D&D (2024) Bard Playtest discussion

I finally got home from work and got a chance to start reading this playtest. I got as far as page 4 before noticing a peculiarity: the Bard is proficient with Simple Weapons, but then the Starting Equipment lists a Shortsword. Either it's a typo, or Shortswords are going to move form Martial to Simple.
They're simple weapons - it's on page 36

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Mostly positive changes in my opinion, except for Song of Rest getting replaced with healing spells being always-prepared. But old song of rest got rolled into Inspiring Leader, so that’s alright I guess.

Charlaquin

I must say the Cutting Words upgrade is hella neat and lends itself to the mental image of taking somebody out with a verbal smackdown. The Bard's version of Eldritch Blast if ya will.
Also: Songs of Restoration is a really awesome thing. And as I mentioned before in the main Expert Class thread, it
reminds me of it being the Bard's version of Patron Spells, Oath Spells, and Domain Spells.

And going by that logic, a Bard having choices of "Songs" that do things is really intriguing. So, if you have Songs of Restoration, you get healing spells. If you have Songs of Misdirection, you get Illusion spells, etc etc. I mean, really different Bard subclasses going forward would be able to do that if the idea goes through during the playtest survey.
It’s a base bard feature though, not a subclass feature.

Charlaquin

I finally got home from work and got a chance to start reading this playtest. I got as far as page 4 before noticing a peculiarity: the Bard is proficient with Simple Weapons, but then the Starting Equipment lists a Shortsword. Either it's a typo, or Shortswords are going to move from Martial to Simple.
You didn’t read the whole packet, did you?

The Glen

Legend
Bard needs lot of options, they are supposed to be jack of all trades. Songs of restoration pigeon holes them into back up healers, but what if they want to be Frontline support or to jack with the enemy? Let them pick a set of spells. So when the dwarves charge the orcs, you can have the bard cranking Sabaton for combat boosts screaming healing is for winners.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases