D&D 5E Berserker is balanced with Zealot without exhaustion from Frenzy

G

Guest 6801328

I'll admit that I stay away from the Berzerker because of that exhaustion gimmick it has on Frenzy. Ancestral Guardian is my fave Barbarian subclass.

Have you tried it and been disappointed/frustrated, or have you just not tried it?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I mean at 3rd level a Barbarian can rage 3 times, meaning you could Frenzy 3 times. Each time you use Frenzy, not only do you make yourself weaker, but you impact the whole party. How frustrated would the party be when you are consistently moving at half speed, suck at Athletics checks you're supposed to have advantage on, and have to attack recklessly just to negate your exhaustion? It's one thing if the penalty only affected the barbarian. But by making the barbarian incrementally weaker in a way that can last multiple adventuring days, you are also making everything harder on your group. D&D is a team game. So those choices to accept exhaustion don't just impact you.

I don't exactly have fun when I'm playing with someone who needs to be carried (literally at times) and can't do the job they are supposed to. If you're a tank, and you can't tank without negating your tankiness, you suddenly have the power to unilaterally decide for the group if everyone has to play on hard mode.

Last edited:

Plus think of it this way: Imagine if your the BBEG, and you ONLY have one spell slot left to charm/command the Barbarian against the party, and it turns out you accidently targeted the Barbarian who just 5 points of Frenzy Exhaustion into uselessness.

It's a sad time for all!

Remove ads