• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Basic question - how many encounters per day

dave2008

Legend
basically 6-8 no less or a party can just nova through everything & take a rest before repeating. People saying that encounters can be other things than combat are right by RAW, but it screws up the balance badly & it's not just casters. Second wind, action surge, rage, lay on hands/smite, & many more have power scaled to the assumption that you absolutely will 100% be spreading them sparingly across 6-8 encounters not 100% of fewer encounters. It's a problem with 5e's design.
I haven't encountered these issues, even when we playing RAW, and we rarely have 6-8 encounters per day. We average about 3, but sometimes 1-2 and sometimes 4-6. When don't seem to have the nova issue some groups seem to have. Actually, it must have something to do with my DM style because I have never had that issue in 30 years of playing. I find if the PCs don't know what is coming next, they don't nova unless they are desperate. YMMV,

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Unless you are going to 6-8 encounters in a day then give the option for a short rest after a single harder encounter works well. It balances pretty well that way. Not perfectly but pretty well.

Do a comparison of the damages sometimes. You'll see.

Your last statement shows you are missing it.

It's explicitly not about damage. You can balance HP attrition and damage with fewer, mor deadly encounters. What it doesn't do it balance resources used. It's about having more left over.

Here's what I posted about that:
Now, in terms of balancing deadliness of encounters, that's what other posters have right. You can do more fewer, more deadly encounters and HP attrition works out. This is important and a big deal. But it's not the only part of this.

The half that doesn't get talked about is the balance of resource recovery models between primary long-rest, short rest, and at-will classes. Plus the hybrids like the barbarian.

Frankly, fewer encounters are a lot less resource intensive than more encounters.

Buffs like Rage or buff spells usually last for the whole encounter, regardless if it's a tougher one. Less resources used in fewer encounters. A barbarian with three rages who rages every encounter is good for all of them if there are 2-3 encounters per day, and half or less of them if there are 6-8 encounters per day.

Making encounters tougher requires either increasing the numbers of foes, increasing the deadliness of foes, or some combination. All of these allow casters to get more bang for the same spells slots.

If it's more foes, area effect spells catch more foes for the same spell slot. It's more efficient.

If it's more powerful foes, due to the nature of saves where a creature will likely have 3-4 bad saves (no proficiency, no superior ability score), while DCs keep going up both from proficiency and from advancing your casting ability score, it is just as easy to affect more powerful creatures as weaker ones as long as you pick a selection of spells to target various saves. So the same slot will now take out more powerful creatures with the same likelyhood. Again, more efficient per slot.

Basically, with how most people - myself included - play, unless we're doing dungeon crawls we're not reaching 6-8 encounters per day, much less exceeding it as often as we are coming under it. That changes the class balance towards the long-rest recovery classes like the casters. Also, extra resources at the end of the day tend to make things feel easier, leading to "easy mode" comments about 5e.

dave2008

Legend
Fewer tougher encounters rewards long rest recovery model classes a great deal.

I've explained it upthread, but people don't seem to get it viscerally until they run a few days of 6-8 encounters. Give it a try before dismissing it.
We typically have 3 encounters per day, but sometimes as low as 1 and as many as 6-7. We have not not noticed much difference in how we play. The big reason is my players never know how many encounters we have. So even if we only have one battle, the don't nova, because they don't know that it will be the only battle. To be honest, I don't even think my players think it is a thing.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I haven't encountered these issues, even when we playing RAW, and we rarely have 6-8 encounters per day. We average about 3, but sometimes 1-2 and sometimes 4-6. When don't seem to have the nova issue some groups seem to have. Actually, it must have something to do with my DM style because I have never had that issue in 30 years of playing. I find if the PCs don't know what is coming next, they don't nova unless they are desperate. YMMV,
Exactly, the uncertainty is what keeps the PCs from acting rashly. If they’ve figured out your pattern of course they’re going to nova each one. But if there is no pattern...

It‘s why I dislike the travel rules, 0 or 1 encounters is entirely too predictable.

Oofta

Legend
One thing I didn't mention above is that now and then I will broadcast that there's going to be one knock-down-drag-out fight for the day. Because it's kind of fun to go nova once in a while, especially at mid-to-high levels. Then I just throw wave after wave and let the casters have fun blowing them all up.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We typically have 3 encounters per day, but sometimes as low as 1 and as many as 6-7. We have not not noticed much difference in how we play. The big reason is my players never know how many encounters we have. So even if we only have one battle, the don't nova, because they don't know that it will be the only battle. To be honest, I don't even think my players think it is a thing.

If I may, this actually supports the point I was making. My point has nothing to do with nova-ing, and all about long-rest-recovery resources being more efficient when there are fewer, tougher encounters.

So your players don't nova - prematurely using them up - and yet regardless if you have 3, 1 or 6 they still have resources to do that. That's showing that the long rest resource classes are getting efficient use of their slots even when there are fewer, more dangerous encounters that they don't feel a need to nova.

Again, my point is not about the damage or deadliness side. It is solely about the resource usage side. They are two different topics.

Nebulous

Legend
basically 6-8 no less or a party can just nova through everything & take a rest before repeating. People saying that encounters can be other things than combat are right by RAW, but it screws up the balance badly & it's not just casters. Second wind, action surge, rage, lay on hands/smite, & many more have power scaled to the assumption that you absolutely will 100% be spreading them sparingly across 6-8 encounters not 100% of fewer encounters. It's a problem with 5e's design.
I agreed that it is a huge problem with 5e design and can really only be countered by the DM mucking with the rules enough to know how to fudge them. Even then I feel like the PCs often go into encounters way too strong and nova their way out and want to rinse, wash repeat. Now, I DO push them on, so running out of spell slots happens, but I swear they'll be 2 encounters in, depleted, and need to rest or they're screwed for the next encounters.

Remove ads