D&D 5E Being The Best D&D Player You Can Be

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
9. Be Attentive - Listening to the DM's narrative is a sign of respect as well as showing a commitment to the game you are playing. Sometimes being attentive can be challenging like playing in a convention where your game is in the same room as other games and it is hard to hear but at least try. For me, nothing is more annoying as a DM is watching players constantly looking at their phones, talking to others, etc then ask questions about something I already described in the narrative.

Barring some sort of disorder, I generally see this issue as a symptom of some work that needs to be done on the game or the running thereof.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Great list for op.

One thing I really like is that each player realize he/she isn't the only one playing. Be conscious that others want spot light time too and help to make that happen (or at least allow for it to happen by not trying to monopolize the DMs attention). In a way, I want players to take a turn and pass off to someone else to help keep the flow/game moving and insure that everyone gets nearly equal time.

Although I don't force players to always use "Yes, and..." when dealing with other players and their ideas, the game works so much better when all players really play off each other in a positive way rather than trying to block or frustrate other attempts to do cool things.

S

Sunseeker

12: Don't be Afraid of Change: This is a take off of 6 but more directed at players: We all come to the table with an idea or character and more often than not it is a precious, sacred idea that we cherish and do not wish to see harmed. It can be very easy to fall into being "quest-averse" for fear of character change (not even just death, but character growth, physical and mental) and to the point where it is upsetting or seen as adversarial when *stuff* happens to your character. Come prepared to roll with the changes, be willing to allow your character to move in new and unique directions! You might just find the result more exciting than the start!

13: Be Firm: Know what you enjoy. Know what you don't enjoy. Know what kind of game you will tolerate and what kind you won't. Don't be afraid to say you're not interested, or to suggest something else. Be willing to find common ground, but don't sacrifice what you love or suffer through what you hate for fear of social rejection. The other players may agree with you, or may have no idea that you felt that way, or even disagree! But they'll never know unless you're willing to take a stand.

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
14: Buy What the DM is selling: Others have made a similar point, but this is how I phrase it. Do I want to play Curse of Strahd? No, I don't like vampires and I don't like Ravenloft (though Tracey Hickman is a cool guy). Do I want to play Curse of Strahd as the Scooby Doo gang? Oh, heck yes. That sounds FUN!

Come to the table with an open mind for a character. Don't come to the table insisting on playing Race/Class. It shows disrespect for the world and adventure the DM is presenting. Listen to the DM's pitch and either buy in or politely decline.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Come to the table with an open mind for a character.
Agreed.
Don't come to the table insisting on playing Race/Class. It shows disrespect for the world and adventure the DM is presenting. Listen to the DM's pitch and either buy in or politely decline.
Or, if you're in a situation where there aren't really any other options (e.g. it's a small town and this may well be the only gaming group in it) and you're not entirely on board with what's being pitched, throw some ideas at the DM that could bring the pitch more toward what you're really after, and see if any stick. If some do, then you might not end up declining after all. :)

happyhermit

Adventurer
One of the biggest things to avoid IME (I have rarely seen this in games I've been in, but it has come up a fair bit in games I've watched/listened to) is agreeing to play something (system/setting/premise/PC/type of game) that you don't want to play and then being a wet blanket for everyone else. It is infuriating to see one person ruining everyone else's fun. Granted this is more "How not to be the worst player", but it's what comes to mind lately.

Oh, and if you are playing 5e get yourself 2 d20s and roll them both at the same time if you have adv/dis. Gaah!

corwyn77

Adventurer
One of the biggest things to avoid IME (I have rarely seen this in games I've been in, but it has come up a fair bit in games I've watched/listened to) is agreeing to play something (system/setting/premise/PC/type of game) that you don't want to play and then being a wet blanket for everyone else. It is infuriating to see one person ruining everyone else's fun. Granted this is more "How not to be the worst player", but it's what comes to mind lately.

Oh, and if you are playing 5e get yourself 2 d20s and roll them both at the same time if you have adv/dis. Gaah!

More specifically, bring enough dice for everything you do; If you're a Wizard, 1d6 is probably not going to cut it. We have an Assassin I play with that only has 3d6 and is pretty bad with numbers so it's roll 3d...roll...

As a DM, seeing that a player is excited to play, to see what happens next, and to contribute to the game definitely amps me up to try even harder at making it an awesome experience. I also find that that sort of “all-in” behavior encourages the other players as well.

Knowing your character and the rules that apply to them also goes a long way. It doubly drags when a DM has to double-check the player’s knowledge because something sounds off, or the player doesn’t even know what to do when their turn comes up.

I’ll also add what should be obvious, but you know, for some players it just isn’t: DON’T CHEAT! The dice give and the dice take. That’s the game part of things. It’s a drag when the dice hate you, because sometimes they clearly must, but then they go and give you that nat 20 when you need it the most. Fudging your dice rolls invalidates whatever victories you get, ultimately.

4. Be Enthusiastic: Bring positive energy to the table. Be well-rested and engaged in the game. This is one I can improve on - I sometimes come to the table pretty tired from work.

happyhermit

Adventurer
More specifically, bring enough dice for everything you do; If you're a Wizard, 1d6 is probably not going to cut it. We have an Assassin I play with that only has 3d6 and is pretty bad with numbers so it's roll 3d...roll...

That would be awesome but I don't dream that big anymore :hmm: . I have a ton of dice to give to players and even some specific ones for bardic inspiration and such but yeah when I watch LPs I often see them rolling 1d6 at a time, often having to pause and consider the math or how many times they rolled so far, ugh. I love dice and think that 5e did a good job of incorporating them in interesting ways, if you are going to be rolling physical dice do so in a way that makes sense. Adv/dis is the worst, maybe Wotc should have put 2d20 in the starter set, I actually like having 1 obviously different die but perhaps it's people being so in love with their "sets" that they don't want to mix and match. What other reason for some of these highly produced LPs to spend tons of time and money on so many details and yet not have logical numbers of dice. Maybe they need to make "sneak attack" packs of dice or something for people who care about that sort of thing, I would probably buy some custom labeled dice, not because I need them.

Remove ads