Beholder tactics: Standard actions & flyby attacks

NewJeffCT

First Post
well, a few battles ago, the PCs were up against a lich/archmage and I gave the lich a ring of positive energy protection that I completely forgot about... the party rogue flew above the lich & held his action. I figured he was going to try a sneak attack or similar once another party member closed. However, when the lich started casting (Otto's Irresistable Dance to target a party caster), he used his held action to pour a maximized potion of cure serious wounds onto the lich for 39 points of positive energy damage. So, the lich promptly failed its DC: 54 concentration check & lost the spell. It should have been zero points of damage and one party caster would have had to take their action to dispel the Otto's on the other caster. Instead, they both were able to target the lich with their own dispel magics and slowly debuff it...

Jhaelen

First Post
Wow, a very cool idea, using a healing potion like that - although it's not strictly possible by RAW (potions having to be imbibed) I definitely would have allowed it to work :)

And, yeah, I guess, we hardly had any combat where every rule was remembered and applied correctly. Doesn't really matter though, as long as it's fun for everyone involved.

It _is_ a bit annoying if forgetting an important bit makes a combat way easier than it should have been, though. But, hey, my players certainly don't mind ;)

Zorku

First Post
Depending on how much soft tissue he has left the lich having potion poured on him might be indistinguishable from him imbibing it.

Remove ads