Battlegrounds: RPG Edition (virtual tabletop software)

Jupp

Explorer
Nice work as far as I can see. Say, is there a possibility to have the map window full screen on the client side? I plan to display the client map on a projector while having the DM client with all tool on the notebook monitor. Another feature I did not see is if I have the possibility to hand draw on the map. I have a Wacom tablet that I would like to use to draw in spell effects or other stuff. Preferrably it would be nice to be able to actually draw a map in Battlegrounds directly. Though that doesnt have to be too complex. A line drawing tool and a text input/placement features would be enough. That would be quite helpfull for those moments you have to wing a location :)

heruca

Explorer
Thanks, Jupp.

The Player Client and the GM Client can both display the map full screen. If you have two laptops networked together with an ethernet cable (or wireless), one for the GM and one for the players (hooked up to a projector), you'll have some sweet capabilities at your disposal in a face-to-face game session. What won't be possible in this initial release is to output both the GM and the Player's views from a single laptop/desktop.

The initial release will let you "paint" and erase only on the Fog of War layer, but in a future version I am planning to add a separate Drawing Layer (including text labeling tools) with which you'll be able to improvise quick maps (hopefully with cool texture fills, too). I will see if I can include tablet support, though you're the first person to mention this need.

I'd recommend using a specialized map-making tool like Dundjinni to create for yourself a series of reusable locations to have a small library at your disposal whenever you need to improvise an encounter. Those maps can be used as a starting point on which you can add furniture, trees, etc., to make the encounter feel more unique/customized. No one likes playing on the exact same map over and over.

I also hope and expect that the "User Creations" section of the Battlegrounds forums will serve as a good central repository of stock maps, figures, and props that people will upload to and share with the rest of the Battlegrounds community.

As for spell effects, you should know that you will have a wide selection of semi-transparent overlays in different sizes available for use. These arcs and circles will be provided both in standard and gridded mode (where the arc or radius of the overlay is already translated into discrete grid squares or hexes).

I hope this answers all your questions, and I encourage you to post other questions directly on the Battlegrounds forums (saves me from having to answer the same questions repeatedly on various sites).

Old One

First Post
heruca,

Alright...now I am getting a bit excited about this (in a good, non-sexual gamer way :p).

This looks pretty darn cool...especially the new screen shots. Please tell me this won't suck ;)...

Looking forward to more updates and the demo...

~ OO

Alisanos

First Post
What won't be possible in this initial release is to output both the GM and the Player's views from a single laptop/desktop.

Is there a plan to have this feature in a future release? I would love to see this feature in your software. The sooner the better.

heruca

Explorer
Actually, since I posted that I realized that this is possible even with the initial release. It requires that both the GM Client and the Player Client be installed on the computer. The GM Client hosts a game, and the Player Client connects to it, just as if it were on another computer on the network.

Last edited:

schporto

First Post
Heruca,
I just wanted to let you know that my wife has approved my purchase of your software. Well, as soon as it is realeased that is ;).
But I'll throw in one question (you've answered what I've posted on your boards).
Does the fog of war know about walls?
-cpd

heruca

Explorer
Glad to hear it, schporto. :)

Your question is actually answered on the BRPG site already, but I'll post the info here in case anyone else is interested.

FOG OF WAR:
It's a given that the GM is able to show or hide figures and props at will (eg, traps and secret doors). But the Fog of War feature in BRPG goes well beyond this. Each figure on the map can be assigned a light source (be it a candle, torch, lantern, flashlight, or a night vision device or ability). Every type of light source gives off a different range of visibility, specified either by the GM or by the RPG game system's rules. The program uses this information to automatically reveal what each character can see at any time, and blacking out everything on the map outside of their light radius. This means that each player will only see what his or her character can see, and also means that each player will get a slightly different view of the map, depending on where they're standing. This makes for creepy situations, when someone gets stranded in the dark! On top of all this, the GM can also manually mask off certain areas of the map, to keep them from being revealed until the right time. For example, the players shouldn't be able to see into a room until they've opened the door, even if they have a light source handy. With BRPG, you can do that. Oh, and props can have a light radius, too, so a campfire or a row of torch sconces placed along a corridor can light the way. Cool, huh? This kind of thing just can't be done in a traditional pen and paper gaming environment. So even GMs who never plan to play online can make good use of BRPG in their face-to-face game sessions. Fog of War is very useful in nighttime and indoor Encounters, but if the Encounter takes place on an outdoor map in daytime, the GM can just turn Fog of War off.

This masking feature would also be useful to represent the effects of a Darkness spell, for example.

By the way, did you register on my forums under a different username? I don't see a schporto there.

Remove ads