Besides D&D, what are you playing?

hawkeyefan

Legend
So some of my players have agreed to do a play by post game of Blades in the Dark through Discord. I’ve played a bit in PBP games and i think Blades is a good match for that format.

We decided to try out the playtest material to play Bluecoats. So instead of playing a crew of scoundrels, they’re playing a unit of cops.

So of course they’ve been assembled to take down a gang that’s recently risen to power in Nightmarket....the crew of PC scoundrels from our first Blades campaign.

I thought that might be a fun idea and the players were all into it. So we’ve made characters and set things up, and we’ll be starting soon.

So some of my players have agreed to do a play by post game of Blades in the Dark through Discord. I’ve played a bit in PBP games and i think Blades is a good match for that format.

We decided to try out the playtest material to play Bluecoats. So instead of playing a crew of scoundrels, they’re playing a unit of cops.

So of course they’ve been assembled to take down a gang that’s recently risen to power in Nightmarket....the crew of PC scoundrels from our first Blades campaign.

I thought that might be a fun idea and the players were all into it. So we’ve made characters and set things up, and we’ll be starting soon.

Oh, is this the Flame Without Shadow setting, with new technologies and all that?

Colour me interested in your exploits, especially since my Blades group is skipping this week due to the Eid holiday in Malaysia...

hawkeyefan

Legend
Oh, is this the Flame Without Shadow setting, with new technologies and all that?

Colour me interested in your exploits, especially since my Blades group is skipping this week due to the Eid holiday in Malaysia...

Yes, it’s the Flame Without Shadow playset that was recently released on the Blades in the Dark website. I think it may have already been available to the original Kickstarter backers in some format, but I could be wrong.

The playset does mention a few new technologies, and that when the actual book is released, they’ll likely advance the timeline a few years, and adjust Factions accordingly.

The playset isn’t entirely complete...there are a couple or items that aren’t described and a handful of Unit (crew) upgrades that aren’t described....but it’s manageable.

So far I’ve found the challenging element to be how to adapt the idea of the Score to an Operation. They’re similar, but there are also some meaningful differences. My players spent some time gathering info, for example, and they did so by monitoring a specific location and noting who comes and goes. But the game has “Stakeout” for an operation type. So one of the players asked “should we just expand on this a bit and turn it into an operation?”

We decided to leave it as gather info and then proceeded with an Arrest operation.

So there’s some adjustment from standard Blades. The PCs Actions are different as well, so that takes some getting used to. But I’m pretty comfortable with Blades, and so is my group, so when we run into an issue, we work it out.

All in all, it’s going pretty well so far. The Unit is investigating the murder of a low level street dealer in the hopes to move up the ladder for bigger targets. I think remembering that this is not about mystery, but more about how do you do this job in this city os important.

Blades is about a crew trying to fight the system. Flame Without Shadow is about a unit within that system trying to function.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
At the moment, D&D is pretty much it. But I have long history with VtM as well as the FFG’s 40k rpgs. I’ve dabbled in a lot of different games, and then there is an ongoing MERP campaign that is on a hiatus at the moment.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I feel you on needing the occasional break from GMing. Have a blast with that game. I'm going to get myself a copy since the price point is so reasonable. Now I know what I'm reading tonight. (y)

We have since played one session - just introduction of characters, a series of scenes establishing how each get into The City, and letting them try to formulate... a plan, if you wanna call it that.

Tomorrow my wife and I are jumping in on a game of Ghost Planets, a Fate-based game in which you play a team of people desperately trying to discover what has been destroying sentient cultures in the galaxy... before it comes for the humans.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
We have since played one session - just introduction of characters, a series of scenes establishing how each get into The City, and letting them try to formulate... a plan, if you wanna call it that.

Tomorrow my wife and I are jumping in on a game of Ghost Planets, a Fate-based game in which you play a team of people desperately trying to discover what has been destroying sentient cultures in the galaxy... before it comes for the humans.
Cool. I've read through the whole rules set and I still think it's fantastic. Now I just need the right group to play it with. That FATE game sounds like fun too. Sadly I don't get to play a lot of FATE. I have really limited access to players currently (location, not COVID) and they just aren't a FATE crowd. I really need to start playing online.

Remove ads