• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic D&D: Did it hook you?

Did you start playing RPGs because of Basic D&D or a basic RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 112 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 19.4%

Wombat

First Post
When I got into the hobby, there were no basic versions of the game.

Out of my buddies, none of them started with a basic set of any kind -- they lept straight on in.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Yes, Basic D&D.

I should've given the answer of '10' in this thread, and the above (actual) answer in the other. Hehe, never mind. Next time. :)

dougmander

Explorer
Blue Box Set, 1977:
dnd_BasicRule_s.jpg

cholke

First Post
Blue Box. Seeing that cover just gave me the chills. It has been boxed up for way too long. Maybe when my son is a few years older, we will start with it...

dougmander

Explorer
mhensley said:
blue box for me

I've always loved basic much more than advanced. And the sample dungeon in the blue book will always be my fav.

Absolutely -- and that cross-section map of Skull Mountain with the subterranean domed city? Goosebumps, to this day. My dream is to write and illustrate the equivalent of a blue box set for 4e!

James Heard

Explorer
Well, I got the Basic & Expert D&D sets for Xmas when I was in 3rd grade but I didn't really have much to do with roleplaying except reading them until a year later when we moved and I discovered Traveller's little black books that I could buy one a week of with my allowance and plenty of people wanted to play (which makes some sense, since everyone's parents pretty much worked for the Air Force or NASA where I was at in Huntsville.

But really the whole thing can actually be blamed on Squad Leader, which kind of kicked the "games in boxes shaped like this are way cooler than Monopoly" notion in the first place. Wargames with my father used to be a really big deal, I suppose because it was an opportunity for him to steer me towards military history and perform an activity with me in his study surrounded by thousands of books that I inevitably read.

The Holmes ruleset for me too (same one Dougmander linked, except for me it was 1978).

We initially had to play from a photocopy of the rules that cost us some exorbitant sum like £5. Several of us clubbed together and chipped in our pocket money for that photocopy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads