Barbarian Fast Movement Clarification

I have seen a few posts here and there on this topic, but none of the ones I've seen have been able to settle my confusion.

Here is what it says in the PHB

Fast Movement (Ex): A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn. For example, a human barbarian has a speed of 40 feet, rather than 30 feet, when wearing light or no armor. When wearing medium armor or carrying a medium load, his speed drops to 30 feet. A halfling barbarian has a speed of 30 feet, rather than 20 feet, in light or no armor. When wearing medium armor or carrying a medium load, his speed drops to 20 feet.

To reiterate, it says "This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor" I read that as saying that it applies as long as he is not wearing heavy armor. Because it says "no armor, light armor, or medium armor", it implies wearing these three categories do not affect the barbarian. If it meant you cannot wear light armor or heavy armor, it would not also say "no armor" (It would be like saying "you can't use a gun, a small gun, a big gun". It's redundant). This is reinforced by stating the barbarian must "NOT (be) carrying a heavy load".

However, every time after that it indicates that medium armor does negate this. "A human barbarian has a speed of 40 feet, rather than 30 feet, when wearing light or no armor. When wearing medium armor or carrying a medium load, his speed drops to 30 feet." I know all the armor has it's own penalties to speed, but the question here is about what can a barbarian use to keep his fast movement?

So is fast movement applied when wearing medium armor or not? Is it negated only when carrying a heavy load, or does a medium load as well? The book seems to directly contradict itself.

Last edited:

Boneguard

First Post
He still does have that benefit.

Let's compare a Human barbarian and a Human fighter

Barbarian: Unencumbered to light load
- While unarmored or wearing light armour he moves at 40 feet
- While in medium armour he moves at 30 feet
- While in heavy armour he moves at 20 feet.

Fighter: Unencumbered or light load

- While unarmored or wearing light armour he moves at 30 feet
- While in medium armour he moves at 20 feet
- While in heavy armour he moves at 20 feet.

Barbarian: Medium load
- While unarmored or wearing light armour he moves at 30 feet
- While in medium armour he moves at 20 feet
- While in heavy armour he moves at 15 feet.

Fighter: Medium load
- While unarmored or wearing light armour he moves at 20 feet
- While in medium armour he moves at 15 feet
- While in heavy arour he moves at 15 feet.

Barbarian and fighter: Heavy load
- While unarmored or wearing light armour he moves at 20 feet
- While in medium armour he moves at 15 feet
- While in heavy armour he moves at 15 feet.

We can clearly see that as long as he is not wearing Heavy armour or carrying a heavy load, he's always faster than non-barbarian of the same race.

Dandu

First Post
However, every time after that it indicates that medium armor does negate this. "A human barbarian has a speed of 40 feet, rather than 30 feet, when wearing light or no armor. When wearing medium armor or carrying a medium load, his speed drops to 30 feet." I know all the armor has it's own penalties to speed, but the question here is about what can a barbarian use to keep his fast movement?

So is fast movement applied when wearing medium armor or not? Is it negated only when carrying a heavy load, or does a medium load as well? The book seems to directly contradict itself.

Doesn't the fact that armor has a penalty to speed answer that question? Your speed in medium armor is 20 ft if your base movement speed was 30 ft. A barbarian in Medium armor moves at 30 ft, 10 ft faster than normal due to his movement speed bonus applying.

Last edited:

N'raac

First Post
Funny...I also post on the Hero System web site, and Hero is often criticized for the ever-increasing size of its rule books. Why are they ever-increasing? More detailed explanations and more examples.

Fast Movement as written is 124 words. Boneguard's example is 181 words (and will take up more page space due to its formatting). So, if we increase each ability from 120 or so words to 300 or so, do the books include only 40% of the current abilities, or do we grow the books' page count to 2.5 times the current length?

Or do we put the detailed info on line (how big do those FAQs get?), or do we rely on internet forums?

Remove ads