• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlemind, Seeker, and Runepriest

Riastlin

First Post
So Battleminds need an MBA.

Give Seekers Expert Archery in addition to his At-Wills?

Find a way to give Rune Priests better healing?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Honestly, I think the runepriest's healing is fine considering his damage level and buff levels (which are pretty high). The reduced healing balances the class out.

To make the runepriest more enticing though you might want to try to improve the rune feats as suggested above, or find some way to make it a little less fiddly.

Unwise

Adventurer
Is Expert Archery the one with the slide/prone/slow? If so, I would not give that to the seeker, as really there would be little point to the hunter at that stage. I really feel like the Hunter has replaced the Seeker for the most part.

SpydersWebbing

First Post
I don't own Essentials, and have no intention of buying. What I'm doing is literally modifying my own books to make the classes more palatable, so getting rid of the Seeker in favor of the Hunter would be counterproductive.

For those of you who are wondering, yes my books are very marked up. MAD classes have been made single stat and buffed, Essentials fixes (such as the Rogue's greater chance at Sneak Attack) have been added in, things like that. Modifying what existed before is my goal.

twilsemail

First Post
I think that, in the least, adding Clever Shot to the Seeker's arsenal would work wonders for the class.

At-Will*Martial
Standard Action Personal
Effect: Make a RBA with a weapon. If the attack hits, also apply one of the following effects:
-Slide the target up to 2 squares
-Target falls prone
-Target is slowed (save ends)

bganon

Explorer
Make the above Clever Shot usable as an RBA, and you've got a pretty strong Bloodbond Seeker.

Spiritbond Seekers really badly need a free proficiency in some decent weapon. They don't even get handaxes out of the box. They might need help beyond that, but I've never played one.

I think Battleminds are mostly OK, aside from the aforementioned MBA sucktitude. Giving them a basic Con-based OA would be a pretty minor thing and would already improve things quite a bit; I'm not sure if they really need a full MBA.

Runepriests mostly need nice class feats that aren't rune feats. Some more power selection wouldn't hurt, either, but the class is unfortunately difficult to extend because of the way runestates work. Every new power needs to support destruction/protection, and it's hard to add a new state without rewriting the class. For example, even the paragon path states in PH3 mostly suck because class powers don't support them. Rune states were a neat idea but the implementation makes expanding the class a huge pain.

twilsemail

First Post
[MENTION=60886]bganon[/MENTION], you may want to read the power again. The power says to use an RBA. How would that then be more useful if it was an RBA? It doesn't even have an attack roll. You make an RBA (in the seeker's case, something like Grappling Spirits) and add a second effect.

Quickleaf

Legend
I played a Seeker at 8th and 9th level, then switched to a Seeker/Ranger hybrid at 10th, and finally a Hunter Ranger at 11th.

What struck me as the main schtick of the seeker was "arrows flying everywhere." Really the class needs more powers that focus on that schtick, but as far as quick fixes go here are a few:

* Add all ranger powers which grant RBAs to the seeker list (mostly these are daily powers).

* Make all at-wills useable as RBAs.

* Increase damage of any 'soft control' powers by at least x2.

* Allow the seeker to make magic ammunition akin to the assassin, so maybe 1 free arrow (of equal or lesser level) per extended rest.

bganon

Explorer
[MENTION=60886]bganon[/MENTION], you may want to read the power again. The power says to use an RBA. How would that then be more useful if it was an RBA? It doesn't even have an attack roll. You make an RBA (in the seeker's case, something like Grappling Spirits) and add a second effect.

I was thinking of the interaction with Inevitable Shot, actually. As you wrote it, you can't use Clever Shot for your Inevitable Shot, because IS calls for an RBA and Clever Shot isn't itself a "use as RBA" power. I thought it would be nice to have Clever Shot also work as a way to make Inevitable Shot more distinctive, as right now its just a bland consolation prize unless you specifically take a "use as RBA" power.

Of course, with my suggested change you could then technically get crazy combos like IS->Clever Shot->Mischief Spirits, and therefore stack controller effects on the extra attack. I'm not sure this would be a bad thing, though.

jbear

First Post
Another Seeker Issue: The At Wills are horrible. And so many of their powers are poison powers, which is the worst damage type in the game.

Runepriest: Need more feats

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads