plane or such.

aco175

Adventurer
Jeez... from thread title I thought you wanted to actually banish your players....

That would have made for an interesting thread IMO. ;)
Send them to the library, then they have to be quiet. Just send one to get pizza though.

Galandris

Adventurer
Which cosmology are you using and what is the party level?

One idea you could use to change the usual composition of opponents would be to send them to Mount Celestia, in one of the upper layer. In this plane, the souls strive to be lawful-good enough to ascend to the uppermost layer, Chronias, where only law and good prevail. With the party being planeshifted, say, to Jovar, they would be technically trespassers and... would you want to be an illegal alien in a very lawful realm? They could be chased, so the players would, for once, have to fight the few good creatures in the monster manual, but they could also plead their case (as the plane is good-aligned, they won't meet only lawful-stupid paladins) and get the information they need to go down through Mertion and Solania to reach the layer of Venya, where there is a portal to the realm of Selune, where the infinite staircase sits, connecting to any city of the multiverse... and therefore home. The NPC, if he's reluctant to outright kill them, would think sending them to a good place would be "not too bad on his conscience".

The place doesn't meddle too much with magical powers so your spellcasting characters won't be nerfed too much (like they would be on concordant opposition).

jgsugden

Adventurer
Feywild makes sense as the time distortion could result in them being gone for a very long time... or no time at all.

However, if this is a powerful wizard, the spell Demiplane might provide a fun trap.

On the other hand, the Elemental Plane of Fire could be fun by forcing them to figure out how to navigate to the City of Brass to arrange travel home. Similarly, Dis and the City of Iron can be an interesting place to negotiate ...

Whatever you choose, you're likely to end up with a short adventure as the PCs can use the spell banishment to return to the PMP. If you have a cleric, they can cast it. If you have a wizard or sorcerer and they level up, they can select it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Feywild makes sense as the time distortion could result in them being gone for a very long time... or no time at all.

However, if this is a powerful wizard, the spell Demiplane might provide a fun trap.

On the other hand, the Elemental Plane of Fire could be fun by forcing them to figure out how to navigate to the City of Brass to arrange travel home. Similarly, Dis and the City of Iron can be an interesting place to negotiate ...

Whatever you choose, you're likely to end up with a short adventure as the PCs can use the spell banishment to return to the PMP. If you have a cleric, they can cast it. If you have a wizard or sorcerer and they level up, they can select it.
Banish would send each creature, one at a time, to random places in the prime. Not a great first go-to option.

Aebir-Toril

Is lukewarm on the Forgotten Realms
I would recommend Mechanus. Imagine having to dodge spider-legged metallic outsiders searching the Grand Design for 'bugs' while navigating a brassy landscape of turning gears, massive flywheels, pulleys, and piston systems. There would be many opportunities for moving battlefield elements, social interaction, exploration, and, even, combat with Modrons whose orders are to destroy creatures who trespass in restricted areas.

Eltab

Adventurer
If you have looked through Descent to Avernus, pop them in next to somebody / someplace interesting. Maybe the entrapped city of Elturel (so they can get back after achieving a hard quest).

Galandris

Adventurer
Banish would send each creature, one at a time, to random places in the prime. Not a great first go-to option.
The RAW spell isn't specific on the destination on the home plane (obviously designed to be cast on random outsider whose fate doesn't interest the players in any way). It could be a random place, but then it would be randomly deadly (on an earth-like planet, you'd generally end up far in the sea... and the prime include outer space as well..). The intent of the spell is to be harmless (if you're native, you're taken to a safe demiplane for the duration of the spell), so at least it should send the PC back to somewhere safe-ish. Maybe... the place they entered the outer plane from (but it would be too easy to exact vengeance on the NPC). At this level, they should be able to get in touch with each other quickly (but not necessarily regroup quickly, which is not fun).

It's something the players might attempt, unless being told of the risk of ending up in an inappropriate location beforehand.

Galandris

Adventurer
That is how the spell works for PCs. No reason the NPC doesn't have access to a different spell or magic able to banish the group.
I think the idea was that the Cleric of the party would simply cast the Banishment spell on the other characters, which has the effect of sending them back to their "birth plane", after they are sent (by an NPC) to a remote plane of existence, and finishing by banishing himself last. It would take a few days at most.

dave2008

Legend
I think the idea was that the Cleric of the party would simply cast the Banishment spell on the other characters, which has the effect of sending them back to their "birth plane", after they are sent (by an NPC) to a remote plane of existence, and finishing by banishing himself last. It would take a few days at most.
I thought he was quoting the OP, my mistake and thank you for catching it!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The RAW spell isn't specific on the destination on the home plane (obviously designed to be cast on random outsider whose fate doesn't interest the players in any way). It could be a random place, but then it would be randomly deadly (on an earth-like planet, you'd generally end up far in the sea... and the prime include outer space as well..). The intent of the spell is to be harmless (if you're native, you're taken to a safe demiplane for the duration of the spell), so at least it should send the PC back to somewhere safe-ish. Maybe... the place they entered the outer plane from (but it would be too easy to exact vengeance on the NPC). At this level, they should be able to get in touch with each other quickly (but not necessarily regroup quickly, which is not fun).

It's something the players might attempt, unless being told of the risk of ending up in an inappropriate location beforehand.
yep. It should bring them to a safe place, but they could be continents away. It’s a risk, especially if the plane they’re on is dangerous and spending multiple days on the process of splitting the party isn’t a safe proposition.

Could be really fun to run, though.
Switch perspective round by round in a skill challenge, weave any combat into the skill challenge, with failures slowing down the process of regrouping and giving the NPC more time to enact their plan.

end the whole thing with a couple new allies/contacts, some resources spent, and some real weight given to the whole thing.
That is how the spell works for PCs. No reason the NPC doesn't have access to a different spell or magic able to banish the group.

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I would banish the PCs to an alternate world on the material plane, which was almost exactly identical to the one they came from ... but subtly and disturbingly different.

Part of the challenge would be to understand that they’ve been banished, and what happened.

Legatus_Legionis

< BLAH HA Ha ha >
Why banish to another plane?

Just banish them to a different game setting.

For example, send them from the Forgotten Realms to Greyhawk, or to a home-campaign world.

It is a great way to get your players to experience other worlds (and also gives the DM a chance to change the setting).

Advertisement