D&D (2024) Bard Playtest discussion

Yaarel

He Mage
That is an intentional design choice though, to not give them abjuration (shield, mage armor, ect) and to still give them healing.

Remember, if they get Divine or Primal from Magical secrets, they get healing spells, but even if they gained Abjuration, the Arcane list doesn't have healing spells.
Because the Bard masters both Illusion and Transmutation, and specializes in defense and support, I see no difficulty with a Bard casting Mage Armor and Shield.

The problem is with the spell schools themselves being an inconsistent and less useful way to organize spells thematically.

For example, if force-effect spells were all part of the same spell thematic, including Fly, Telekinesis, Unseen Servant and Shield, I wouldnt want the Bard to have it. (But as a Magical Secret it is fine.)

But as-is, the spell schools are a clumsy way to organize spells. The source lists of Primal, Arcane, and Divine, are even worse.

Within this dysfunctional D&D spell school tradition, the Bard might as well have all Abjuration spells.

Also, can we get finally rid of either Perform or instrument tool proficiencies? The idea that someone can play an instrument but not perform with it is just goofy. Perform is such a ridiculously narrow use skill anyways. We may as well bring back Read Lips. Move Perform to the tool category of secondary skills (along w artistic ability).

Haplo781

Legend
Also, can we get finally rid of either Perform or instrument tool proficiencies? The idea that someone can play an instrument but not perform with it is just goofy. Perform is such a ridiculously narrow use skill anyways. We may as well bring back Read Lips. Move Perform to the tool category of secondary skills (along w artistic ability).
Kill Perform, revive Streetwise.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For most people healing and protective magic go hand and hand. Final Fantasy white mage, MTG white mana, etc. This is a change I can get behind. "White necromancy" was a little used concept anyways. I'm fine with updating the schools to keep with the times.
Inspiration was a little-used concept too, but WotC is pushing that HARD.

Shiroiken

Legend
There are many Bard concepts that dont use a musical instrument. The Bard even mentions relying on "verse" and "dance".

I find it highly problematic that the Bard Spellcasting Focus insists on the use of a Musical Instrument.

There must be a way to rely on voice only. (Or somatic only if via dance.)
You can still always use a component pouch... which you should still probably have even if you have a focus. Being able to just have "me" to ignore most material components kinda defeats the purpose of them.

Haplo781

Legend
You can still always use a component pouch... which you should still probably have even if you have a focus. Being able to just have "me" to ignore most material components kinda defeats the purpose of them.
Honestly there's about zero point in nonmagical implements even being distinguished from one another unless they have a special property.

For most people healing and protective magic go hand and hand. Final Fantasy white mage, MTG white mana, etc. This is a change I can get behind. "White necromancy" was a little used concept anyways. I'm fine with updating the schools to keep with the times.
I don't have an issue with the white mage archetype (but this doesn't really get you there unless school specialties give you cross list access to spells). I just find it odd that this completely untethers the game term from the meaning of the word.

"Oh spirit of gaping chest wounds, in the name of Pelor I rebuke you!"

Remove ads