• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic Armor Enhancement Total question

Nonlethal Force

First Post
This is a simple question that shouldn't cause too much debate.

A typical armor/shield (non-epic) can have a +10 combined bonus value, although no more than 5 from straight enhancement bonuses. But what about the enhancements that have gold value equivalencies rather than +X equivalencies?

For example - Shadow armor. Say I have a +1 leather shadow armor. If I am doing the math right, it is 10 gold for the armor, 150 for the masterwork, +1,000 for the +1 enhancement bonus, +3,750 for the regular shadow enhancement. So the armor costs 4,910 gold if I can add in my head right. But assuming I did that right, price is not the issue here.

The question is ... is that armor considered a +1 according to the rule that says you can have a maximum of +10 on a non-epic armor?

If it is a +1 total, then am I correct in assuming that you can add any number of abilities that are measured in gold to your armor? [If it is more than a +1 total piece of armor, then obviously this statement is incorrect.]

hafrogman

Adventurer
One of the definitions of an "epic" item, is one that cost more than 200,000 gp, but since that doesn't trigger the increased cost multiplier, it's a largely meaningless distinction. The cost bonus additions (shadowed, resistances, etc.) do not count against the enhancement/equivalent limit.

frankthedm

First Post
I assume some of the effects costing raw gold allows for charcters who could really use those abilitiet not have to pay through the nose for them and prevents the cost from eating into the armor's effectivness. This really maters for the cheaper abilities since if they were just +1, that stilll cranks the cost up once more than a few mods or enhancements are added.

Glamered +2,700 gp
Slick +3,750 gp
Shadow +3,750 gp
Silent moves +3,750 gp
Slick, improved +15,000 gp
Shadow, improved +15,000 gp
Silent moves, improved +15,000 gp
Acid resistance +18,000 gp
Cold resistance +18,000 gp
Electricity resistance +18,000 gp
Fire resistance +18,000 gp
Sonic resistance +18,000 gp
Slick, greater +33,750 gp
Shadow, greater +33,750 gp
Silent moves, greater +33,750 gp
Acid resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Cold resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Electricity resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Fire resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Sonic resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Etherealness +49,000 gp
Undead controlling +49,000 gp
Acid resistance, greater +66,000 gp
Cold resistance, greater +66,000 gp
Electricity resistance, greater +66,000 gp
Fire resistance, greater +66,000 gp
Sonic resistance, greater +66,000 gpSpecial Ability Base Priodifier
Shields
Acid resistance +18,000 gp
Cold resistance +18,000 gp
Electricity resistance +18,000 gp
Fire resistance +18,000 gp
Sonic resistance +18,000 gp
Acid resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Cold resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Electricity resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Fire resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Sonic resistance, improved +42,000 gp
Undead controlling +49,000 gp
Acid resistance, greater +66,000 gp
Cold resistance, greater +66,000 gp
Electricity resistance, greater +66,000 gp
Fire resistance, greater +66,000 gp
Sonic resistance, greater +66,000 gp

Ditch

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
is that armor considered a +1 according to the rule that says you can have a maximum of +10 on a non-epic armor?
Yep, you'd have yourself a +1 armor for all intents and purposes. Also remember, only the enhancement bonuses make it harder to sunder.

+2 hardness, +10 HPs per enhancment bonus

So having a +1 item with lots of gimicks isn't always the best idea (at least if you are fighting creatures who can sunder armor).

frankthedm

First Post
Ditch said:
Yep, you'd have yourself a +1 armor for all intents and purposes. Also remember, only the enhancement bonuses make it harder to sunder.

So having a +1 item with lots of gimicks isn't always the best idea (at least if you are fighting creatures who can sunder armor).
SUnder does not work on armor, but a bebelith's special ability does damage it.

Many ooze outright dissolve armor making it useless.

dagger

Adventurer
Sunder

Sundering a Carried or Worn Object

You don’t use an opposed attack roll to damage a carried or worn object. Instead, just make an attack roll against the object’s AC. A carried or worn object’s AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character. Attacking a carried or worn object provokes an attack of opportunity just as attacking a held object does. To attempt to snatch away an item worn by a defender rather than damage it, see Disarm. You can’t sunder armor worn by another character.

I never knew that....interesting.

glass

(he, him)
Ditch said:

That's +2 hardness and +10 hp for each point of real enhancement bonus. Enhancement bonus equivalents for pricing purposes don't count any more than flat prices do.

I'm sure you knew that but, in the context of this thread, I though it was worth clarifying.

glass.

glass

(he, him)
hafrogman said:
One of the definitions of an "epic" item, is one that cost more than 200,000 gp, but since that doesn't trigger the increased cost multiplier, it's a largely meaningless distinction.
Its not entirely meaningless. It means you can't make the items yourself until level 21+, and even then you need an extra feat. And if you want to get one made, epic casters don't hang out on every street corner.

glass.

3d6

Explorer
That's assuming you're using the optional epic rules, of course. That's the only place that rules appears. Even if you are using those rules, those guidelines aren't iron-clad. The rules say that "the following are typical characteristics of an epic magic item. In general, an item with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item." The staff of power, for example, has a market price of 211,000 gp and doesn't require an epic-level creator.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads