• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beholder's Central Eye: Problems and Alternatives

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I appreciate everyone's feedback. It may be that I am over thinking this and underestimating my players. I haven't run a beholder encounter before, but have always wanted to and finally have a chance. But at the same time, my group tends to run on the more powerful end of the spectrum given their magic items and boons granted to them by various feats in game.

Additionally, the Beholder's lair is set up using suggestions from Volo's. The beholder is super paranoid, and designed his lair specifically to impede those that cannot fly. Additionally, the beholder prefers undead spirits (but its not a death tyrant) as guards due to the Beholder's ability to more easily control them (specifically shadows and spectres) without possibility of revolt or rebellion. So using movement to get out of the antimagic field will be more difficult than in other situations, and there is already a lot there to challenge the players without takinh away their magic. I am looking for this to be a fair but challenging and fun encounter.

That said, I have a lot of idea to ponder. Have any of you run beholders before? What did you like or would you do differently?

Based on the reaction when the PHB first came out, the thing that players fear the most was the Wild Magic Sorcerer. So how about instead of an antimagic field, a wild magic field? Any 1st level or higher spell cast inside the field triggers a roll on the Wild Magic table.

MarkB

Legend
Based on the reaction when the PHB first came out, the thing that players fear the most was the Wild Magic Sorcerer. So how about instead of an antimagic field, a wild magic field? Any 1st level or higher spell cast inside the field triggers a roll on the Wild Magic table.

I was about to suggest the same thing. Characterise the beholder as being so infused with magic that it spills out randomly through its gaze, causing random effects whenever magic is used.

Maybe include any magic, not just spells. Magic-based class features, magic items, the beholder's own eye rays - anything that manifests an active effect within the field triggers a wild magic surge.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Cone of Spacial Warping

This Beholder's Eye creates a field of warped and folded space. Vision is distorted as is the path of anything moving in the field.

All ranged attacks (spell or weapon) within the cone require a save (Wis probably since that's what Perception keys off).

On a failed save, the attack targets a random different target, as it's path of movement and line of sight warps unexpectedly.

Moving through the cone ALSO requires a save. On a failed save the character moves at an angle to their intended path, as determined by the DM.

I also support the Wild Magic Cone idea. I liked that one a lot.

Remove ads