D&D 5E Beastmaster's animal companion: can it survive for 2 rounds?

Gargoyle

Adventurer
My response was originally to epochrpg's post in which he stated that a ranger's companion should be durable. The only way to get that sort of idea is if that had been the case in the past, otherwise we wouldn't have any notion of what animal companions should be like. Therefore, I responded by saying that the companions are just as tough as they have always been, countering his point. This is perfectly relevant to the OP's title "Can it survive for 2 rounds?" which, yes, indeed it can.

However, I note that you have not responded to any of the other points that I posted. Therefore, I have to assume you have nothing else to discuss, and wish to continue nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. I will not respond to that again, so have a good day.

I have to agree with Jadrax, and feel that your points seem irrelevant to anyone who feels that an animal companion in 5e should be more durable. To someone interested in a viable animal companion in 5e it doesn't matter what was in earlier editions. What matters is how it works within 5e. If you're of the opinion that they are durable enough, that's fine, but the sole argument of "that's how it worked in the past" doesn't really fly, regardless of whether you think they're ok or not in 5e. I do think it is relevant to the thread; looking at older editions is part of the picture, but I don't think it's the most important thing.

I have to agree with Jadrax, and feel that your points seem irrelevant to anyone who feels that an animal companion in 5e should be more durable. To someone interested in a viable animal companion in 5e it doesn't matter what was in earlier editions. What matters is how it works within 5e. If you're of the opinion that they are durable enough, that's fine, but the sole argument of "that's how it worked in the past" doesn't really fly, regardless of whether you think they're ok or not in 5e. I do think it is relevant to the thread; looking at older editions is part of the picture, but I don't think it's the most important thing.

Fortunately that's not my only point but I understand what you guys are saying. My response was solely based on a single post, and was actually a question that wasn't answered. I think my problem is that of faith: I believe that with thousands of hours of playtesting, the designers understood the limitations and benefits of this feature better than any of us do right now without having played a ranger very much at all. My posts and the other thread I've started, have been attempts at putting those ideas in a strict, mathematical light so as to be more easily seen. I guess time will tell if the animal companion will be useful or not, but my money is on the former based on what I've seen.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I can see some tweaks being made on the defense side, and if its too strong than a downgrade to the offense would be fine to me.

I would much rather have a durable companion that doesn't suck up all of my healing (so more hitpoints but also better AC, and maybe evasion), than a glass cannon.

The average party member has a d8 HD, and I would wager a 14 con, so roughly 6-7 hp per level.

so maybe ranger level x 6 in hp, prof bonus to AC and attacks, but not to damage...or something of that nature.

THis plus the ability to act independently to defend its own life when you don't tell it to spelled out in the rules. Like "unless directed or attacked, animals always take the Dodge Action; if they are attacked, the GM may have them attack in retaliation or withdraw" You can use your action to have them attack another target, aid, etc. as per normal.

CapnZapp

Legend
Here is my take on Animal Companions for your consideration. Design comments in next post.

Natural Companion: Your Animal Companion follows the same rules as for Controlling a Mount, PHB page 198.

Companion Bond (Level 4): Starting at 4th level, you gain direct and precise control over your Animal Companion. While the bond is active and your companion is within hearing distance, you can use a bonus action to verbally command the beast to take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Healing Surge or Help action on its turn. You must postpone your Extra Attack from level 5 until level 10 in order to gain this feature.

Empathic Link: When within a mile of you, you continuously sense the direction to, and the emotions of, your beast. If your Companion Bond is active, you can also telepathically call it to your side. This makes it travel at top speed until it reaches your spot.

Sturdy Companion: An Animal Companion with no flying speed gets 6 hit points per level of its master, not 4. If the Healing Surge option is used, Animal Companions get one d8 HD per level of its master.

The Beast With Seven Lives: Whenever an Animal Companion is brought to 0 hp, the Companion Bond is temporarily broken, and the beast will disengage from combat and flee to a safe place or cower beneath its master. While it does not become unconscious, it can still die normally from failed death saves etc.

The only way to restore the bond is by restoring the beast to half maximum hit points or more. As soon as it is not bloodied, the bond to the master instantly reforms and his or her ability to control and call the animal companion is returned.

Exceptional Training (Level 7): Your Animal Companion have advantage on one ability check, skill check or saving throw each turn. Alternatively, it can impose disadvantage on one saving throw it forces a target to make each turn.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Any Animal Companion feature must work the way players expect them to. Having to give up your action to have your beast act is completely unacceptable, game balance be damned. Hence, Natural Companion and Companion Bond.
(Sorry Ari, but solving the problems Beast Masters get with TWF isn't a pressing concern for me: simply choose to play a Hunter if you want twin scimitars. The bonus action is the natural fit for the design feature; any workaround isn't worth it IMO)

Animal Companions are meant to be used in melee combat and needs to be built that way. Hence, Sturdy Companion and The Beast With Seven Lives.

The discussion tells me Animal Companions need better survivability from spells. Also, that any special attacks need improvement. My replacement Exceptional Training is the response to that - it allows the beast to make one save with advantage or to force its target to make its save with disadvantage. Not to mention all other sorts of utility.

Finally, Emphatic Link. I am of the opinion something like this is expected of the subclass. I designed my feature as something relatively minor, mostly aimed to assist role-playing and immersion. (It doesn't replicate the awesome scouting abilities of wizard familiars, for instance)

Thoughts?

CapnZapp

Last edited:

Remove ads