Beholders, Mind Flayers, and Strahd von Zarovich Released Into Creative Commons (Kinda)

In the 5.1 SRD that just got released into the Creative Commons is a bunch of IP including Count Strahd von Zarovich, the Feywild, the Shadowfell, the City of Brass, Palace of Dispater, Street of Steel, Gate of Ashes, and the Sea of Fire. The beholder is also specifically referenced by name in the Deck of Illusions, and Mind Flayers and Slaad are also referenced--at least by name--repeatedly...

th-2651574302.jpg

In the 5.1 SRD that just got released into the Creative Commons is a bunch of IP including Count Strahd von Zarovich, the Feywild, the Shadowfell, the City of Brass, Palace of Dispater, Street of Steel, Gate of Ashes, and the Sea of Fire. The beholder is also specifically referenced by name in the Deck of Illusions, and Mind Flayers and Slaad are also referenced--at least by name--repeatedly in the document.

Here's a link to the content released to CC.

What does that mean? Under OGL v1.0a terms like this were generally designated as ‘Product Identity’ and were unavailable for use. The CC license has no such provision. This means that those using the OGL cannot (still) use terms designated as PI, but those using the CC can use the full content of the document released under it.

Only the names of these creatures and places are contained in the document--so you can't use Strahd's image or stat block or description, nor can you use those of the beholder, etc. But it does appear that you can refer to these items.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So essentially what this allows is for you to use say various core D&D gods, for example, in any D&D (and maybe Pathfinder(?)) setting you make, with no fear of legal action? Like their names and everything?
Not exactly. People are taking things a bit out of context. The actual text on the page of the CC SRD is what is now released under CC. So that there's a character called Strahd is CC, that he's a Count and a vampire are also CC, but nothing that is not actual text on the page of the SRD is CC. So nothing about Barovia, nothing about Ravenloft, etc.

Are the names of the D&D gods in the SRD? Then they're now CC. Is the lore of those gods in the SRD? Now they're CC.

The exception being trademark. It doesn't matter if they're in the CC SRD if they're already trademarked. They're covered and not usable is specific ways.

Plokman

Explorer
So essentially what this allows is for you to use say various core D&D gods, for example, in any D&D (and maybe Pathfinder(?)) setting you make, with no fear of legal action? Like their names and everything?
I would try to have a setting akin to Monty Glue's setting of Alavast. But my one rule is there is a Above All one who can control even Phlogestum (did I spell that right? You know the stuff between Crystal Spheres) jus my head canon.

Could we see Strahad as a character in a Disney cartoon?

We shouldn't worry about the beholders. There are some "clon" or ersatz in some videogame with the name "gazer".

There was a "octopus-face" creature in one of the episodes of "Grimm".

Do you think Mattel would dare to sell toys of slaads?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's great for OSR folks especially, I think, as they don't have to work around the 'Product Identity' restrictions any more, and can even have simple OD&D style 1 line stats for mind flayers in their dungeons.
And here I just finished renaming and disguising the Yuan-Ti in the adventures I'm writing...oh, well. :)

Any word on whether Displacer Beast is open now? That's a harder creature to disguise as something else.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
And here I just finished renaming and disguising the Yuan-Ti in the adventures I'm writing...oh, well. :)

Any word on whether Displacer Beast is open now? That's a harder creature to disguise as something else.
The Coeurl is still protected, but Paizo was able to license it back in 3.5. Kamadans are Open Content, though, thanks to the Tome of Horrors.

teitan

Legend
Definitely not. Trademarks are still protected.

Remove ads

Remove ads