Basic D&D Was Selling 600,000+/Year At One Point

Recently Ben Riggs shared some sales figures of AD&D 1st Edition. Now he has shared figures for...

Recently Ben Riggs shared some sales figures of AD&D 1st Edition. Now he has shared figures for Basic D&D from 1979-1995, and during the early 80s is was selling 500-700K copies per year.

Ben Riggs' book, Slaying the Dragon, which is a history of TSR-era D&D, comes out soon, and you can pre-order your copy now.

bdndyr.jpg

You can compare these figures to those of AD&D 1E in the same period. Basic D&D sold higher than AD&D's PHB and DMG combined for 4 years running, again in the early 80s.

anbd.jpg

If you take a look at the overall sales from 1979-1995, here are the two beside each other (again, this is just PHB and DMG, so it doesn't include the Monster Manual, Unearthed Arcana, etc.)

combo.jpg

More actual D&D sales numbers!

Below you will find the sales numbers of Basic D&D, and then two charts comparing those to the sales of AD&D 1st edition. For those who don’t know, early in its life, the tree of D&D was split in half. On the one side there was D&D, an RPG designed to bring beginners into the game. It was simpler, and didn’t try to have rules for everything.
On the other side there was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Gary Gygax’s attempt to throw a net around the world and then shove it into rulebooks. The game was so detailed that it provided rules on how Armor Class changed depending on what hand your PC held their shield in. (It may also have been an attempt to cut D&D co-creator Dave Arneson out of royalties…)

I am frankly shocked at how well Basic D&D sold. Having discovered AD&D 2nd edition in the 90s, I thought of “Dungeons & Dragons” as a sort of baby game of mashed peas and steamed potatoes. It was for people not ready for the full meal that was AD&D. (I have since learned how wrong I was to dismiss the beauty of what Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer, Cook, et al created for us in those wondrous BECMI boxed sets…)

I figured that Basic D&D was just a series of intro products, but over its lifetime, it actually outsold AD&D 1st edition. (Partly because 1st edition was replaced by 2nd edition in 1989. I’ll start rolling out the 2nd ed numbers tomorrow FYI.) These numbers would explain why in a 1980 Dragon article Gygax spoke of AD&D not being “abandoned.”
Still, between 1980 and 1984, Basic outsold AD&D. The strong numbers for Basic D&D prompt a few questions. Where was the strength of the brand? Were these two lines of products in competition with each other? Was one “real” D&D? And why did TSR stop supporting Basic D&D in the 90s?

The only one of those questions I will hazard is the last one. A source told me that because TSR CEO Lorraine Williams did not want to generate royalties for Gary Gygax or Dave Arneson, Basic D&D was left to wither on the vine.

I will also say this: TSR will die in 1997 of a thousand cuts, but the one underlying all of them was a failure of the company to grow its customer base. TSR wanted its D&D players to migrate over to AD&D, but what if they didn’t? What if they wanted to keep playing D&D, and TSR simply stopped making the product they wanted to buy? What if TSR walked away from what may have been hundreds of thousands of customers because of a sort of personal vendetta?

Tomorrow, I’ll post numbers for 2nd edition AD&D, and comparisons for it with Basic and 1st edition.

And if you don’t know, I have a book of D&D history coming out in a couple weeks. If you find me interesting, you can preorder in the first comment below!

Also, I'll post raw sales numbers below for the interested.

Zardnaar

Legend
Right. And how many creature catalogs were sold? How many magic item compendium were sold? We do not have these number either. Though I agree with you that these numbers about UA and such would be fine. A comparison must have some limits...

We had numbers for some this site had them.

The Acaeum

Big selling items were Element evil, KotBL, and 2-3 other Gary adventures.

Zardnaar

Legend
But they don't make up for the player base contracting: if new people aren't coming in, they don't replace people exiting the hobby really quickly.

I'm not claiming that though.

Context was from memory sales or revenue dipped 30% overall in 84. They were in trouble in 85.

Dragonlance and UA are often credited with saving the company as such until Lorraine bailed it out.

Remember they also reprinted ToEE 6 times including into 2E.

Also remember the novels outperformed D&D at some points and 84 Dragonlance happened and that's not reflected in the data provided.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I find that hard to believe. My personal experience is definitely skewed, but I just plain really doubt it, based on the relative availability that I've seen of the various books in 30 years of retailing them. It's true that I never sold 1e when it was new (unlike every D&D book from 1993 up). I know that 2e had a glut tactic that 1e wasn't as bad for, that could make the core 1e books have done better overall than 2e, but I'd be surprised if it was by that large a margin.
Every account I've heard is that 1E sold considerably better than 2E.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not claiming that though.

Context was from memory sales or revenue dipped 30% overall in 84. They were in trouble in 85.

Dragonlance and UA are often credited with saving the company as such until Lorraine bailed it out.

Remember they also reprinted ToEE 6 times including into 2E.
Prevented the lights from turning off only goes so far if the customer base contracts, long term, and they can't grow in normal stores. It doesn't look like they ever recovered from this blow, it was a slow drip death from there...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Every account I've heard is that 1E sold considerably better than 2E.
Oh, I believe that 1e sold overall better than 2e. What I find hard to believe is the idea that it doubled it. I guess it depends on what's being compared exactly. There very well might be a "year two" comparison where that is true (or something like that). Lifetime? I dunno. Do we count the black books? Or are those 2.5?

We played BECM up to 27th level until autumn 1985 then everyone went away to Uni, so that group and Uber campaign ended. Fabulous unrepeatable memories.
Hadn't really touched AD&D by then, played it and other things during those uni days.
I do recall the box sets being very affordable and very exciting when first perused.

Zardnaar

Legend
Prevented the lights from turning off only goes so far if the customer base contracts, long term, and they can't grow in normal stores. It doesn't look like they ever recovered from this blow, it was a slow drip death from there...

They could have though. TSR was never run well.

Things wax and wane with your logic if something isn't at its peak all the time it's a failure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They could have though. TSR was never run well.

Things wax and wane with your logic if something isn't at its peak all the time it's a failure.
Some things can remain consistently popular (Monopoly, Chess, etc), and D&D really is one of those things, if managed right.

This does go a long way to explain why TSR bent over backwards to not be threat to the BADD types moving forwards: they obliterated their business.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh, I believe that 1e sold overall better than 2e. What I find hard to believe is the idea that it doubled it. I guess it depends on what's being compared exactly. There very well might be a "year two" comparison where that is true (or something like that). Lifetime? I dunno. Do we count the black books? Or are those 2.5?

Depends who you talk to exact figures on early D&D isn't known.

I've seen figures of 1million+ through to 1.5 million for 1E, 2E highest I've seen is 750k with early sales of 280k (from Dancey).

Remove ads

Remove ads