• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Adventures of All Time

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I still like the U (or Saltmarsh) series, even though the 2nd module can be completed in a matter of minutes if approached in the right manner ;)

I also liked a very old adventure from a White Dwarf magazine. It was more like a large detailed encounter, rather than an adventure, but I have used it a couple of times to great effect. I cannot remember its name, but it involves the PCs coming across a ruin in a wood and throughout the night, hauntings and strange happenings leave a trail of hints to tragic things that happened at the site. Very creepy.

There are few large modules I have ran more than once, and I have never really ran high level or long one's. As I have run MANY low level modules I know them better. Another name I seem to have forgotten (though it has 'night' in it), but was a great basic module involved protecting a homestead from a goblin horde throughout the night. That went on to many other fantastic adventure locales.

For newer adventures, i didn't mind the Forge of Fury for a cool location based adventure. There are others, but I am having trouble gathering my thoughts tonight and don't have any of the books here.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
My top 10 ten as of today (ask me tomorrow and it'll be a little different):

B1 In Search of the Unknown
B2 Keep on the Borderlands
B4 The Lost City
D1-2 Descent into the Depths of the Earth
L1 Secret of Bone Hill
S1 Tomb of Horror
T1 Village of Hommlet
WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
X1 Isle of Dread
X2 Castle Amber

What are the commonalities?
1. Prefunctory story. No real plot. It's a location for adventure. The DM and the players can figure out why the party's there and what they're doing.
2. Expandable. Begging to be expanded in some cases. What's over the next hill? Gets the creative juices flowing.
3. Short. 32 pages or less, densely packed with information, but quickly digested.
4. Replay value. As locations rather than plots, they never really go away. The pc's will go back to the Keep, back to Hommlet or Restenford, etc.
5. Generic. While ostensibly set in Greyhawk or the Kown World, all are easily shoved into whatever campaign setting needed.

R.A.

I think that a good deal of what makes a great adventure is how little work has to be done to it to fit it into one's campaign.

Examples of this:

Keep on The Borderlands
Crucible of Freya
Sunless Citadel
Assault on Blacktooth Ridge

Other great modules are mind-bogglingly huge in scope:

Queen of Spiders
Ruins of Undermountain
Rappan Athuk (counting all three products as one)

Still others present something utterly unique or something that had not really been seen before:

Isle of Dread
Ravenloft

Last edited:

Hjorimir

Adventurer
My favorites are:

B1: In Search of the Unknown (more because this was the very first dungeon I every experienced than anything else)

and

C2: Ghost Tower of Inverness (I can't really say why other than I remember having a TON of FUN when we went through it years and years and years ago)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Keep on the Borderlands

Secret of Bone Hill

Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Pharoah

Against the Giants

Tomb of Horrors

(not necessarily in that order)

DarrenGMiller

First Post
My favorites:

A1-4
U1-3
Tomb of Abysthor
Ravenloft / House on Gryphon Hill
Village of Hommlett
Crucible of Freya

I know that others have criticized the adventure path adventures from 3E, but Sunless Citadel, Standing Stone, Heart of Nightfang Spire all worked well for me.

DM

caudor

Adventurer
My favorites:

Original Dark Tower (Judges Guild)
Maltese Clue (Judges Guild)
Of Sound Mind
Cleric's Challenge II
Neither Man Nor Beast (Ravenloft)
Against the Giants

There are many others I like; these are just the top.

Crothian

First Post
Hjorimir said:
C2: Ghost Tower of Inverness (I can't really say why other than I remember having a TON of FUN when we went through it years and years and years ago)

I got a used copy cheap and just read through it. Besides learning I need to get another copy of it, it has a lot of cool and unique encounters. It is a thinker module not a slasher.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads