D&D 4E Beginner's Primer for 4e Antagonists

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguerouge

First Post
This thread is designed to catch up those gamers who have NOT been following the release of this edition of the game. They're probably a lot like me, hitting the snooze button and saying "Wake me when there's a book out." Now we're getting close to that point and we're way behind.

Posters to this thread should post with the idea of ONLY advocating AGAINST 4th edition and detailing common arguments about the system's flaws. I have started a twin thread, "Beginner's Primer for 4e Advocates," for those who wish to catch up gamers new to the edition on arguments FOR the system and its strengths.

The goal of this thread is NOT TO DEBATE the merits or demerits of various rules and possibilities of the system. Every other thread on this board is for that purpose. IF YOU DISAGREE with a poster on this thread and want to put up an argument stating that what they like is in fact an argument FOR 4th edition go to that thread, please.

The goal of these two threads is to provide a community service to those who don't want to sort through hundreds of posts on dozens of different threads.

Note: If you want to argue a third path for GURPS, MMPORGs, or twiddling one's thumbs, please start a third thread for that purpose.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
So, let me get this straight: this thread is just for angry grognards to bitch and moan in? And your other thread is for f4nboys to freak out with glee in? If that's the case, can we call a generalized moratorium on these activities in every other thread on the boards?

hong

WotC's bitch
D00d, I disappeared from the boards for 3 months while being consumed by Guild Wars and a new job. It didn't take me long at all to catch up with the 4E vibe. Just read the threads and the 4E info page and form your own opinion.

roguerouge

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
So, let me get this straight: this thread is just for angry grognards to bitch and moan in? And your other thread is for f4nboys to freak out with glee in? If that's the case, can we call a generalized moratorium on these activities in every other thread on the boards?

No... The point is to give people new to this board a convenient place for people new to this board a place to catch up conveniently SO THAT they can participate in an informed and intelligent manner in future discussion threads.

Think of it as "Previously, on Enworld's 4th edition board...."

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
roguerouge said:
No... The point is to give people new to this board a convenient place for people new to this board a place to catch up conveniently SO THAT they can participate in an informed and intelligent manner in future discussion threads.

Think of it as "Previously, on Enworld's 4th edition board...."
As Hong points out, we already have that functionality.

Sonny

Adventurer
This thread is just a bad idea, and should likely be closed before it has a chance to start sprouting flame wars. Nothing against you roguerogue, it just seems like it's not gonna be the thread you want, without attracting a lot of arguments and bad feelings.

roguerouge

First Post
The 4e information page carries the hard data of the updates to the system. I will be reading those pages.

This thread, however, is for people to make their basic pitches to newcomers to the site for their INTERPRETATIONS of what that data will actually mean. The data on the system doesn't speak for itself.

On other threads, for example, I've seen partial arguments about simulationist vs. gamist approaches, but I lack a full understanding of what those terms mean as they apply to this edition. The 4e information page tells newcomers about new rules for dying; this thread would provide a base for new comers about what people here think that will do to the narrative and the game experience. Same deal for healing and combat tactics and on and on.

I'd be surprised and a bit saddened if people on Enworld couldn't make cogent arguments for new-comers. Mentoring's usually a strength around here.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
roguerouge said:
The 4e information page carries the hard data of the updates to the system. I will be reading those pages.

This thread, however, is for people to make their basic pitches to newcomers to the site for their INTERPRETATIONS of what that data will actually mean. The data on the system doesn't speak for itself.

On other threads, for example, I've seen partial arguments about simulationist vs. gamist approaches, but I lack a full understanding of what those terms mean as they apply to this edition.
This is hardly unexpected: they don't seem to have a fixed meaning between posters, or even between posts.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Sorry, Roguerogue. This a train wreck that just hasn't occurred yet. People who want information should go to the aforementioned 4e info page. People who want to discuss that information - both pro and con - have a plethora of threads to do it in.

Thread closed.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads