BATTLE OF THE BARDS - Heat 4!

In case anyone is wondering, my tune "Pistolero" is specifically a Pathfinder song. It's all about the Gunslinger class. Whee! :cool:

In case anyone is wondering, my tune "Pistolero" is specifically a Pathfinder song. It's all about the Gunslinger class. Whee! :cool:

Bardiclug

First Post
That said, I'd love to meet the rest of the contestants. Songwriting slam session in the RAM pub, anyone? :)

Heck yeah! My brother works GenCon most years (in the auction) and he's been after me to go - this would probably get me there. :)

Of course, we could always do songwriting challenges in another venue, like, this forum, or something. No travel costs that way. :)

Mary_Crowell

First Post
That said, I'd love to meet the rest of the contestants. Songwriting slam session in the RAM pub, anyone? :)

Lanefan

What is the RAM pub? I've been to GENCON only once in 2008, and my husband and I day-tripped there two days in a row. This coming year we are planning to go again. And we want to attend the entire time and actually stay in the room block and such.

I would love to meet you and the other song writers! I know Gary McGath, Scott Snyder, and S00J from various filk and general science fiction conventions.

Mary_Crowell

First Post
Heck yeah! My brother works GenCon most years (in the auction) and he's been after me to go - this would probably get me there. :)

Of course, we could always do songwriting challenges in another venue, like, this forum, or something. No travel costs that way. :)

I think you should go to GENCON! Then we can see each other TWICE in one year. Will I get to see Linda and/or Amanda too? At ConFlikt and/or Gencon?

And on another subject, I'd like to hear a Morrisey Brothers duet. Because 'Morrisey Brothers' sounds like a good band name,

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What is the RAM pub?
It's a pub (duh!) a block or two from the convention centre. In past years they've gone all-in on GenCon e.g. decorating the pub, producing a GenCon beer and mug, etc., and they let people game there.

There's another pub - Scotty's - that also really gets into GenCon, but I've never been there (well, more correctly, I've never had the patience to wait through the lineup).
I've been to GENCON only once in 2008, and my husband and I day-tripped there two days in a row. This coming year we are planning to go again. And we want to attend the entire time and actually stay in the room block and such.
The times I've been I've always made sure to arrive on Tuesday afternoon; that gives time to unpack, get the lay of the land, find out where things are, etc., and the pubs aren't that busy Tuesday. Wednesday there's lots of unofficial stuff to do (along with picking up badges which can wipe out the afternoon, though I hear it was much better in 2012); then Thursday to Sunday is go time.

And Monday, after a much-needed night's sleep, is go-home time.
I would love to meet you and the other song writers! I know Gary McGath, Scott Snyder, and S00J from various filk and general science fiction conventions.
I've never done a filk convention, mostly because until now I didn't realize such things existed.

Lan-"who has yet to make it to GenCon in an even-numbered year"-efan

Markn

First Post
I LOVE Typhena's Men. Great voice. Love the rolling R's. And the voice carries the song much more than the background instruments. I picture a bard in the world of D&D paying homage to this group of heroes which obviously was based off a campaign. I think it's epic! Great work! I think it epitomizes this contest IMHO.

cfx

First Post
I LOVE Typhena's Men. Great voice. Love the rolling R's. And the voice carries the song much more than the background instruments. I picture a bard in the world of D&D paying homage to this group of heroes which obviously was based off a campaign. I think it's epic! Great work! I think it epitomizes this contest IMHO.

This. It's got my vote for these very reasons. So 'authentic' rather than modern. But given my entry, I guess I'm a little biased toward this type of sound for this type of contest. :)

benjamin

Explorer
Glad people like my little song! :-D

It does come from our actual campaign... playing "Red hand of doom" which we REALLY LOVED...

The citizens of Brindol, wrote this song about the PCs at the conclusion of this wonderful module. The song describes actual details of the final battle for Brindol including, most notably, the decapitation of Typhena (by way of a “Game Mastery Critical Hit Deck Card”).

The party:
Thokk: Half-orc Barbarian
Narsk: Kobold Paladin
Koaltax: Kobold Druid
Jarad: Halfling Rogue

...and of course...
Typhena: Elven Arcane Archer

(The sounds at the start are made my RPG Sound App - Syrinscape).

tuxgeo

Adventurer

I also went for Typhena's Men* because of the vocal style. I'm still confused about whether that's ballad style or lament style; I'm guessing the former, but I'm no music student. It sure sounded bardic.

However, none of the songs in this round have stuck in my head: I'm still humming "Swing Beat" from last round. ("And heads are going to roll.")

* I may have to listen again more carefully. I thought I heard reference to "Red Hand" in the lyrics the first time through.I may have to recheck.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads