• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Berbalang Nonsense

interwyrm

First Post
When the berbalang manifests a duplicate, it loses 1/4 of its current hitpoints, and the duplicate appears with that amount.

The berbalang can't use this ability while bloodied.

The berbalang can have no more than 4 duplicates.

Under the tactics... it says it might spawn a third or 4th duplicate in the first round. How is it going to do that when after two duplicates it becomes bloodied?

Stormtalon

First Post
Don't have my MM handy at the moment, but it depends on if the Berbalang has an odd number of hitpoints to start with. If it does, there's no problem. After he splits off two duplicates, he's still at 1 HP above bloodied (due to rounding). Then he splits off a 3rd which now MAKES him bloodied, but as he wasn't when he initiated the split, it was ok. There are now 4 Berbalangs running around, 3 with 1/4 of the original's HP, one with 1/4+1 (accounting for rounding). The wording is a bit off, I admit, but the "can't have more than 4 duplicates" appears to include the original Berbalang in the count.

Boarstorm

First Post
I'm going to go with: It has a number of healers in the background with cure light wounds equivalents?

Ok, yeah, that's stretching.

It doesn't. The tactics section is in error, is my guess.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Current hp? Well, no problem for the 3rd duplicate then but a 4th is not possible (without outside assistance):

Starting hp: 408 (bloodied: 204)
hp after 1 duplicate: 408 - 102 = 306
hp after 2 duplicates: 306 - 76 = 230
hp after 3 duplicates: 230 - 57 = 173 (and bloodied)

Shabe

First Post
When the berbalang manifests a duplicate, it loses 1/4 of its current hitpoints, and the duplicate appears with that amount.

The berbalang can't use this ability while bloodied.

The berbalang can have no more than 4 duplicates.

Under the tactics... it says it might spawn a third or 4th duplicate in the first round. How is it going to do that when after two duplicates it becomes bloodied?

I haven't got a MM on me but it says current hit points.
So say it had 100 hp

100 1 duplicate = 75
75 2 duplicates = 56
56 3 duplicates = 42

Second question does it have any healing powers, because this may enable it to make more.
3rd it might have prepared itself and use a healing surge or 2 before hand after it had duplicated itself, how long do the duplicates last?

Ark Evensong

First Post
(Was going to mention the "¼ of current HP" thing, too, but I type too slow ... )

Huh ... the Berbalang Tactics section seems to include the original in the counting as well ...
MM said:
A surprised berbalang uses summon duplicate at the start of battle, and if faced with several opponents, it might spawn a third or a fourth duplicate using its initial standard and move actions as well.

-Ark Evensong, hoping the copyright lawyers stay away from him.

interwyrm

First Post
Current hp? Well, no problem for the 3rd duplicate then but a 4th is not possible (without outside assistance):

Starting hp: 408 (bloodied: 204)
hp after 1 duplicate: 408 - 102 = 306
hp after 2 duplicates: 306 - 76 = 230
hp after 3 duplicates: 230 - 57 = 173 (and bloodied)

Thanks... I forgot to take into account "current" hp.

I am pretty certain by 4 duplicates they meant one original + 3 duplicates.

Oompa

First Post
Wouldnt it be:

Normal hp 100 splits now 75 and 25 (bloodied @ 37 and 12)
Normal hp 75 splits now 50 and 25 and 25 (bloodied @ 37 and 12 and 12)
Normal hp 50 splits now 25 and 25 and 25 and 25 (bloodied @ 12 and 12 and 12 and 12)

??

A. Smith

First Post
No, as it is 25% of the current HP. If a Berbalang has 90 and no duplicate (he was attacked in a surprise round, for instance), 25% of his current HP is 22.5. Note current. Other spawns act in the same way as normal damage.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads